PDA

View Full Version : treating ryegrass rust

treeman574
07-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Guys this is a new one to me. Im in southern NY ( orange cty). Any ideas on treatment. all help would be greatly appreciated

indyturf
07-27-2008, 10:53 PM
its low on nitrogen! a good fertilizer would do the trick!

RigglePLC
07-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Simplest thing to do is plenty of nitrogen, and plenty of water. Be ready to mow twice per week, of course. Rust is most severe on ryegrass. Slow growth of the grass makes it worse. The best ryegrasses have resistance to the fungus; it is most common on newly seeded grass; it usually shows up in late summer or fall. Rust disappears about the time of frost.

treeman574
07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
lawn was put in late last year and it just started to show up in the last few weeks. would a good starter fert work best? along with daily watering?

Cooter
07-28-2008, 05:48 AM
I have a lawn that has recently developed a pretty bad rust problem. I am going to do the fertilizer route. This is a newly seeded lawn this May. This is a lawn that the owner had his "dentist" friend spray for weeds last fall. The dentist used product out of a non labeled container and killed the entire 3.5 acres. I told him after it was seeded we would apply fert at correct intervals. His reply, I don't want it to be too thick or grow too fast, jacka$$ you are not mowing it anyway. Now we have these problems. Some peoples children.

FdLLawnMan
07-28-2008, 07:28 AM
lawn was put in late last year and it just started to show up in the last few weeks. would a good starter fert work best? along with daily watering?

One lb of nitrogen with between 30 and 50% being nitrogen being the best. Water early in the morning every other or every third day would be reasonable, depending on how much water you can get down. If he wanted a low maintenance lawn he should have put down fescues, and then reseed every 4 to 5 years.

treeman574
07-28-2008, 04:38 PM
low maintenance is not a problem with this lawn its a do whatever it takes customer. besides we do all the maintenance on it anyway.

americanlawn
07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
My opinion...kill out the ryegrass & reseed with pure Kentucky bluegrass. Otherwise, it's gunna be an annual problem. We've done this on several lawns per year, but it ain't cheap, and it will take a couple years for the lawn to look good. I spose it also depends on how long the customer plans on living there and what they are willing to spend. Some ISU folks like a ryegrass/bluegrass blends, yet the guys at Ohio State agree with me ---- they hate ryegrass cuz it has severe rust problems.

Msteele
07-30-2008, 05:49 AM
I have rye grass and bad rust in my yard at home, what would be my best option for a nitrogen source that wont hurt my dogs?