PDA

View Full Version : Redthread first: Then Nutsedge,Chickweed,Clover

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Alright everyone...

I live in New England in a very sandy soil climate...I just acquired a house with a disease ridden lawn...A first The redthread was rampant allover about 3/4 of the acre of this Kentuck bluegrass lawn..I determined the lack of nitrogen in my soil was a major factor in the abundance of the fungus..I studied it and resolved that a good shot of nitrogen to the lawn was the solution..

Well it was, the Redthread was gone...I work for a predominant tree company that does lawn care as well as irrigation..Well Today I mowed my grass an noticed the clover nutsedge and chickweed were all over now..

Does anyone have any suggestions as how to go about getting ahead on these problems? I do not have a sprayers license but a few of my buddies @ the company do....

Thanks in advance for any advice

xoxo csr

mngrassguy
07-26-2008, 07:02 PM
They should spray your lawn for free.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-26-2008, 08:01 PM
They should spray your lawn for free.

with?

si vous plait

mngrassguy
07-26-2008, 09:33 PM
You say your company sprays lawns. I spray all my employees lawns for free. They should know what to spray it with. What are they using now? Are you going to request a herbicide they don't have or use? I would start with a good 3-way like Vessel but thats what I have here in Mn for use on Kentucky Bluegrass.

RigglePLC
07-27-2008, 12:59 PM
If it got red thread, chances are it is mostly perennial ryegrass. The fertilizer will reduce the clover--but for now, hit it with Trimec. Repeat as needed.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-29-2008, 05:30 PM
thanks guys....

Ill see what they put down..

Hissing Cobra
07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
If you've just fertilized it with Nitrogen and it helped to "grow out" the Red Thread, that's the first step and it was smart on your part to do that application. From here, you will need to have the lawn sprayed to "clean" it up. Have your company use a product called Q4. It's relatively new but will control Crabgrass, most broadleaf weeds (including Clover and Chickweed) and will also suppress Yellow Nutsedge.

We get a lot of good feedback on this product. It's quite pricey but well worth it. Here's some information on this product and the label is also available from this link.

http://www.pbigordon.com/professional/page.php?id=505