PDA

View Full Version : Money Makers

quadracer_13
07-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Other than basic lawn care, What are some of the other big money making services you guys provide?

Daily Lawn/Landscape
07-27-2008, 05:17 PM
First off using paid for equipment and running it as long as you can,but really Landscape maint., mulching, shrub trimming, irrigation repair, landscape install
Basic lawn care gets you in the front door.

quadracer_13
07-27-2008, 05:33 PM
First off using paid for equipment and running it as long as you can,but really Landscape maint., mulching, shrub trimming, irrigation repair, landscape install
Basic lawn care gets you in the front door.

I noticed your from Evansville which isnt too far from here. A couple guys I know in the biz plow during the winter and I was thinkin bout gettin into that but not really sure where to start. for example what do you plow? driveways? business lots?

DaughtryLC
07-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Fall Herbicides!!!

Daily Lawn/Landscape
07-27-2008, 06:03 PM
I noticed your from Evansville which isnt too far from here. A couple guys I know in the biz plow during the winter and I was thinkin bout gettin into that but not really sure where to start. for example what do you plow? driveways? business lots?
I only plow commercial & apply deicing materials. Around this part of the state we do more deicing than plowing most seasons.

Dunlaps LawnCare
07-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Landscape maint., mulching, shrub trimming, landscape install,sealcoating

theWRIGHTcut
07-27-2008, 06:11 PM
WOODCHIPPING is nice where i'm at... i can easily charge $85 an hour for that service... usually only takes 4 hours on a rental and they pay that cost too...

other than that, small walkways are nice to do... easy work that doesn't require too much man power and the money is all behind it... same with small to moderate sized retaining walls...

as far as herbicides go... well i need to get certified for that one!

quadracer_13
07-27-2008, 06:13 PM
how do you get commercial customers for plowing? i mean it doesnt always snow so you cant just say hey can i plow your lot?

Daily Lawn/Landscape
07-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I just went to an area with alot of commercial development and ask if they wanted a free estimate for snow removal. Started out with about 12 properties my first year. You need to set them up on a service agreement where you show up automaticly under certain conditions. Small Doctors offices are good because with just a dusting of snow (which is typical around here) I still get to throw ice melting material.

mowerbrad
07-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Plowing is very big here in Michigan. It is pretty good money if there are enough snowfalls but its very early mornings and very long nights. Fertilizing is also getting big too, many companies here will offer fert. on top of the normal mowing. Also irrigation. Customers actually perfer a "one stop shop". If they can go to one company for all their lawn needs they feel much better, especially when they do a good job.

quadracer_13
07-27-2008, 08:22 PM
I just went to an area with alot of commercial development and ask if they wanted a free estimate for snow removal. Started out with about 12 properties my first year. You need to set them up on a service agreement where you show up automaticly under certain conditions. Small Doctors offices are good because with just a dusting of snow (which is typical around here) I still get to throw ice melting material.

alright that sounds fairly simple. this is off topic but what licenses do you have? since your from IN i was kinda lookin to get a headsup on what i will need. im gonna be doing basic lawn care along with some small landscaping and plowing.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
07-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Only License needed is to apply weed control.
Other than that IN. and Fed. Tax ID

quadracer_13
07-27-2008, 11:39 PM
is there a fee to get your tax id number?

wheelsup
07-28-2008, 12:25 PM
No, there is no fee. You do it over the phone or online these days.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

You can take that to the local county and apply for a business license. Those are pretty low cost. Easiest and least costly way for you to go is to file as a sole proprietorship.

http://www.in.gov/sos/business/corps/guide.html

Then take both to a bank and open up a business checking account. Order checks. Get a number on Grand Central to forward to your current phone number. Presto, you're in business.

jmgarrett48
08-19-2008, 12:10 AM
is this james daily