PDA

View Full Version : stone veneer wall question

shethinksmytractors_sexy
07-28-2008, 10:16 PM
well heres the deal, the customer wants a 12ft long wall by 3ft high. there will be two columns on both of the ends and we are putting 4x4 post through the middle of columns anchored into the ground because he is building a deck above. there will be a 12x10 paver patio at the foot of the wall also. i have NEVER done stone veneer before on a wall but i have done a couple fireplaces. this guy knows this but im goin to give it a shot because its a small job and i would like to do this in the future. my question is what should i do for backfill and drainage since im just using the regular masonry block to build the wall. i would assume its the same as any other segmented block wall. gravel and drain but just want to ask from someone who has experience. any advice will help. thanks!!!

AJ Lawnscapes
07-28-2008, 10:41 PM
I would do 4x6 or 6x6 for the posts, in case they ever want to put a hot tub on that deck.

MarcusLndscp
07-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Stone,fabric, pipe .......same deal as usual. My one concern in what you wrote is that you're putting a post through the column??? My recomendation would be to put your post on top of the column to avoid rot of your post long term and water entering the cavity of the column. You're just asking for a world of problems by encasing wood with masonry outdoors. Even when you're doing interior masonry over wood there are certain measures you need to take to avoid problems.

Oasis-Outdoor
07-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Sexytractor....let me know how your install goes. I would be interested in knowing what brand of cultured stone you end up using. I am planning a job in my own yard that uses cultured stone. I am planning on using the Owens-Corning cultured stone, but would like to hear others experiences. Oh...and from what I've read on concrete masonry unit walls, the drainage is the same as segmented blocks. You will need a concrete footing though. Good luck with your project!

PlatinumLandCon
07-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Posts on top, not through. As stated, you'll hit rot problems in a few years. Cedar deck? Why not make it a nice thck 6x6 to really set it off. I think cedar + stone is such a killer classic combo.

shethinksmytractors_sexy
07-29-2008, 10:02 AM
how should i mount the post on top of the column? im guessing anchor it to the capstone that will set on top or what?

DVS Hardscaper
07-29-2008, 05:11 PM
In this pic, we built a pergola on a block wall, veneered with Eldorado stone.

The Pergola has 4x4 posts, and the posts are mounted on the wall, not through the wall.

The pergola kit came with steel flanges that are bolted to the wall. The 4x4 goes inside the flange and the flange and the 4x4 are mated with lag bolts.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/Dream%20It%20-%20Do%20It/Pergola/IMG_0354.jpg

But now see, if a deck is going on the wall, it'll work, if the wall is properly constructed. BUT deck posts that are PLANTED IN THE GROUND are stronger tha posts that are positioned on piers. See, when the post is IN THE GROUND, swaying is reduced. When the posts are on top of the ground, then you have a greater potential for sway.

The best thing to do if you have never done stone masonry work is to sub it out to an experienced mason.

DVS Hardscaper
07-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Here are some before pictures, just so you can get a feel for what you're gettn into!

Do you think you'll be able to keep the wall LEVEL and perfectly SQUARE??

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/Dream%20It%20-%20Do%20It/IMG_0281.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/Dream%20It%20-%20Do%20It/IMG_0288.jpg

shethinksmytractors_sexy
07-29-2008, 05:26 PM
thanks for the help dvs. that is one hell of a good looking project. im pretty sure i can keep the wall level and square. i have done alot of masonry work but just never a veneer wall. i would like to put the post in the ground but i dont want them to rot overtime. but i think with them mounted on top it will be perfectly fine. the deck above will not be holding that much weight i think he is just putting a grill and some chairs/table up there. i wont have to worry about the hot tub going up there because he is putting it on the patio. if you could can you post some more pics if you have any on just the steps through the project. thanks!!!!