PDA

View Full Version : Critique My Ad please

eastcobblawns
07-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Please critique my ad. I posted this on the equipment/parts site but haven't gotten many responses. I didn't include an asking price b/c it is negotiable. What price range (low - high) do you think just the business is worth and is it better to include a price in the ad? It would include the 50 accounts, rights to the business name, non-compete contract (we are moving so that really isn't a problem, but I'll definitely sign one), consulting period, etc.

For sale: approximately 50 lawn maintenance accounts. All, but a handful of customers are on 12-month contracts. Customers are in zipcodes 30062, 30067 and 30068. Over 90% of our properties are residential. Yearly gross income for 2007 was $185,000. You can also generate additional income from flowers, pinestraw and small installations. We contract out the chemical service for all of our properties, however this could be an additional income of $30,000 per year if you wanted to take over this service.

Our company has a very good reputation and we get calls every week mostly from word-of-mouth advertising.

We currently have 3 skilled employees that are willing to continue working. I will also negotiate a consulting period if the buyer is interested.

If interested, please call 678-402-7305 me with questions or offers, serious inquiries only. Interested parties must sign a confidentiality agreement before financial information will be shared.

If needed, equipment is also available.

42 inch Navigator
42 inch Walker Rider
42 inch Walker Walk
C-27 Reel
21 inch C Honda
21 inch Snapper
Red-Max Hedge trimmer
Red-Max String trimmer
Stihl String Trimmer
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
Stihl Edger
2 Stihl BR600
Red-Max 7001EBZ
42 inch tow aerator
Stihl Pole Saw
Stihl Saw
Echo commercial Saw
Lesco Spreader
Assorted Chemicals
Assorted Parts
2000 GMC Box Truck
6 x 12 Landscaping Trailer

Thanks.

Thomas

HandyHomeMedic
07-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Please critique my ad. I posted this on the equipment/parts site but haven't gotten many responses. I didn't include an asking price b/c it is negotiable. What price range (low - high) do you think just the business is worth and is it better to include a price in the ad? It would include the 50 accounts, rights to the business name, non-compete contract (we are moving so that really isn't a problem, but I'll definitely sign one), consulting period, etc.

For sale: approximately 50 lawn maintenance accounts. All, but a handful of customers are on 12-month contracts. Customers are in zipcodes 30062, 30067 and 30068. Over 90% of our properties are residential. Yearly gross income for 2007 was $185,000. You can also generate additional income from flowers, pinestraw and small installations. We contract out the chemical service for all of our properties, however this could be an additional income of $30,000 per year if you wanted to take over this service.

Our company has a very good reputation and we get calls every week mostly from word-of-mouth advertising.

We currently have 3 skilled employees that are willing to continue working. I will also negotiate a consulting period if the buyer is interested.

If interested, please call 678-402-7305 me with questions or offers, serious inquiries only. Interested parties must sign a confidentiality agreement before financial information will be shared.

If needed, equipment is also available.

42 inch Navigator
42 inch Walker Rider
42 inch Walker Walk
C-27 Reel
21 inch C Honda
21 inch Snapper
Red-Max Hedge trimmer
Red-Max String trimmer
Stihl String Trimmer
Stihl Hedge Trimmer
Stihl Edger
2 Stihl BR600
Red-Max 7001EBZ
42 inch tow aerator
Stihl Pole Saw
Stihl Saw
Echo commercial Saw
Lesco Spreader
Assorted Chemicals
Assorted Parts
2000 GMC Box Truck
6 x 12 Landscaping Trailer

Thanks.

Thomas

Thomas, what's to critique here? It's clear, articulate, not verbose and full of hype. It's matter of fact. I only wish I had the money to invest!

Well wishes in your move and whatever new ventures you pursue.

Sincerely,

Steve

eastcobblawns
07-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks Steve. I'm just wondering why I haven't had many lookers, that's all. Maybe I need to include my reason for selling? We are moving to South Georgia to be near family.

Thomas

HandyHomeMedic
07-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks Steve. I'm just wondering why I haven't had many lookers, that's all. Maybe I need to include my reason for selling? We are moving to South Georgia to be near family.

Thomas

No, I disagree. Don't over-personalize. It can communicate a sense of vulnerability and attract the sharks that will waste your time trying to whittle you down on your price. You've built the business to what it is. Let the financials, your reputation, your customer's and employees willingness to stay do all the talking.

I know sooner is better than later and you want to get out from under this thing, but don't promote suspicion or weakness. Remember, the farmer plants in spring to reap his harvest later on.

Happy Farming

STIHL GUY
07-29-2008, 10:41 PM
looks like a great ad to me so i really dont have any advice

MowHouston
07-29-2008, 10:50 PM
When placing ads, less is more.

Even when you place an ad in the newspaper, you will usually have the person in charge of doing the ad tell you not to overcrowd your ad. You may have people reading it and they're like "blah blah blah.. What is it and how much?"

My version of your ad:

Lawn Business For Sale

Approximately 50 accounts. Most on yearly contracts. Over 90% residential.

Service Area: 30062, 30067 and 30068.

We currently have 3 skilled employees that are willing to continue working. Equipment available also.

I took out stuff that people simply don't need to know until they have called you. All the extra stuff about side services, let the new prospective buyer decide about that for himself. If he's buying a lawn business, he should know that already.

Share your gross income, along with the other information once they have called. Try to get some leads on this, then drive your sale. Some people may take all of this information too "matter of factly" and avoid calling.

It might not hurt to throw a tentative price up there as well. Figure out what you want to sell for, price it a bit higher and say it is open for negotiation. If you give a firm price, people look at it and go "Well I dont wanna pay that". Give them the chance to haggle a bit, and they may call. But price it up a bit so when they do haggle, you get closer, if not above what you expected.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

MowHouston
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
On another note, why do you have 3 employees for a lawn business with 50 accounts? You should be able to do this with yourself and one employee.

Maybe take this part out too.

eastcobblawns
07-30-2008, 12:34 PM
No way to do it with myself and 1 employee, many of the properties are huge....10 acres fully landscaped, HOAs, etc. I could probably get by with 2 if I was out working full time every day, but I am lucky enough to be Mr. Mom on days we don't have a babysitter.

I don't want someone to think he can come in and handle this by himself. There is no way, and I want my customers taken care of. I've already gotten some calls from guys like that and I've tried to explain to them that it can't be a one-man or even two-man operation.

Thanks for the suggestions.

New_Business
07-30-2008, 01:13 PM
hey MouHouston, I don't know if you need to sell this business fast or anything, but I am willing to buy it for $35,000.

Dave_005
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
The AD looks Great, the only thing i'm curious about, i'm not a lawyer but i think those yearly contracts will become Void when you sell the company, those Contracts are between the customer and You, Not the New Buyer. so you may want to look into that. if i was interested in buying your company i would give you a fair price for the equipment but i would only pay for the accounts who agreed to sign New Contracts with me. Good luck selling and i hope you get the price you want

MowHouston
07-30-2008, 09:34 PM
hey MouHouston, I don't know if you need to sell this business fast or anything, but I am willing to buy it for $35,000.

lol that was just my revised version of HIS ad.

Precision Maintenance
01-15-2009, 12:35 PM
how much are you trying to sell this for?