PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Landing Pad Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Well I have a challenge ahead of me.

I have been handed a large estate project and part of it (aside from the two residences, twin boathouses, boys-toy garage, sports plex, interconnecting paths, drives, gardens, decks, etc etc etc) is a helicopter landing pad!

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/commercial/bell430.cfm

The client wants me to handle everything. I would expect that the landing pad lighting will have to meet an Aviation spec as well as some sort of federal regulations.

Has anyone out there lit a helicopter landing pad? Any hints on where to go looking for information or a specification?

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-26-2008, 12:56 AM
OR, I could just start with Google. LOL

http://www.pointlighting.com/pdf/0HELI_DESIGN.pdf

Thanks James....

Hey, No problem James.

Lite4
07-26-2008, 01:48 AM
I have landed and taken off of several.

Eden Lights
07-26-2008, 01:11 PM
That's easy, Check this one out I did this summer.

Lite4
07-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Perfect, now you just need a flashing White, Yellow, Green strobe to alert all aircraft it is a heliport.

Swampy
07-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I know there is a federal regulation for the lighting and the grass, If I can remember the grass must but kept below 2'', no wind rows, no clippings on the pad, and in the State of WI must look over your equipment to be used every 3 months for lose bolts/parts

I think I found you some thing. The reg number: 150/5340–17A
PDF link: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/193323a57f033c1186256c690074f876/$FILE/150-5340-17B.pdf

EDIT: OPPS this for USA not canada but it should be along those lines

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys.

No grass on this landing pad, it will be ashphalt for sure, and probably radiant heated for snow removal by the sounds of things. Should be an interesting process.

Have a great day.

Stillwater
07-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Well I have a challenge ahead of me.

I have been handed a large estate project and part of it (aside from the two residences, twin boathouses, boys-toy garage, sports plex, interconnecting paths, drives, gardens, decks, etc etc etc) is a helicopter landing pad!

http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/commercial/bell430.cfm

The client wants me to handle everything. I would expect that the landing pad lighting will have to meet an Aviation spec as well as some sort of federal regulations.

Has anyone out there lit a helicopter landing pad? Any hints on where to go looking for information or a specification?

Have a great day.

heli's are my hobby. Their is massive FAA regs on airfield lighting, I suggest you contact the FAA directly and request their latest construction requirements. Their most likely will be several different types of lighting you be mandated to install, along with radio receiving equipment for a pilot lighting control system. You will need a beacon on a tower a lighted wind sock,approch and contact led's and hooded ground lighting and a butt load of inspections and permits. U.S. Civil Standard Instrument Approach Procedures are designed and approved for public use by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and are unique to each location so you need them to tell you what that area can be approved for.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-28-2008, 12:59 AM
Yes I kind of figured that Transport Canada would have a number of Aviation Regulations when it comes to landing areas and lighting, much like your FAA.

I will probably end up subbing out the technical design and standard for this part of the project. It is best to stick with what you know when it comes to such things.

Regards.

Stillwater
07-28-2008, 01:21 AM
Yes I kind of figured that Transport Canada would have a number of Aviation Regulations when it comes to landing areas and lighting, much like your FAA.

I will probably end up subbing out the technical design and standard for this part of the project. It is best to stick with what you know when it comes to such things.

Regards.

Sorry I did not realise you were in canada I would bet your standards and red tape are just as high.