PDA

View Full Version : edge question?

mikey
01-17-2002, 09:15 PM
hi im starting out this spring...
now aroung the edge of the lawns what do u use to get that straight line around?Is there like a machine (cordless. gas)
i am unable to use a weedwacker cuz i chop up the lawn and also
i can hold it steady enough am i using the wrong tool?Is there another maching i should be using>?

thanks

plow kid
01-17-2002, 09:22 PM
I use a "Stick Edger" that can be bought @ a local stihl dealer. try the "Search" feature of this site and type in edger, you get over 5 pages of threads

CSRA Landscaping
01-17-2002, 10:41 PM
Mikey, you may want to consider the Stihl FS85T split boom ... all the attachments I think, would be appropriate.

JimLewis
01-18-2002, 01:28 AM
Well, I will tell you what to do but you're not gonna like it;

Keep working on edging with the weed eater. It takes about 2-4 weeks of doing it daily to really get good at it. But it's really the best way.

Here's the formula we and a lot of other good companies use; for hard edges (e.g. where grass meets concrete) use a metal blade edger. It can be a stick edger (our preference) or a regular, old fashioned walk behind edger. But for soft edges (where grass meets flowerbeds) you should use a string trimmer (weedeater). That method produces the best, most crisp edge. But it takes some patience and you have to develop skill. Once you get it, you'll always have it. I could just about edge a lawn with a string trimmer at running speed and do it perfectly.

Don't worry, it's something a lot of us struggle with at first. There's always a learning curve with every one of my new employees. But they all catch on after a few weeks. The trick is to go very slow until you get that steady hand. Then build up speed as you get better.

I am sure there are lots of other ways to do it. A stick edger on hard edges works ok too. But this is the best method, IMO.