PDA

View Full Version : Anybody build fences??

KrayzKajun
07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Ive had about 5 customers and 3 potential customers ask me to build them fences around there property.
I put up about 100 new fences after hurricane Katrina hit where i live 3 years ago.

NOt very hard and can make great money doin it.
I have about 4 fence jobs lined up for the Fall/winter

Daily Lawn/Landscape
07-27-2008, 09:44 PM
Yes , have done a couple myself. And very profitable. Accutually considered starting a fence installation crew. One of my customers sells and subs out fencing and I know i could get the work from him.

CALandscapes
07-28-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't personally, but know a lot of Lco's who do. It's just another service related to landscaping to offer. Go for it!

LindblomRJ
07-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Ive had about 5 customers and 3 potential customers ask me to build them fences around there property.
I put up about 100 new fences after hurricane Katrina hit where i live 3 years ago.

NOt very hard and can make great money doin it.
I have about 4 fence jobs lined up for the Fall/winter

Once you are set up and going fences can be a lot of fun. I have one small project I am needing to get done.

JimLewis
07-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Yah, we do them. But not very often. I find the companies in my area who specialize in fencing can do them for about 70% of what we would charge.

I typically only end up getting fence jobs when they are tied into a much larger landscaping project and the homeowner doesn't want to mess around with multiple contractors.

For instance, if someone has a job where they need irrigation, hardscape, new lawn, planting, drainage, and fencing - we'll go ahead and take on the fence work just to land the whole job.

But if someone calls or asks me if we do fences - they are JUST looking for a fence only and nothing else - then I tell them that we do install them and we do put a 5-year warranty on them, but that we are not nearly as affordable as the companies around here who specialize in fencing. That usually scares them away. And if not, I've just pre-qualified them as someone who can afford our rates.

CALandscapes
07-28-2008, 11:19 AM
But if someone calls or asks me if we do fences - they are JUST looking for a fence only and nothing else - then I tell them that we do install them and we do put a 5-year warranty on them, but that we are not nearly as affordable as the companies around here who specialize in fencing. That usually scares them away. And if not, I've just pre-qualified them as someone who can afford our rates.

I like your style...

Lawn-Sharks
07-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I have repaired a few fences but no calls for complete installs yet.

SOS Landscaping
07-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I did 2 fence installs this year, but like said before they were because we were already on the job and we could do it in a hurry. I know this time of year a lot of fence companies are 3-4weeks out before they actually get the job going. Being that I dont specialize in fences I can get them in faster and I can also offer the cheaper home depot and lowes fences if need be.
But also as said before its hard competing with the fence only guys as they get huge volume discounts and other things. I can usually match the big guys but I know my profit is no where near what theres is. I got a call the other day about an install of 360' of black 1 1/4" 4' tall fence 2 self locking gates and 72' of 6' aluminum fencing with a 4' gate he showed me 3 other invoices 2 of them i was totally on target with but a family friend of his could do it for 5k installed.... no way I could compete with that price which was 1000-1500 less then everyone else

Oasis-Outdoor
07-28-2008, 11:47 PM
I also do fences. They are easy to link onto other work, especially on new construction. One bit of advice to folks starting out in fencing: Do yourself a favor and properly mix the concrete before pouring it in the hole. A lot of people like to "save time" and dump the dry mix in the hole & then just flood it with water. I have pulled up posts due to storm and vehicle damage. The ones that had the concrete mixed appropriately were a much better footing. As previously stated, fences are one more thing to add to the menu while you are already working on someones property.