PDA

View Full Version : CAST Bullet Area Light (path)

Mike M
07-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used this or anything similar, and has any feedback.

A prospective customer was requesting a bullet pointed down from a stem, instead of the usual china-hat path.

Thanks.

irrig8r
07-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Why?

What effect does the customer want to achieve?

Chris J
07-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Why?

What effect does the customer want to achieve?

That is my thought, exactly. That type of fixture, IMHO, is more ugly and obnoxious than the plastic pagodas. Can you talk him out of it? I would try.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Ditto both Gregg and Chris.

Many manufacturers make bullets on stems Mike. Hunza, Vista, Lumiere, etc etc etc.

The only time I have ever used them is when uplighting a tree that is amidst a lot of juniper shrubs. The stem gets the bullets up out of the undergrowth. Of course a more economical way to do this is to build you own custom stem.

Have a great day.

poiuy qwerty
07-26-2008, 09:40 AM
We have used it at the customers request at the top of a set of stairs pointing down to illuminate the stairs and path. Not what I would have picked out but the customer is always right.... right?

Mike M
07-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I pointed him away. Funny, now that I think about it. I never saw one in hand, just the pic's.

steveparrott
07-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Mike, CAST makes a bullet on a stem. It's called a Bullet Area Light (CBAL1CB). It's often used when you need to extend a bullet up and out of some plant material. It's also used for grazing driveways, retaining walls and the like.

JoeyD
07-28-2008, 11:24 AM
We sell riser stems in Brass and copper that you can thread any bullet light into for this application.

David Gretzmier
07-28-2008, 05:44 PM
I've used a 1/2" copper pipe, 24" long for the stem/stake and female 1/2" threads on end to mound a mr-11 bullet. you can pound the stem/stake in as deep as youlike to adjust height, then epoxy on the female fitting. costwise around 15 bucks or so. About triple what it was 3 years ago, but still a pretty good deal.

Pro-Scapes
08-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Only time we have used them is for uplighting crepes that were surrounded by azaleas. Brought them up to the perfect level

irrig8r
08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Only time we have used them is for uplighting crepes that were surrounded by azaleas. Brought them up to the perfect level

I'm assuming you mean crape myrtles, and yes, that sounds like a good application. With the amount of debris they shed (leaves, flowers, seed pods, even bark strips) I bet keeping them higher off the ground helps to keep them cleared. Better than opening holes in the azaleas too.

I've customized NS Coverliters myself adding a coupling and length of copper pipe to (for instance) clear a boulder or shrub to hit an angle I want on a waterfall. Of course I also had to extend the leads w/ some #18.

Up close you can see the coupling, but from a distance, not. I also found an adhesive in the plumbing dept. of a local Ace hardware designed for copper that is easier than soldering.

Tomwilllight
08-01-2008, 12:49 PM
It makes some sense when lighting a stairway leading up a hill when viewed from across the way. Most pathlights will create glare when your eye is lower than the cap.

I recently pulled out a bunch of Black BK Sign Stars that were used in such an application. They worked OK but the client didn't like the look. I installed moonlight to fix the problem. The moonlight softness looks much better than the harshness of the too close Sign Stars. The hillside view is now about the flowering beds on each side of the rustic stairway, not the stairway.

The natural location of the light illumination also makes it easier to see the stairs for safer passage.

Tom