PDA

View Full Version : begin cuttin lawns?

mikey
01-18-2002, 12:02 AM
hi
starting out this spring..when do u begin cutting lawns?
also when do u stop? dou do a spring clean up the first week of spring?Help!!!! im a little nervous starting out..

JimLewis
01-18-2002, 12:57 AM
When to begin mowing will depend on your climate and which area of the country you live in. In Oregon and California most companies mow year-round. Albeit we only mow once a month or so in the winter.

We begin weekly mowing again in March.

As for spring clean-ups, we just do them when we get calls for them. For our full service customers, there is no need for a spring clean-up because we are constantly cleaning the place up so it never gets out of hand. For those who aren't full service or for one time customers, we just wait till they call.

'round here we do clean-ups all year. They increase in the spring and summer but clean-ups are constant work for us around here. I'd bet we make a good 15-20% of our income from just one-time clean-ups.

earthandturf
01-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Last year was my first and I began mowing in mid April. I'm in the Chicago area so that should be pretty close weather wise. Find a local Lesco dealer, they'll be glad to help you out. If you don't have one then talk to local equipment dealers and such. Also get some flyers made up and start distributing them in about a month. Be as prepared as you can, good luck!:blob3: