PDA

View Full Version : foldable trailer sides?

born2farm
07-26-2008, 11:10 AM
ok guys here is my idea.

im looking to put 2ft sides on my trailer. these will be used year round for hauling mulch and debris.

in the fall i would like to have 4ft sides because i will be blowing leaves into my trailer.

here is the question. i would like to make them out of either 3/4 or 1 inch treated plywood. would it work to say rip the sheets downt he middle then put some heavy duty hinges on them with some latches. That way i could leave them folded down during the mowing season but in the fall or when i need taller sides flip them up and latch them??

seabee1
07-26-2008, 11:40 AM
well they will have to clear the fender's in the middle ,i think it would be better to have them removable out of light gauge steel or aluminum ,due to the warping an loss of longevity of plywood .might make a light metal frame and use a 3/8 plywood pannel,could make a double fold down removable side .use 1/8x 1 aluminum angle to slip into stake pockets . make them in section's depending on how long your trailer is .:weightlifter:

Travis E
07-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Post a picture of the trailer so i can see how the siderails are, i have some ideas for you but need to see the trailer first to make sure it will work.

born2farm
07-26-2008, 03:59 PM
well the fenders are on the outside of the frame rails. i was planning on bolting the first section right to the trailer and maybe making some 2x4 stake pockets for the top section to slide in...ill try and get a pic of the trailer tonight elwer.

Travis E
07-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Get your self some 3/4 inch treated plywood, like BC grade i think it is. Rip them down to 2' sections. Bolt the 2' sections to the siderails. Then you might have to do like you said and cut stake pockets in the trailer deck to fit a 2 by 4 in it to strenthen the 2' bottom sectino more so that when you put the other 2' on for the fall it will hold it more secure. When you do the top 2', attach a 4' section of a 2 by 4 and run it right next to the 2 by 4 that holds the bottom section. Bolt the 3/4" plywood to the rails with 3/8' bolts and lock nuts, same with attaching the 2 by 4's to the plywood...this willl strenthen it alot. when you put the top 2' on, just bolt those 2 by 4's to the bottom section of the plywood. I like woodworking :) If you need me to reprase this let me know. BTW maybe even make corner brackets to secure the top sections when applied, will keep the whole thing more secure.