PDA

View Full Version : time per lawn?

mikey
01-17-2002, 11:54 PM
hi
just starting out this spring..how long does it take to do an average lawn?

1MajorTom
01-18-2002, 12:02 AM
Too many variables with this question.

Depends upon what type of equipment is used. Someone that is using a 21 inch compared to a 48 is obviously going to be slower.

What is an average lawn? What I may consider average, someone else might consider small. Trimming can also slow you down. So a yard with lots of details is going to take longer than a one shot deal.

How proficient is the operator of the machines?

I could go on, but I bet you get the picture.

JimLewis
01-18-2002, 12:48 AM
Well the answers will vary so much depending on the area. Where I live, in the suburbs, lots are small and houses are big. So there's not much room for lawn. It's all what you guys would call "postage stamps" here. So we get in and out of most lawns in 20 minutes or less. That's a two man crew with 2 21" honda commercial mowers.

MOW ED
01-18-2002, 08:25 AM
mine take an ave of 1/2 hr.

jerry johnston
01-18-2002, 08:51 AM
I cut in SE Minnesota, and the average lawm is 75x120, It takes me 35 min to cut and trim a lawn with a 48 inch mower and trimmer. Hills, trees and bushes will add to this time.

If you hurry, you will start making mistakes and the clients will think you are cutting too fast. I get $25.00 per lawn and in this area that is what the market will bear.

lawncare
01-18-2002, 08:57 AM
Mikey, how bout you try this since u r just starting get a friend or a relative yard and cut it. Time urself on cut,edge,trim etc. If and when you find a customer,if you have caculated your price per hr. look at the yard and maybe compare it to the one you time urself on then charg'em after a few that you may not have charge enuff you'll see that and get'em next time. Its sort of trial and error situation. wish you luck and if you need any equip. look me up i have plenty of stuff from people who didn't make it last year and constantly getting it. :D

SJR Lawncare
01-18-2002, 09:36 AM
Lawncare,

How about listing some of the equipment that you have for sale that you got from people who didnt "make it".

SJR

TGCummings
01-18-2002, 09:43 AM
Well, there is no 'average' lawn, of course. What I think is huge (I just closed on a 9200 square footer! Have you ever seen anything so biiiig!!), others believe to be below their efforts. My average size lawn now is about 2900 square feet and I get them done in 30-40 minutes with edging, trimming, mowing, and cleanup. Last year my average was closer to 1800 square and had everything done in 20-30 minutes. Next year, who knows? 900 square foot average and everything done in 10 minutes or less? 6000 square foot lawns and a good hour each stop? For everyone, it's different.

Having said that, when I speculate long-term I usually use a rough estimate of 30 minutes per stop. I do this only to speculate wildly about visions of the future, knowing that there will never be a present time when that figure is accurate.

Starting out, you'll never know what your average time/stop will be. Have heart, however, for in a year or two you'll know more. ;)

carlriv
01-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Lanws for us take anywhere from 5.5 hours down to 6 minutes (which includes loading and unloading). Average 15-45 minutes