PDA

View Full Version : Major Overhaul

hoskm01
07-27-2008, 01:44 PM
551 4" Rotors, mostly I20's and TurfBirds, replaced with MP's on 6" MPR heads @ 40 PSI. Should do the trick. Concerned about a few spots spaced poorly at 32-35', but 95% will be golden. Where is the MP4k?

Watering window was at 21 hours, could only do one zone at a time on this tap. Now can do two without issue, three is pushing it and compromises coverage. 10.5 hours is acceptable.

Great project. 7 guys, including myself, 2 full days, done and done. 32.4 heads per hour with lowering on 80%. I was pleased. We estimated 4 days.

Maintenance company was running 3 starts, 6 days per week at 7 minutes each, 2 zones at a time. Mayhaps thats why it looks like a Krispy Kream frying bin; little donuts floating around everywhere. Needless to say, this is my newest account.

Next.

Mike Leary
07-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Might have to turn the mow boys on to moisture meters!

Wet_Boots
07-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Was there no opportunity to re-nozzle existing heads? (T-Birds excluded)

Kiril
07-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Might have to turn the mow boys on to moisture meters!

That would be like giving a flaming torch to a small child. :laugh:

EagleLandscape
07-27-2008, 04:07 PM
the quality of that turf is unreal. are the maint guys still there? they should have been given the boot a long time ago.

we catch flack if there is one head without coverage.

got a property (medium sized) with 70 zones on 2" mainline, we get emails from residents if there is one blade of brown grass. that site is the worse than i could ever imagine.

Wet_Boots
07-27-2008, 04:10 PM
New heads swing-jointed?

Mike Leary
07-27-2008, 05:12 PM
the quality of that turf is unreal. are the maint guys still there?

No one quite gets the draw backs to MPs, here's the result of a 1 hr. run.

hoskm01
07-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Was there no opportunity to re-nozzle existing heads? (T-Birds excluded)

Major catalyst was a contribution from the municipality to install regulated heads with rotators. No other options unless the bill was footed entirely by the HOA. Still no one uses recalimed water up here, what a waste.

the quality of that turf is unreal. are the maint guys still there? they should have been given the boot a long time ago.

Funny you should mention. Our maint bid goes in this week, the others are on their way out the door ASAP. Their mowing and edging was pretty decent, but they killed it with lack of irrigation knowledge or effort.

New heads swing-jointed?

All but about 20 were on funny pipe. Special ordered a 3/4x1/2 female to male fitting for the 1/2 inlet on the MPR's. Dig donut, unscrew and rescrew if no need to lower (some were way to low as they were) Scoop or two out from underneath the fitting otherwise and that made up our 2" addition.

I started with 45 min at two start times, 4 days per week, to catch it up. then down to 3 days...

Mike Leary
07-27-2008, 06:23 PM
I started with 45 min at two start times, 4 days per week, to catch it up. then down to 3 days...

Once you get the contract, cram water to that site to break the soil tension.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-27-2008, 06:59 PM

I get it....trust me....2 hours three times a week at least.

Dirty Water
07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
You adjust the new heads from hitting the fence? Looks like the damage is already done there :)

Kiril
07-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Fix your soil!!! Compost does a soil good.

Mike Leary
07-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I get it....trust me....2 hours three times a week at least.

I've gone ever day until the moisture level balances out.

Waterit
07-27-2008, 09:39 PM
You adjust the new heads from hitting the fence? Looks like the damage is already done there :)

Note what it says under my "signature", inspired by the constant battle over overspray/underspray.

hoskm01
07-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Our last day was swimsuit and flip-flop day. 350 heads on fenceline later, two of us were soaked to the bone. Another good reason to either not have grass right up against wood, or not have wooden fences.