PDA

View Full Version : got my first account yesterday

josh1981
07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
hey everyone. Got my first account yesterday. This lady that I know from work (she is a volunteer, im valet- local hospital). Big yard. Anyway I did some edging (long driveway, long sidewalk, trimmed around her garage, around her house, down at lake). And blew off her driveway. Used my stihl fs45, br600, sh85. only took a few hrs. Would of used my edger but its broke.

2 hours, 25 bucks. not bad.

I also told her if any trees fell that id cut them up for her (massive pines, too scared to cut them down myself, if they fall from grace of god then i will cut them up for her).

She was super happy with my work.

She said she might call me again for this. I told her anytime she needs something done call me.

But yea 25 bucks isnt bad.

whats a good price to charge for tree cut up?

DaughtryLC
07-27-2008, 04:50 PM
2hr? 25? I dont know man, Mybe 25 an hr! But, hey your the one that knows your over head! good luck! and be careful with those estimates

ALC-GregH
07-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Did you mow too? If it's just branches laying in the grass, I usually pick all that up before mowing. Are you talking about cutting up branches that fall that are large enough for firewood?

punt66
07-27-2008, 04:57 PM
hey everyone. Got my first account yesterday. This lady that I know from work (she is a volunteer, im valet- local hospital). Big yard. Anyway I did some edging (long driveway, long sidewalk, trimmed around her garage, around her house, down at lake). And blew off her driveway. Used my stihl fs45, br600, sh85. only took a few hrs. Would of used my edger but its broke.

I also told her if any trees fell that id cut them up for her (massive pines, too scared to cut them down myself, if they fall from grace of god then i will cut them up for her).

She said she might call me again for this. I told her anytime she needs something done call me.

2 hours of work from me would equal $120.00

I know your new so make sure you understand your expenses. You are not an hourly employee. You have fuel to drive there, fuel in your equipment, your equipment, your wages, your income tax, your company profits, your insurance, your license, etc, etc, etc. You need to shoot for $60 per hour. Some here do as low as $40 based on what their market will bear, however $60 is the number to shoot for. You didnt make any money at all at $12.50 per hour. It all went to expenses.

theWRIGHTcut
07-27-2008, 05:05 PM
yeah i charge 35 an hour to clean up... various things like you mentioned... so you could be losing right now if you aren't truly as happy with the outcome as your post seems to indicate... but anyhow congradulations... now fianance on a mower and get 15 more little old ladies!!

theWRIGHTcut
07-27-2008, 05:07 PM
you get 60 an hour for that punt? yeah i've upped the charge for most of my accounts due to uprising gas cost... so this year for fall clean up i'll try to charge that too...

josh1981
07-27-2008, 05:08 PM
lol my bad. I just do this a little on side. I work full time 8 to 5 valet service.

so 25 too low? if I was tree cutting 25 hr?

punt66
07-27-2008, 05:13 PM
lol my bad. I just do this a little on side. I work full time 8 to 5 valet service.

never tell the customer you charge by the hour. Just give them a price for the job. So if you think it will take you 3 hours to cut up a tree and remove all the mess you charge like this.

3 hours x $60 = $180
Dumping fees/haul/fuel/time to dump= $100
Time to resharpen chain $30

so total job $310

But dont tell them the per hour charge. This is just an example.

punt66
07-27-2008, 05:18 PM

never tell the customer you charge by the hour. Just give them a price for the job. So if you think it will take you 3 hours to cut up a tree and remove all the mess you charge like this.

3 hours x $60 = $180
Dumping fees/haul/fuel/time to dump= $100
Time to resharpen chain $30

so total job $310

But dont tell them the per hour charge. This is just an example.

Since your new and dont know the most effecient ways to do these jobs it might take you longer than me. So to drop your hourley rate to start with is reasonable. So maybe $40 hr

Allens LawnCare
07-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Try to shoot for $35 to $45 per hr if your solo......might sound like alot be it's the job quality people pay for

lawnwizards
07-27-2008, 09:37 PM

this cant be a serious thread. no one is that ignorant when it comes to pricing and expenses. :hammerhead:

RonB
07-27-2008, 09:49 PM
this cant be a serious thread. no one is that ignorant when it comes to pricing and expenses. :hammerhead:

Agreed - 286 post has read enough to know better.

theWRIGHTcut
07-28-2008, 12:34 PM
like he said... he's a valet, not a landscaper

Puddle of Oil
07-28-2008, 06:10 PM
dude u got robbed, 25 bucks wont even cover the cost of the gas. but congrats on ur first lawn. youve got a lot to learn though, good luck!

bone1
07-28-2008, 07:20 PM

way too low! on maintenance work i shoot for at least 50-60 an hour.

punt66
07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
you get 60 an hour for that punt? yeah i've upped the charge for most of my accounts due to uprising gas cost... so this year for fall clean up i'll try to charge that too...

yup. If your not earning more than you can as an hourly employee that can punch out and go home and no longer think about work till the next morning then i would rather do that and better enjoy my time off. I work for myself to earn triple or more that of an hourly employee otherwise its not worth the head aches.

flydelsolsi
07-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Hopefully you enjoyed yourself!

mcgruff
07-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Very well said punt....I think my 35 an hr for cleanups maybe a bit low from what I am reading. here in NW Pa, I need to do my homework on pricing.:hammerhead:

theWRIGHTcut
07-29-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm with you on that one McGruff... i've been charging a solid 35 an hour.. but most of the people above us are cleaning up for 45-55 an hour... i'll do that from now on =)

STIHL GUY
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
its a good start

josh1981
07-29-2008, 10:48 PM
thanks everyone.