PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Lighting Cost

blide
07-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey everyone! Been lurking these forums for a while and really enjoy them!

I was hoping someone might give me a little advice. I've done my own lighting in the past with the HomeDepot cheap stuff and want to jump into the better equipment. I have recently got a professional to give me a quote on landscape lighting and I can't figure out if it's high or not because I'm just not sure of the equipment or labor costs these days.

The total quote is for-

FX Luminare Equipment Installed
9 Fixtures, 1 Transformer, Installation - $1800
or
12 Fixtures, 1 Transformer, Installation - $2340

Just not sure what I'm getting since I've alway done installs with cheap equipment and free labor.

Thanks for your help!
Bill in TX :)

blide
07-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Oh forgot to add that the company is "lighting only" and aren't water boys or any other landscape combos. :usflag:

S&MLL
07-26-2008, 04:03 PM
At 195 a fixture I would hop on the 12 lights. Just do some research on the company before you sign the papers. Not sure about the FX thing. Never used them. Im sure other guys on here have.

Lite4
07-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Sounds very reasonable to me. We are talking about a whole different class of light fixture than what you are used to. I would agree with the advice that S&MLL gave you about checking out the guys work and finding out if he maintains what he installs.

NightScenes
07-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Where are you in Texas Bill? I'm in the Austin area myself. I also think that you should check out this company to make sure that they will be there if anything goes wrong. The pricing is very reasonable, not knowing what the install entails. Is there any down/moon lighting? Just curious.

Good luck with your project,

TXNSLighting
07-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeh where in Texas are you? Im in the DFW area. Thats a good price but low for the texas region.. Just do research on the company like everyone else has said. Get references and pictures of THEIR work.

irrig8r
07-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Well what specific fixtures are we talking about?

There's a big difference between FX's different lines of fixtures... and it is reflected in the cost.

On the lower end, the CF uses a PAR-36 in a pretty well designed plastic can with a debris screen.

An RS aluminum body MR-16 uplight is sort of the middle.

There's the MU for more customizing options, with various lenses and spacer rings...

Or you could go to the LR for a copper body, and finally the LO for solid brass.

Same range of materials with their pathlights and downlights.

Chris J
07-26-2008, 10:45 PM
All in all, that's a good price even if it is aluminum FX. On average, you should expect to pay between 250 & 300 for a job that small. Maybe more for the quality lighting guys. Research the company. Call the BBB. Ask specific questions about a license, service agreement, warranty (labor not product), If you really want to have some fun, ask the guy how many watts is allowable on 12 guage wire. If he doesn't say 240, but 192 allowable by NEC (80%) then you know you have a frog in your pocket.

Lite4
07-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Sorry, I am not from the south. What is the benefit of having a frog in your pocket? If it is just an expression, where did it originate from? This is coming from a curious Yankee. Thanks

blide
07-27-2008, 12:27 AM
I've done a little research on the company and they seem very reputable (10yrs of buisness) and also sell yearly maintenance plans for 1% of the install cost which includes bulb changes, cleaning, shrub trimming maintenance (blocking light), and etc.. The owner seemed very nice and authentic, but since I was dealing with something I didn't know enough about I thought I would ask you guys. :drinkup:

S&MLL
07-27-2008, 01:46 AM
1 %. I wonder if he would come to NJ and be my sub for that. Hell ill pay him 2%. Bulbs alone on 12 fixtures is more than 24 dollars

Chris J
07-27-2008, 09:07 AM
I think he probably meant to say 10%. Anyway, if you trust him and feel good about it the price is right. Get yourself some outdoor lighting!

Chris J
07-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Sorry, I am not from the south. What is the benefit of having a frog in your pocket? If it is just an expression, where did it originate from? This is coming from a curious Yankee. Thanks

It is an expression, but not describing a benefit. I honestly don't know where I heard that, nor do I know where it came from.

blide
07-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Hehe, yeah I meant to say 10%....:hammerhead:

I told him I was a DIY guy and he informed me whatever I do don't go to homedepot and etc. to buy replacement bulbs because they were not good due to the way they're made. :dancing:

irrig8r
07-27-2008, 01:22 PM
1 %. I wonder if he would come to NJ and be my sub for that. Hell ill pay him 2%. Bulbs alone on 12 fixtures is more than 24 dollars

A true professional always refers to them as "lamps"...:laugh:

David Gretzmier
07-27-2008, 04:14 PM
The price looks a little low to me for a smaller job, but it sounds like this guy is in the right range. I use a lot of fx suff and it is quality in all lines and areas. their trans are top notch. If the guy has good referances, then go for it. 10% to rebulb each year is normal. good luck !

S&MLL
07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
A true professional always refers to them as "lamps"...:laugh:

Sorry........MR16 12v 35w 60* LAMPS cost more then 1% hahaha

David Gretzmier
07-27-2008, 10:39 PM
I think of lamps as those things in my living room at home and beside my bed that provide light. Standing corrected, I will now refer to them as bulbs. looking around, some of my bulbs need their lamps replaced.