PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Problems with Walker and Echo

Lawnze
01-17-2002, 07:53 PM
1st and foremost, THANKS for the information ya'll provide. I'm starting part time this year. I've decided on a Walker 20HP/42". The market around here calls for alot of bagging I'm told. I'm considering Echo all the way on everything else because of my budget. Any suggestions or past problems anyone can provide me with.(Redmax,Kawasaki are too high after pricing the Walker)

E-man
01-17-2002, 08:21 PM
Walker makes the best bagging unit out there imho .I have had no problems with mine and its two years old with 1200 hours on it.
as for echo the few pieces I have I had no problem with.

If you do proper maintenace on anything it should last you a long time.

good luck

Lawn Dog2001
01-17-2002, 08:45 PM
You cant go wrong with Echo in my opinion. I have a pb1000 blower and a srm2400 trimmer. The blower I have had for about 8 years now with no troubles at all. The srm2400 is only a year old. I bought it to replace my old srm2100 that was also in its eighth season. I have never had to replace anything that wasn't routine maintainence.

I have a Stihl fs85 trimmer also. I am pretty satisfied with it also. Its about a year old.

Ray&Christine
01-17-2002, 08:55 PM
I bought my first Walker last spring. 16 H.P. 36 inch side discharge deck & 36 inch GHS deck. Excellent machine,can get through most gates.(only need my 32 inch Toro wb at a couple accounts) Amazing for gathering leaves, it even sucks up wet leaves without jamming. If had to buy another one I don't think I would buy 2 decks, I would just get the GHS and install the No-Catch shute, it would save some money. I also made several Echo tool, blowers, trimmer, Mult-tool with no major problems I would recommend Echo.

Ray

Jason Burke
01-17-2002, 10:08 PM
I've got a 16 with 42 inch deack and looking int a 26EFI with 54 inch GHS deck with 74 inch mulch deck. We also run echo can't go wrong there had ours for years with no major problems. Ever need any opinions give me aCall. Be glad to help ya. Were down here in Dothan. Best of luck in your new business you will do well.

BigJim
01-18-2002, 06:14 AM
Only one mower in it when it comes to bagging.. .C:\My Documents\Lawn Stuff\big jim3.jpg

Atlantic Lawn
01-18-2002, 06:59 AM
Echo or Stihl both are good choices in this neck of the woods.Enjoy your Walker.

MOW ED
01-18-2002, 08:31 AM
I've owned Walkers for 4 years and can say that if you have to bag then its the way to go. The 20 hp has been around for a long time and is a solid performer. The Walker Company is great for the cutter.
I have run the 42 GHS the whole time and have the no-catch deflector. I mostly bag in the spring and the fall (leafs and spring thatch) but I have a few customers that require the grass bagged year round.
Believe it or not I use a Homelite trimmer that just won't die so I currently have no use for a "Commercial" trimmer. I no it goes against many Pros way of thinking but I have so little trimming after using the Walker that I cant justify the 400 bucks. Spend your money on a commercial backpack blower and use it for spring and fall cleans as well as day to day cleaning.

You won't be the fastest on the straightaways but you will have less trimming than some of the other guys. Good Luck.

Todd Cannon
01-18-2002, 10:17 AM
I don't have any experience with Walker mowers. They must be great mowers from the comments I've read over the years. On Echo products, I was a loyal fan, everything Echo. However, we have had 2 2601 trimmers go down, one locked up and the other lost power considerably. I never had a problem with my old 2501. Echo seems to be concentrating on lighter products and the equipment appears to be suffering a little. Echo is still a good company but we have been shifting to Shindaiwa for the last couple of years. It is more expensive but it seems to run forever with almost no down time.

TLS
01-18-2002, 10:51 AM
As for Walker, I have never owned one, and except for shows and magazine ads, I had never seen one in use. They are expensive, and simply CAN'T be compared to a regular ZTR. Both have their strong points. If you HAVE to bag, get a Walker. No bagging? Then there are plenty of other less expensive choices.

As for Echo, I've owned a few of these. I also have a 2501 that I just cant kill. May finally retire it this season if a promo comes about on a new one.

One VERY important thing to consider with Echo....Buy the TOP OF THE LINE models! Stay AWAY from the Home Cheapo models! Most of the complaints in this forum on Echo products are on the lesser expensive models.

Good Luck

slplow
01-18-2002, 12:46 PM
Jason Burke, I herd that walker was working on a 54'' ghs deck that was in the fall and didn't look good them selling it this yr. I my self would go out and buy one today if they were selling them. Right now I have 20hp with the 48'' ghs deck and love it but it is slow. I might try the speed - up kit

walker-talker
01-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Jason Burke
I've got a 16 with 42 inch deack and looking int a 26EFI with 54 inch GHS deck with 74 inch mulch deck. We also run echo can't go wrong there had ours for years with no major problems. Ever need any opinions give me aCall. Be glad to help ya. Were down here in Dothan. Best of luck in your new business you will do well.

Correct me (anyone) if I am wrong, but Walker does not make a 54 GHS nor a 74 mulch deck. Thought the largest GHS deck is the 48 and Walker has expiermented with a 72 SD deck, but is not out on the market yet.

If you are going t catch, then Walker is for you. Spring clean up, scalping and leaves allow the Walker to shine. I have a 2000 model with the 26 EFI. I love my Walker. It's small and works well with the lawns that I mow. I know nothing about ECHO products, but from what I have heard is all good.

MATT

PRECISION LC
01-18-2002, 05:24 PM
walker-talker
you are correct, the largest bagger for a walker is a 48" and the biggest s/d is a 72"

RMDoyon
01-18-2002, 05:54 PM
walker-talker and PRECISION you're both wrong:)

Walker's largest SD deck will be the 74" when it comes out.

Until then, the largest SD is the 62".

Roger

Jason Burke
01-18-2002, 11:44 PM
Excuse Me Gentlemen, The correct size of the mulching deck will be 72 inches and yes the demo that we used did have a ( 54" GHS deck)on a 25 EFI. Plan to get one in April if Walker and local dealer can get everything together to complete the deal.;)

TLS
01-18-2002, 11:55 PM
Wait a minute here guys....

I'm, by far, no expert on Walkers, but....
I have seen the ads in Turf Mag. about their 74" deck.
Don't know what their biggest mulching deck is, but that is NOT what was typed here.
Also, there is no such thing as a 25hp EFI.

They are a nice peice of equipment, very well built, but VERY complex. For me, there is just too much mower behind the drive tires to swing into things. They are about 1 FOOT LONGER overall than a comparable ZTR. In tight areas, I would prefer a 72" ZTR!

Jason Burke
01-19-2002, 12:08 AM
Walker-Talker what size walker mowers are you currently operating? Also, are you running any mulching decks? With or without Raptor brand blades? We are looking into running Raptor blades with mulching and bagging to reduce the amount of material being removed from some of our large commercial accounts that require us to bag clippings. They require bagging due to the fact the have some trees that have a tendency to lose leaves year round. If you were curious about the decks. I had a district salesmen for South Alabama from Walker bring out both models and to tell you the truth, I am not sure if the 72" mulching deck was a Walker original product, but it smoked the Ex-Mark with the mulching job done side by side. The only problem was it was a little slower, but we are looking for quality not quantity. Our customer base will pay for quality. The 54" was on the 25 EFI and it was a demo product that I hope we can get our hands on the package deal in April when they plan to cut it loose. :blob3:

Green Care
01-19-2002, 02:34 AM
Can only speak for Echo holds up well.

captdevo
01-19-2002, 05:14 AM
i've run walkers for quite a while......and only have 5 right now.

not sure who, what or where a 72" mulcher came from, but i don't think it's Walker. (sure it wasn't a 62" with doubles??)

they have come out with a 74" gear driven, 4 blade, side discharge deck.

the largest GHS deck is a 48" (they have been trying out a 54" or 56" GHS, but don't hold your breath)

they have replaced the old 54" SD deck with the new 56" SD

they are producing a 25hp Kohler Aegis liquid cooled on Walkers, it's not EFI, but they are slow going also.

Kohler is making a 24hp EFI, but it's not on Walkers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An MT20GHS with a 42" deck will last you forever, plenty of power to run all the other decks, accessories and implements.

As far as price, Walker is very comparable to other mowers front mount, mid mount ztr's and tractors, and you can't beat the versatility!!

But!!! The Walker will keep a higher resale value than any other.

Get a speed up kit $20 and you'll out perform everything else as far as manueverability, versatility and comfortability!!

BTW...... if you can, go with RedMax, you'll be glad you did in the long run!!

richard coffman
01-19-2002, 06:44 PM
well,

I've been in the lawn care business for a long while and I can't say much on any problems I've ever had with the echo's, I'f your just starting up and kinda low on the doe, echo will be fine untill you get up to doing 200 accounts a week, then I'd switch gears and buy the Shindaiwa. it's Very light but not on the performance or it's reputation. it's also balanced very well so ya won't fell the pain in your arms at the end of the day. Usually starts on the first pull every time and it's very easy on gas, I'll usually go through 2 tank fill-up's per day on a full production day. Look in to and you'll not be sorry.

Richard Coffman/owner
Special Needs Lawn Care.

big james
01-20-2002, 12:43 PM
I have used Echo for four years ,I had my trailer full of equip. stolen and I replaced my stuff with Echo .I noticed a decline in the quality of their products ,I was shocked .If I had to do it all over again I would try out Kawasaki's string trimmer ,I demo'd one and was impressed.:( :angel: