PDA

View Full Version : Pricing of applications.

ScagGrassGuy1978
07-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Im sure this topic has been beat to hell. I am pretty much the only licensed business in my town for pesticide applications (ornamental & turf) I have no one to compare prices in my town its either TGCL, or Natural Lawn.
How do you guys price your applications. Naturally its based on square footage, price of fertilizer/chemicals. etc. This past week I did my grub/top surface insect application. Allectus .225 put down at close to 5lbs per 1,000. 18-0-8. 40% ppscu. I paid $41 a bag.
I have a new customer with a 50,000 sq ft lawn. I used 5 bags. Thats $205 in my cost, what would you charge on top of that?( Im thinking their cost $320-350)
Their has to be a formula or some idea you guys use thats competitive/ covers hidden background costs of being licensed( ie records, licensing, credit for license renewal)
For an application of red zone put down at 1.5 oz per/1000(permagreen) I get 6-8 Dollars per/1000.
Give me your ideas.
Its frustrating not having a company to compare to.
My finance's parents have a 25,000 sq ft lawn for 6 applications and a aeration its like 600 bucks, WTF how can you make money on that, 100 bucks an app is BS
Thanks for your help
Bill
I

LushGreenLawn
07-27-2008, 12:03 PM
That $100 per app on 25K probrably dosen't include allectus! Thats a expensive product. If their doing insect control at all their probrably using something cheaper, and something that dosen't control grubs.

BTW, my price for aeration on that lawn would be close to $300, so their still paying to little for the apps. Who do they use?

LushGreenLawn
07-27-2008, 12:05 PM
BTW, to answer your question, I'm around $4.50 per 1000 sq. ft., but that is an application of Fert and Weed Control, with insect control, disease control, ect. costing extra. An application of insecticide that includes grubs is 3x my base price.

FERT-TEK
07-27-2008, 12:26 PM
BTW, to answer your question, I'm around $4.50 per 1000 sq. ft., but that is an application of Fert and Weed Control, with insect control, disease control, ect. costing extra. An application of insecticide that includes grubs is 3x my base price.

My customer price for a five step program is 4.50 per 1000 sf. with unlimited weed control as well.

Dont estimate on the low end, especially in this undtable economy. If you bid a job with minimal profit by the end of the season you will be working for free or at a loss due to the cost of fertilizer going up.

LushGreenLawn
07-27-2008, 12:31 PM
My customer price for a five step program is 4.50 per 1000 sf. with unlimited weed control as well.

Dont estimate on the low end, especially in this undtable economy. If you bid a job with minimal profit by the end of the season you will be working for free or at a loss due to the cost of fertilizer going up.

Yeah, as far as fert going up, my prices will be going up soon. You might want to price a little higher now, so that your not raising prices so soon after gaining new clients.

RigglePLC
07-27-2008, 02:07 PM
I did some calculations. TGCL official price is $6.00 per thousand feet plus $22 stop charge. Of course they often discount and undermeasure. I don't know about grubs at TGCL, but one customer who had about 7000 sq ft was charged $80, for grub control last year.

And my trash hauling company just added about 2 dollars per trip as a diesel fuel cost surcharge.

ScagGrassGuy1978
07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
My fiance's parents have TGCL. They pay 600 FOR THE YEAR with an aeration included. WTF as LushGL said Id charge 300 to aerate alone.
So 4 bucks per/1000 equals on the 50K lawn 200.00 if I add in my chemical "Allectus" Do I add in my cost on fertilizer $205? Or do I figure on a percentage of cost per bag.
I mean lets look at this realistically. 205 my cost, 20 minutes of my time, I really think I deserve at least a solid 100-150 on top of the 205.
How do you guys figure in the extra cost for combination/granular/liquid applications?
Thanks for what you have said so far guys.
I priced out an aerating and overseeding on a customers lawn. 25,000 sq ft. My price on the low end came to $1,000 out the door. TGCL did it for $400, And they had to sign into a 1 yr contract for app's the next year. This lawn looks identical now as it did before TGCL came in. People always seem to look at price WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY before quality.
Bill

LushGreenLawn
07-27-2008, 07:13 PM
TGCL Quoted me $80 for my 20K lawn. Thats $4 per thousand. I have matched their price on some lawns around here to take accounts from them, and I'm making money on them, but they will be getting higher increases when my prices go up.

Also, around here, TGCL sucks. The lawns look so much nicer after I take over, and I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. I'm using correct ferts at correct times. I am using super trimec which is expensive compared to three-way, but it saves me money in that I don't get any callbacks.
The customers that have had TG always compliment me a few months later, they think I am some kind of lawn genius.

moores
07-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I have to agree with you TGCL sucks around here aswell they do one of my lawns that is about 38,000 sqft and it looks awful and the only reason that they are still doing it is that they had a year contract with them when I got them as an account all over the radio you here there commercial about there new weed program and this lawn now has so many weeds I am almost imbarrased to even cut it... Last month she had the tech come out because she was mad that it was browning out really bad and the dumbass told her it was because I bag the grass every week and don't mulch it in a few times a month so he told her to tell me to mulch the grass for the rest of the month so I did as she requested and just as I thought the weeds started spreading week by week and now the lawn looks like crap and I feel bad for my customer

ScagGrassGuy1978
07-27-2008, 08:46 PM
LushGL, what does super trimec cost compared to red zone, or even Momentum FX?
I like Red Zone more than most other PE chemicals.
Quick results, not overly pricey, Caution as a signal word, rainfast in 3 hrs.
My lawns look 50 times better than TGCL, its just getting the customers to spend what I quote them at.
On a side note really quick people, Natural Lawn makes TGCL look like 80 yr veterans of lawn care, Crab Grass CG' Broad Leaf Weeds BLW' The worst lawns I mow are "NL" I mean between CG, and BLW they are junk, and they charge what I could only dream of.
So saying 305-355 for that Allectus application would be in line, or should I charge close to $400?
Thanks Guys
Bill

LushGreenLawn
07-27-2008, 10:14 PM
I pay about 51 cents per 1000 sq. ft. I was comparing the price to plain old three way, which alot of people seem to use around here.

It may even be a little cheaper than red-zone, but I think its more than momentum fx. The result is great, kills clover in a few days, and takes out wild violet with no problems or repeat applications.

Runner
07-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I did some calculations. TGCL official price is $6.00 per thousand feet plus $22 stop charge. Of course they often discount and undermeasure. I don't know about grubs at TGCL, but one customer who had about 7000 sq ft was charged $80, for grub control last year.

Is this their regular fert price? Around here, if their stop fee is $22, then their price per M would be around $2.55 or so. This is based on the 1/2 acre lots around here that have around 17M (of actual turf) that go for around $65. I DO think they are making calls and sending letters to raise their prices a few bucks right now, though. I heard this last night from a guy who said he had a friend that just received a price hike. I would like to PM you, as I would love to compare some of our prices for our different areas if that is ok.:weightlifter:

whoopassonthebluegrass
07-28-2008, 12:51 AM
My rate, for now, is $49 for the first 5,000 and $6/M in addition. 6 treatment package, all or nothing. No price break for size, either...

I don't care too much how cheap my competitors are, b/c my package vs. theirs is apples to oranges. And if you're the kind of potential-customer who's price oriented, then I FLAT-OUT don't want you as a customer...

If your package is the same as your competitors, then you've screwed yourself into only having the PRICE be your distinguishing characteristic. Separate yourself and your package from the herd - and then hone your sales pitch to educate potential customers as to WHY they would be better off with you.

Real Green
07-28-2008, 01:42 AM
TGCL Quoted me $80 for my 20K lawn. Thats $4 per thousand. I have matched their price on some lawns around here to take accounts from them, and I'm making money on them, but they will be getting higher increases when my prices go up.

Also, around here, TGCL sucks. The lawns look so much nicer after I take over, and I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. I'm using correct ferts at correct times. I am using super trimec which is expensive compared to three-way, but it saves me money in that I don't get any callbacks.
The customers that have had TG always compliment me a few months later, they think I am some kind of lawn genius.

Lush, TGCL is our greatest advertisment here... aren't they!? :laugh:

LushGreenLawn
07-28-2008, 07:12 AM
RealGreen,

That is correct! I get so many complants about them, its unreal.

I'm no expert on liquid ferts, but I had a truegreen tech come up to me the other day to chat, and he said he was applying 2-0-0. I'm not an expert on liquid ferts, but this sounds like a pretty small amount of nitrogen to me...

I also watched them spread a 50 lb bag of lime over a property, the only thing is, when they were done spreading, they still had about 50lbs in the hopper of their push spreader:hammerhead:

What a great way to turn a profit!