PDA

View Full Version : Small timer needs advice - please!

BAMARED
01-17-2002, 04:58 PM
Good afternoon,
I have just spend the better part of an hour searching for an answer for my question using the "Search" feature. Never really found it as I probably wasn't querying it properly so here goes: I presently cut a few residential lots with my little $200 21" Yardman w/b. (6-8 yards per week during the season.) I was just wondering what was the widest deck that is offered in the <$600 range? Those 21" strips seem awful narrow and feel like another 6" or 8" would make a world of difference. I saw a 26" Stanley the other day at Wal-Mart for $599 and was wondering if this is the widest decked w/b that is offered in my price range? I simply can't afford the more expensive mowers with the velkies,etc. Maybe I can one day.

Thank you any info. that you can furnish,

Steve Parsons

mdb landscaping
01-17-2002, 05:30 PM
i think you are about maxed out for what you want. if you jump up to a 32 or 36 inch walkbehind, it will go above the price you want. maybe you should look around for a used commercial walk behind.

MATTHEW
01-17-2002, 06:25 PM
I agree. Get a used one. Once you get that extra width, you will probably take on more accounts. Then that homeowner model will fall apart in 2 years. Commercial mowers are built to last.

Lawn Dog2001
01-17-2002, 07:09 PM
Don't buy that 26. I was at Sears one day and I saw the same thing only it was a Craftsman. I cant see that thing holding up for a full season. It looked really cheaply made. Not worth $600. Face it all $600 will buy you is a better 21" mower. If you look for a 32" commercial WB with a 10.5 Briggs engine you might be able to do it for $1500. Thats the best your going to do.

Trust me. Its better to spend $1500 on something well built, than to spend $600 on a piece of junk.

Check out landscapersupply.com. They have some really cheap WBs. I dont know anything about them though.

Green Care
01-17-2002, 08:22 PM
Like they said I'm setting in the same park.

A used 32/36 would be good for yaaaaaaaaaa!

joshua
01-18-2002, 12:48 AM
sparsons, look at it like this would you rather spend $200 every year and ahalf for a new push mower or every 2 years. when you can buy a commercial w/b for $1500 and not worry about having to buy a new mower for the next 8-10 if you only cut those 6-8 properties a week. if you were to buy a 36" mower you'll work less and won't be as tired, and make more money in the time you spend working. posibly you'll be able to add 2-3 more lawns a week and work the same amount of time you did with a 21" mower and make even more money. go with a new 36" or 32" w/b. yea, it seems like alot of money but it will pay for itself by the end of this year.

MOW ED
01-18-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by sparsons
I simply can't afford the more expensive mowers with the velkies,etc. Maybe I can one day.

Steve, I am going to be blunt here not out of trying to upset you but to tell you that you really cannot afford to NOT buy a commercial walk behind.

You have to look at all angles of the business here and run you r business as such. The commercial machine is made to cut lawn for hours at a time, day in and day out. The homeowner equipment is made to cut a lawn once a week for an hour or so at a crack.

The commercial machines come in wider deck widths to cut lawn faster. There is a reason that the widest deck widths are 22" on the homeowner machines. They are low cost trim mowers.

This is the part that gets blunt. If you are insured and are paying taxes on your profits then you also can deduct your business expenses and depreciate the cost of equipment. I am not assuming that you aren't doing this but I am informing you of a way to afford this equipment if you are not aware of it. I also assume that you are charging a professional rate for the work that you do so you can increase your customer base by using professional equipment which cuts faster. So you can do more in the same time allotment and make more money.

Raise the bar and use professional equipment, we all can't afford NOT TO. Good Luck.

awm
01-18-2002, 09:22 AM
i once sold a kees 36 inch walk behind for 400 bucks.
excellent mower i just wasnt using it and needed money fast.
do i wish i had it back yep. keep your eye on the want ads and ebay u should be able to find someone needing cash . later now

keifer
01-18-2002, 09:26 AM
This is a little more but is a 26. snapper makes one with a robin motor 6 speed caster front wheels looks nice for around 8 hundred. The stanly is fair but has a tachumsa motor.forget it.

V.H. lass
01-18-2002, 12:39 PM
If You can't afford a commercial 32 or 36 walkbehind, try a toro 21 inch personal pace mower or a honda mower they can be found in your price range. They are good mowers and people in the biz do used them as trim mowers. But rember they are not commercial but with 6-8 lawns they should do the job until you can go bigger

heybruck34
01-18-2002, 01:51 PM
I can speak from experience-

I bought a used (albeit- well used ) SCAG 48 Belt w/b for $450 bucks. If you have some mechanical knowledge you can find deals since this one didn't run when I bought it. BUT- within two hours of handing my money over I had it running (gummed up carb on the 14hp Kawa...) . Yeh- it was really rusty and had a lot of worn out parts but I'd say about 200 dollars of would cover the MUST replace parts. Then, as you recoup your initial investment, you can purchase the parts that should be replaced but weren't worn out.

I tore the whole thing down, sandblasted, painted, and replaced EVERYTHING that was somewhat worn or rusty. The whole thing cost me 1200 total because I did ALL the work. My local SCAG dealer even offered me a job! haha

So basically, I have a brand new walkbehind for an initial investment of 450 + 200 or so. And I'm not even in the biz- I just want a mower that will last around my house.

If you want to find these deals- call all the dealers in your area. I looked in the classifieds for months and didn't find one deal. After making about 5 calls I had my choice between 5 or 6 in all the same price range- Bunton, Toro, eXmark, SCAG... you name it.

Hope that helps- buy some wrenches and save some money!!!

MOW ED
01-18-2002, 02:27 PM
Steve,
Clear out your e-mail. I sent you a response to the e-mail but yours was returned to me because your quota was exceeded.
I also was gonna try personal messages but you cant recieve one.