PDA

View Full Version : Stegmeier Forms

JohnnyRoyale
07-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Anyone ever form a cantilevered concrete pool coping w/ Stegmeier forms? What a royal pain in the a$$ they are. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm getting very frustrated.

CaliDesigns
07-30-2008, 11:43 PM
here are some pics of my experiences. Pm me with what you are having trouble with, maybe I can help.

JohnnyRoyale
07-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Problems we were having include the tile strip. It doesnt stay put. Secondly, the pool walls are tapered in the corners, and this particular pool has lots of curves. We were having a hard time fitting the forms just right. They were snapping, and resisting the curves they were crunched into. They weren't sticking well to the tiles, and we were hoping to place the forms and pour the concrete the next day, this wasnt happening as the forms kept popping off. :hammerhead::hammerhead:We opted for a powdercoated galvanized screw in place type of concete form (vastec), in lieu of the poured cantilever, and IMO, i will try to persuade the client away from poured cantilever in the future because of my experiences with it this time.

I'd imagine with some practice, these would be a great alternative, as your examples indicate, but time is of the essence on this job, and I wasn't in a position to learn and get more even more frustrated.

CaliDesigns
07-31-2008, 07:24 PM
reguarding the curves, you have to use the strapping tape. I put 3 runs per form. On outside curves you put it on the out side of the form and on inside curves, u put it on the inside of the form. I can bend a 6" radius doing this. Are you using the wire ties? if so, I put them every foot and use a saddle washer on the outside of the form so it doesn't pull through the form. I don't use the tile strips. I don't like them and order the forms without them, they're cheaper that way. Don't know why it wont stick to the tile. The tape is so sticky, that on vinyl liner pools, you have to use their no gum tape on the liner first or the tape on the forms will pull the color right off the liner.

JohnnyRoyale
08-01-2008, 06:42 AM
I don't know why they didn't stick to the tiles either-we cleaned them thoroughly too.

The alternative method has worked great-not quite as nice, but he wasnt after a high end look anyways, and in the end, he's happy-which is all that matters really.