PDA

View Full Version : Annabelle Hydrangea Help!

Blmtlandscapes
07-28-2008, 09:34 PM
hello.... I have a customer that has a lot of annabelle hydrangeas that are leaning over into the grass area. She has asked me to fix the problem and Im not sure what to do. Should I really stake each seperate flower or is there any simpler way to solve the problem..thanx

Grass Happens
07-28-2008, 10:07 PM
why are they falling over? too heavy/big? maybe some selective pruning will alleviate the issue for the rest of the plant?

JimmyStew
07-28-2008, 10:18 PM
How about two stakes on either side of the plant with some twine between them to hold up the mass.

PSUturf
07-28-2008, 10:58 PM
If they are wilting they will fall over. Probe the soil to check for moisture.

Blmtlandscapes
07-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Im pretty sure they are falling over because the flower head is so big and heavy and the stem supporting it is thin and long, perhaps I should prune them all back cutting a decent amount?

Grass Happens
07-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Do you have pics?

AGLA
07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
If the whole stem is leaning from fairly low in the plant, you can tie fishing line around the mass of stems so that they don't lean as low. You don't even need stakes and the line is pretty much invisible. Just go around the leaning stems, then tighten up enough to make them look as natual as you can, and tie it off.

Dreams To Designs
07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
AGLA idea usually works well, I typically substitute jute for the fishing line as it won't tend to dig or cut into the stems. You can also deadhead the plants as individual flowers start to fade, alleviating some of the weight. Sounds like the beds should be bigger to allow the hydrangea to grow naturally and spread or droop as they should.

Hydrangea is an excellent drought indicator and the leaves will wilt o curl very quickly if the plants get dry. Typically they will come back as strong or better with the right amount of moisture, but may not stand upright due to the weight of the flowers clusters.

Kirk