PDA

View Full Version : First Accounts?

Ben2008
07-27-2008, 10:36 PM
What did everybody start with going right after the big lots (factory)or starting small and getting the little ones first and building up that way?

lawnwizards
07-27-2008, 10:59 PM
a newspaper add and lots of flyers. you get alot of customers spread out but once they see your great work, then you get word of mouth referrals and that is the best form of advertisement.

MowHouston
07-28-2008, 01:17 AM
When I first started, it was just to make some money for us to get by. I was just brainstorming on odd jobs to do so I posted a little ad on craigslist.org that I was offering lawn service.

I had three customers lined up before I even had any equipment lol. Bought some cheapo Troybilt stuff from Lowe's (totaled to like $800) and got started. Kept at it and slowly working my way through my equipment and upgrading it all.

I still advertise on craigslist daily. Get a lot of customers from it here in this city.

mowerbrad
07-28-2008, 03:45 PM
You don't want to get in over your head. Take what you can get. I started with smaller residentials and have just been growing and accepting bigger accounts. But I don't take on jobs that may be too much for me right now. Start small and work your way to the top.

HandyHomeMedic
07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
All good replies. You'd be wise to follow their suggestions. I started a year ago with two push mowers I got off of craigslist, a 5X8 lowes trailer, my dad's old hand tools, and some cheapo crap from lowes. Wisest words given to me were "buy the most expensive tools -- that you can afford." Because when you buy crap, you're doomed to have to buy it again. They were right. Every one of the cheapo tools I bought had to be replaced. By the end of the summer, I got my first commercial mower. Today, all my tools are commercial grade, I just bought a bigger (better) trailer and am single-handedly managing over 15 accounts weekly (all residential).

You can do it! Listen to your colleagues here. They won't steer you wrong.

Regards,

Steve

bone1
07-28-2008, 08:24 PM
What did everybody start with going right after the big lots (factory)or starting small and getting the little ones first and building up that way?

good advice from everyone! but i started after all big and small. first one i got was a trailer park.

flydelsolsi
07-28-2008, 10:54 PM
If you start small its easier to build up good references and experience.

Alan Alberts
07-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Thinking about getting out of the hardscapes business and doing lawn maint.
Any comments?

STIHL GUY
07-29-2008, 11:39 PM
started by asking my neighbor if she wanter her lawn mowerd when i was 10. the kid down the street that did it moved away. The rest came to me

MowHouston
07-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Thinking about getting out of the hardscapes business and doing lawn maint.
Any comments?

1. Start your own thread about it. This thread is for answering the original poster's question. Its considered "thread hi-jacking". Not being mean, just letting you know. You'll get more answers to your questions.

2. You'll probably make better money in hardscaping :)