PDA

View Full Version : Strapping down a 1.5 Horse pump

lehrjetmx
07-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Hey any of you fine gents got any tricks on how to keep the vib's down on 1.5 horse pump. I just picked up this condo asso and they have a pump that is just laying on a concrete pad in a pump house pulling from a pond feeding the system. Just this week the 2 inch PVC fittings inlet and output broke loose. I how have a 4 inch gavl pipe male threaded coupler connected to the pump then to that a female threaded to slip pvc fitting. I want to mount the pump to the concrete but is there any bushings that I can put between the pump and the concrete? Any ideals????? Thanks again guys!!!!!

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 10:51 AM
My thought would be to get the bolt-hole layout of the pump and then to drill and set anchor bolts into the pad, then drop the pump onto the pad and bolt it down, maybe with stainless-steel nuts.

lehrjetmx
07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
There is bolts down in the pad already but then they don't line up go figure right. The pump was replaced a year ago I was just told. Is there any kind of bushing like a shock absorber I could use?

Dirty Water
07-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Boots has it right, Whoever replaced the pump last time was lazy.

JDUtah
07-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Your local hardware store, or auto parts store would have something to buffer the vibe? Maybe the pump manufacture sells something? Check there.

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't think you want to install any 'buffer' or material that can allow pump movement. Is the existing pump one that can be serviced or replaced with an identical one? If so, install new anchor bolts. You can grind or saw off the old bolts.

Or, you might cut and drill some u-channel steel, and attach it to the old bolts. Then you mount the pump on the steel channels, maybe having to use some steel plate atop the channels.

Kiril
07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Last edited by Wet_Boots : Today at 10:56 AM. Reason: additional wisdom

ROFL ...... :rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 12:06 PM
ROFL ...... :rolleyes:It was either that or "can't type fast enough to sneak in the edit unannounced"

regularguy
07-25-2008, 12:54 PM
To me that seems like alot of vibration. I have a three horse multistage pump that pulls water from a river and I don't have any vibration at all and my pump also sits on a concrete pad with no tie down whatsoever. I think I would look at the pump and ensure that all is well with it, a centrifugal pump shouldn't't vibrate like that. If you just strap or tie it down the vibration is going to go someplace and instead of breaking fittings you may break something else.

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 02:01 PM
I've had pumps sitting loose on pads and no worries, but the textbook method is to bolt the things to a great weight, like a concrete pad, to soak up the forces that move a pump in the first place.

Maybe Purp will check in from his geocaching and post a few pump photos from his jobsites.

Mike Leary
07-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Maybe Purp will check in from his geocaching and post a few pump photos from his jobsites.

Maybe he's lost. Would be good to hear from him. I come up through the slab
in sch 40 sleeves, use brass nipple stock on both ends of the pump, tamp
crushed gravel into the sleeves AND use stainless bolts w/rubber fender
washers.

Waterit
07-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Go to an A/C supply house and ask for some of the anti-vibration padding they use for roof-mounted units. It's about 1/2" thick, very dense rubber.

Wet_Boots
07-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Why would anyone want to allow any motion in a pump connected to PVC pipe? Can anyone show us some photos of a pump that vibrated itself into permanent failure?

Mike Leary
07-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Can anyone show us some photos of a pump that vibrated itself into permanent failure?

No can do, but had a client who's pump broke loose, shorted the wiring,
sent power into the galvie and kept supplying water. I went to turn on a hose bib and had a near-death experience. Pump guys bolted it down & squared away the wiring; client said her shower was not much fun after the fix.

AI Inc
07-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Im with boots on this one. A couple of bolts and collect the check.