PDA

View Full Version : Looking at this F250, is it worth it?

JohnsonLawn
07-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Been looking for a truck for a while and found this one. Give me your opinions and thanks.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/inview/detail.jsp?dealer_id=54027832&dealership_view_name=autospiritcapecod&ct=u&car_id=248722379

KrayzKajun
07-27-2008, 07:21 PM
not with a gas engine. you can get a brand new F250 for damn near under $30,000 right now

mow king
07-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm actually selling the same truck but a lariat (leather, etc) for under $9k..

So I'd say it's a little high.

J&R Landscaping
07-27-2008, 08:02 PM
The way the market is, that price needs to come down a bit. You can score a gas 250 with 75000 or so for right about 10-12.

IA_James
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Are those snow plow mount points on the front of it? You can only see 'em in the 3rd pic. If so, you couldn't give it to me.

TXNSLighting
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
to high. if it was diesel yes.

bock
07-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Yea that is wayyyy too hight for a that crap gas V8. Find a 7.3 power stroke, you will not be disappointed. mine has 250K on it and she still is kickin it! I just bought a 99 f350 with a 8"6 boss straight plow and dump box for 11,500. It has the gas drinkin V10 in it, that is the only down fall.

1. Dont buy that truck
2. Price is too high
3. you wont be pushing much snow with that 5.4 Triton V8 let alone pulling a large trailer
4. Find a diesel or at your last resort a V10!

Evan528
07-27-2008, 11:58 PM
I agree..... I used to own a f-250 with the 5.4 v8. Not enough power for such a big truck. Had trouble towing heaving loads up hills with it. I wound up trading it for a diesel.

topsites
07-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Most anything listed in that Auto Trader is always high,
the whole bunch of vehicles listed in there is,
always has been, likely always will be.

JohnsonLawn
07-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks guys, I was thinking the same and would rather go diesel. I will keep looking.

IA_James
07-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Stay away from the 6.0 if at all possible. The 7.3 is a good engine though.

SHADESOFGREENLAWNCARE
07-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Price way too high. I would also be concerned about the 17 carfax records.:walking:

Greybeard
07-29-2008, 12:16 AM
My F350 with 5.4 has towed some big trailers down the highway (like MA to FL) at 70 MPH no problem. It also pushes a big load of wet snow with an 8' Fisher plow as well as any diesel. Probably because it's set up with a stick shift and 4.10 gears. And it gets decent mileage for a big truck, too. There are guys on here moaning and groaning about 6-8 MPG towing with a half-ton. Mine's never gone lower than 10, and it's usually 12-15.
If you're interested, it's for sale here in Western MA. Nothing wrong with it - it's just I tore up my right shoulder, and if I have to have it repaired I'll need to drive an automatic.
Diesel has its advantages, but your total fuel cost per mile is going to be way higher, even if it gets better MPG, and the repairs are really expensive. The Ford diesels are famous for rusting out the oil pans, and you have to pull the engine to fix it. You can figure on replacing things like glow plugs and injectors, and stuff like batteries and starters are going to wear out, too.
As far as length of service, I've seen trucks on eBay with the original 5.4 V8s with over 200K miles, still running good. Maintenance, maintenance.

TXNSLighting
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Stay away from the 6.0 if at all possible. The 7.3 is a good engine though.

See and im a fan of the 6.0. You just gotta look at their potential.

IA_James
07-29-2008, 12:17 PM
See and im a fan of the 6.0. You just gotta look at their potential.

They could have all the potential in the world, but I can't see it through the $1 BILLION in warranty claims Ford has had with them. Besides, if it's potential you're after buy a Cummins.

Stillwater
07-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I am somewhat near you their are better deals offer them 9000

TXNSLighting
07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
They could have all the potential in the world, but I can't see it through the $1 BILLION in warranty claims Ford has had with them. Besides, if it's potential you're after buy a Cummins.

their actually a pretty simple fix. new head bolts and gaskets. and remove the egr! New turbo if you want, and thats that! possibly injectors. Their really not bad engines, in the big internationals their solid engines. VGT366 i believe...

IA_James
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
their actually a pretty simple fix. new head bolts and gaskets. and remove the egr! New turbo if you want, and thats that! possibly injectors. Their really not bad engines, in the big internationals their solid engines. VGT366 i believe...

That's a couple grand worth of work right there. Cab has to come off to pull the heads, turbo is about $1k, common rail injectors are spendy too. For what they get out of those trucks, I better not be doing anything but adding diesel fuel. Ford's repeated evasion of rightful warranty claims doesn't really endear them to me either. As far as them being good in the big Internationals, the way I understand it is that the turbo and engine control were Ford's baby, and they are what screwed up a pretty good motor.

mow king
07-29-2008, 03:11 PM
My F350 with 5.4 has towed some big trailers down the highway (like MA to FL) at 70 MPH no problem. It also pushes a big load of wet snow with an 8' Fisher plow as well as any diesel. Probably because it's set up with a stick shift and 4.10 gears. And it gets decent mileage for a big truck, too. There are guys on here moaning and groaning about 6-8 MPG towing with a half-ton. Mine's never gone lower than 10, and it's usually 12-15.
If you're interested, it's for sale here in Western MA. Nothing wrong with it - it's just I tore up my right shoulder, and if I have to have it repaired I'll need to drive an automatic.
Diesel has its advantages, but your total fuel cost per mile is going to be way higher, even if it gets better MPG, and the repairs are really expensive. The Ford diesels are famous for rusting out the oil pans, and you have to pull the engine to fix it. You can figure on replacing things like glow plugs and injectors, and stuff like batteries and starters are going to wear out, too.
As far as length of service, I've seen trucks on eBay with the original 5.4 V8s with over 200K miles, still running good. Maintenance, maintenance.

The oil pans rust out on diesels no more so then the gas motors. The cost per mile for fuel even with diesel about .80 cents more per gallon is quite a bit less.

I find it hard to believe you've never gone below 10mpg, I had the same truck and saw about 14 at best empty. You put a skidsteer behind it and you were looking at 6-8mpg. With my 6.0 diesel, I get 12mpg with a skidsteer behind it.