PDA

View Full Version : Fimco's nemesis

Waterit
07-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Here's what we replaced from our recent well-drilling thread: Fimco-Meister's nemesis and nickname inspirer:

And here's why I replaced it:

Mike Leary
07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Those things kill me, I don't get it, explain, please? :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

bblawncare
07-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Why didn't you just replace the cap? Was there more damage than just that crack?

hoskm01
07-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Its not logical, why bother?

Mike Leary
07-28-2008, 08:07 PM

:::Clasps hands not having experience with those weirdos::::

Waterit
07-28-2008, 09:06 PM

Barb B (bblawncare) this link awhile back: http://www.fimcomfg.com/

Why didn't you just replace the cap? Was there more damage than just that crack?

Have no idea if there was more damage, we lit up system and water sprayed everywhere out of crack. IMHO, K-Rain better product than Fimco, there is a better margin for replacing the entire indexer than just the part, plus I have no idea where to find Fimco parts.

What isn't logical, use of indexer or way it operates?

hoskm01
07-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Barb B (bblawncare) this link awhile back: http://www.fimcomfg.com/

Have no idea if there was more damage, we lit up system and water sprayed everywhere out of crack. IMHO, K-Rain better product than Fimco, there is a better margin for replacing the entire indexer than just the part, plus I have no idea where to find Fimco parts.

What isn't logical, use of indexer or way it operates?
Use of. Operation makes sense. Kinda cool concept actually.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-28-2008, 10:59 PM
can someone explain how those work plz..

WalkGood
07-28-2008, 11:13 PM
can someone explain how those work plz..

Think of it like a six-shooter, pull the trigger (fire the "solenoid") and the barrel turns firing a bullet (a zone). Pull trigger again, barrel turns and the next bullet/zone fires.

One water inlet, but 6 or so water outlets to the zones.

geardriven
07-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Water flows in the inlet pushing the stem and disk down. The disk closes off all zones allowing water to flow into one zone. As the city water valve closes or pump shuts off, the spring loaded stem pushes the disk back up. As it moves up, the cam (under that cracked cap) turns the stem and disk to the next zone.
You can easily change cams to add a zone and glue another leg into the corresponding outlet.
The downfalls: a little less precise control of time. There has to be ample time for the stem and disk to push the water out in order to change zones. Most allow 5-15 mins to avoid running the same zone over and over. The other thing is that in order to test a specific zone, you have to run through all the zones before getting to the one you want.
The indexing valve has ALWAYS cost less to install...especially back when it was created and electric valves were an arm and a leg. Now with the price of copper constantly climbing....contractors have been using them more and more. A lot of wastewater contractors use them in their system b/c the valve doesn't care about effluent/dirty water.
Very simple to troubleshoot if issues arise.
Elevation is tricky with an indexer. If water is backing into the index valve, it won't allow the stem and disk to do its thing. Most use CV's to fix this. I've never heard of anyone winterizing a indexing system though.
I believe the owner of Fimco once worked with or for the Kah's back in the beginning.

hoskm01
07-28-2008, 11:39 PM
wow, my watch likes the boiled down version.

Waterit
07-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Fimco's owner was Kah's partner back when, from what I've been told.

Run times are limited to 15 or 7-1/2 minute increments depending on which pins you use in K-Rain's controller.

PITA to check a system, having to "go around" to get back to last zone run.

Elevation can be handled with check valves on legs.

Also accepted as air-gap backflow preventer (I can hear Kiril now...).

Kiril
07-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Also accepted as air-gap backflow preventer (I can hear Kiril now...).

Air gap backflow prevention is the best you can get as it will never fail.

bblawncare
07-29-2008, 06:06 AM
I realize about the margins and we are in business to make money, but the cap is a $4 part available at Home Depot and all irrigation shops that carry FIMCO (at least here in WPB anyway). Takes about 2 minutes to fix (and that includes dropping the screw driver a time or 2). I'm willing to bet that the cracked top was the only damage as even smaller cracks will send water spraying like crazy out of the top...

Fimco also makes a zone indicator cap that allows you to manually change the zones at the cap rather than having to cycle through each zone at the clock. You turn the cap to the zone # you want to check and then turn on the clock. I believe it is only $8.50 and I plan on installing these on all the fimco's I maintain-will save a lot of time. And make it easier to get the clock "aligned" to the zones if they have rotor zones and mist zones-don't want to have the mists running for an hour and the rotors for 24 or 30 minutes.