PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic - RC GAS BOATS

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Last year we had a thread going about Radio Control Boats and someone suggested a really cool RTR Gas Boat to me.

I cannot find it in the search and I am hoping to get the info again. (Its time to buy some toys!)

Please help... thanks.

Supertiger
07-26-2008, 10:59 AM
go to horizonhobbies.com they have everything under the sun. or Nitomodels.com

cgaengineer
07-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Last year we had a thread going about Radio Control Boats and someone suggested a really cool RTR Gas Boat to me.

I cannot find it in the search and I am hoping to get the info again. (Its time to buy some toys!)

Please help... thanks.

I had a couple of hand built ones, not what you are looking for but a boatload of fun! I had a 40" V hull with a 7.5 K&B and a Budweiser with 3.5 K&B outboard...both were very fast.

I currently have a Miss Budweiser hydro RTR that I would sell if you are interested. Here is a link to the exact boat http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB2200

Mine has a brand new engine as the first one locked up on its first outing. I got a replacement engine under warranty and never took it back out. You would need fuel, glow starter and batteries for it. PM me if you are interested.

If in doubt of my honesty please talk with JoeyD, he can vouch for me.

Mike M
07-26-2008, 06:55 PM
James, Billy was all over that thread.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-28-2008, 01:03 AM
I am actually looking for GAS boats guys, not Nitro boats. Way more fun, way faster and not as tempermental.

Thanks but I think I will just have to wait for Billy to get back to me with the name of his RC boat.

Regards.

cgaengineer
07-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I am actually looking for GAS boats guys, not Nitro boats. Way more fun, way faster and not as tempermental.

Thanks but I think I will just have to wait for Billy to get back to me with the name of his RC boat.

Regards.

I agree with the temperment of Nitro, but not the speed...The average Nitro will smoke a gas burner any day of the week.

irrigation man
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
they are one of the best around alot of models rtr available they are in florida,i run them in the namba series and have won many events(north american model boat association) you cant go wrong ask for tony these boats fly go to their website and take a look

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks IrrigationMan... I just bought one from their website.

Have a great day.

cgaengineer
07-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks IrrigationMan... I just bought one from their website.

Have a great day.

The suspense is killing me...which one did you get?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-29-2008, 09:19 AM
I ordered a tricked out Team Pro... Red, M5 engine upgrade, installed radio, detailed dash, driver & throttle man, upgraded bearings, machined choke lever, Alum. Velocity Stack with diffuser, Decal Set.

It should be a fun ride... a nice toy for my Son of course! :)

JoeyD
07-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm surprised Billy hasnt been here and jumped in. He is big into these RC Gas Powered boats.

cgaengineer
07-29-2008, 02:02 PM
I ordered a tricked out Team Pro... Red, M5 engine upgrade, installed radio, detailed dash, driver & throttle man, upgraded bearings, machined choke lever, Alum. Velocity Stack with diffuser, Decal Set.

It should be a fun ride... a nice toy for my Son of course! :)

That looks like a super model...much easier to buy one complete then to have to rig everything...hopefully you have a large lake and a recovery vessel in case you need to tow in your downed boat. If you run parallel to the shore you can use a fishing rod with a tennis ball attached for recovery if the boat stalls and eliminate the need for a canoe or john boat.

Take some pictures...I'd love to see it in action.

Pro-Scapes
07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
they are one of the best around alot of models rtr available they are in florida,i run them in the namba series and have won many events(north american model boat association) you cant go wrong ask for tony these boats fly go to their website and take a look

Yep I have now had 2 tony castronovo built boats. He knows his stuff... his prices are reasonable and he has my vintage homelite powered gator doing 47mph right now. I am going to build a thunderboat with a 6hp castronovo prepped motor this winter that should see 60 plus mph.

Warehouse hobbies rocks.. if you want a twin powered or even a 4 cyl boat then bonsi sports rocks too but you better open up that wallet. (up to 84 inches long powered by twin inlines can run 6k plus)

James you might wanna get a PCM FM radio on that and dial out the throttle considerably. Thats a ton of boat to handle and should see 50mph. If you get into rougher water you might wanna jump to an 80mm or 82mm prop and adjust the drive angle. I changed out to an Octura strut and rudder set up. Its a bit slower out of the hole but it sits further behind the boat and really makes a huge diff in rough water. (flat water is boring)

Dont run just 50;1 mix... 32:1 with the amsoil will help that engine run just fine. I like to run 89 octane in mine.

This thing is NOT a toy. I dont know how old your son is but you might be better off with getting him something else like a brushless boat. Rememeber its a surface drive. No throttle no steering for the most part and there is definatly no brakes or reverse. These boats can kill if you hit someone with them.

I dont think I got pics of my modified G last week.. I had it in 2 ft chop and boy was that a ride.

Hope your good with fiberglass repair. I cliped a stick at 40mph and it ripped a gash in my hull

JoeyD
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Yep I have now had 2 tony castronovo built boats. He knows his stuff... his prices are reasonable and he has my vintage homelite powered gator doing 47mph right now. I am going to build a thunderboat with a 6hp castronovo prepped motor this winter that should see 60 plus mph.

Warehouse hobbies rocks.. if you want a twin powered or even a 4 cyl boat then bonsi sports rocks too but you better open up that wallet. (up to 84 inches long powered by twin inlines can run 6k plus)

James you might wanna get a PCM FM radio on that and dial out the throttle considerably. Thats a ton of boat to handle and should see 50mph. If you get into rougher water you might wanna jump to an 80mm or 82mm prop and adjust the drive angle. I changed out to an Octura strut and rudder set up. Its a bit slower out of the hole but it sits further behind the boat and really makes a huge diff in rough water. (flat water is boring)

Dont run just 50;1 mix... 32:1 with the amsoil will help that engine run just fine. I like to run 89 octane in mine.

This thing is NOT a toy. I dont know how old your son is but you might be better off with getting him something else like a brushless boat. Rememeber its a surface drive. No throttle no steering for the most part and there is definatly no brakes or reverse. These boats can kill if you hit someone with them.

I dont think I got pics of my modified G last week.. I had it in 2 ft chop and boy was that a ride.

Hope your good with fiberglass repair. I cliped a stick at 40mph and it ripped a gash in my hull

I was wondering when you were going to join this topic!

Pro-Scapes
07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
sorry i aint been on much.

James you got the same hull as my G... Yours will be slightly heavier due to the hatch. I preffer to run open hatch for air flow reasons. I didtched the velocity stack and fabricated a "scoop" to simulate ram air and it seemed to be good for a couple of rpm.

Couple tips.. If its insane hot out you will need to lean out your boat slightly.. When it cools down you will wanna richen it up slightly because the air is more dense when it is cool. My boat ran like crap the other day... To hot and humid but ones I leaned it about a quarter turn it took off like virgin on prom night.

Its going to the shop tmrw for a full custom graphics lay out. Joey is going to love the name.

klkanders
07-30-2008, 09:21 PM
So you are saying it was off like a prom dress? ahh the humor. Good to have you back Billy...but make sure you get permission if you are gonna be gone for an extended period of time again. Thanks! :)

Keith

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for all the tips there Billy... I will be referring to those after I get the boat for sure.

Don't worry, My Son will not be "playing" with this boat. I bought him a really nice Traxxas Villian EX last year. He has pretty much mastered it and I feel left out when we head down to the lake to play... hence the gas boat for Daddy.

Should be lots of fun.

Pro-Scapes
07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Dont expect this Gas boat to handle real nimble like the villian does. 2 totally different beasts. With the steerable outdrives on that traxxas boat it will turn on a dime. At speed your gas toy will require a much much larger distance. Last week I put a pcm synthisised radio in to end all interferance.. I got my dual rates wide open so I can spin it out if I get in trouble but it still doesnt handle anywhere like my wifes electric.

Make SURE you use a 6v battery pack in the boat. If not your going to have sluggish steering even with a 1/4scale servo.

Again this thing is NOT a toy. If you got the M5 Tony should have it pretty dialed in for you. You will prolly need to run a tank or 2 then lean it about a quarter turn in on the needles after you break it in.

JoeyD
07-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Billy has never really owned one of these RC Boats, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn last night..............

I hope you name it the Italian Stallion.......if you name it the BQL or Encore I am going to come to Mississippi my self and run the boat over! LOL

Pro-Scapes
08-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Guess James aint got his toy yet. Either that or he is trying to figure our how to put some LED's in it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-09-2008, 08:57 AM
They were closed for a vacation all this past week Billy... My boat has not even been built yet. The LEDs are a great idea!!! Red & Green on the bow and a nice white one on a stem on the stern... then I can legally run it at night. :)

Pro-Scapes
08-10-2008, 09:20 AM
They were closed for a vacation all this past week Billy... My boat has not even been built yet. The LEDs are a great idea!!! Red & Green on the bow and a nice white one on a stem on the stern... then I can legally run it at night. :)

Your goign to have a hard time handeling this thing during the day with a light ripple. Its not about being able to see the boat at night. Can you see whats out there is the problem.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-10-2008, 01:02 PM
It was sort of a joke Billy... I dont have time to run a RC boat at night... to busy aiming lights! :)

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Well I received the ENFORCER on Friday last...

WOW! what an insanely wild ride that thing is!!! :dizzy:

A bit of fine tuning on the trim tabs and we (my son and I) were blowing the seadoo's out of the water! This thing is F A S T. :)

A very cool "toy". And the Boy had fun too... I just put a throtle stop on the servo and let him play around at about 1/2 speed.

http://69.49.183.35/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TeamPro

Pro-Scapes
08-22-2008, 08:59 AM
glad you like it. be sure to get some pics for us of you and your new toy and possibly a video. You must have some slow seadoos up there if your blowing them away. Seadoos here do 60-65 and there is no way your boat is doing that especially in a light chop.

If you think thats fast you need to see what im building this winter.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Thankfully the seadoos around here don't blast around at full speed in close proximity to the docks. I am pretty sure they would beat the RC boat in top speed, but off the line they dont have a chance.

I can't wait to try the boat on some early morning glass. :)

Keep me in the loop with your winter project billy...

Now to get some other Dads around here interested so that we can get some races going.

Pro-Scapes
08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
There are some races here but one group is electric only and another group is electric and nitro. No one around here really runs the gas boats

I got eaten alive by a brushless hacker powered 30" cat but when he was headed back to the dock 5 min later to recharge I was still out. I think he only got in 10 min of run time compared for my 40 min. 6 " to 1 ft of chop and I dominate the water. Bigger than that and Im the only one with a boat in the water.