PDA

View Full Version : Help with a dying spot

HazellLawnCare
07-29-2008, 03:55 PM
I have a lawn that had a spot die off last summer. It is next to a very busy street so I thought no big deal it was salt burned or just the heat may have done it. I overseeded and aerated the spot last fall and go so so results. This spring the spot seemed to be trying to fill in and now it is dying again and spreading fast. I have included a couple of pictures to see if you guys can help me out. I took a soil sample and will have it analyzed tomorrow. Any hints?

HazellLawnCare
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Here is another pic. I have wondered if the man hole has anything to do with it? Also they paved the street right before it started dying.

Marcos
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I hope had added to your soil test, a 'soluble salts' analysis.
Not every soil testing facility will list this test on their form automatically.

I believe that's bermudagrass I see in your pics.
Is it all the same grass throughout the lawn, or a mix of different species?
If so, what?

What is your soil type? Clay?, sand?, silt?, rocky mixture of everything?

Is there, generally, a thatch problem in that bermuda lawn?

Have you checked for dead bodies in that manhole?

JDUtah
07-29-2008, 08:26 PM
IMO Definitely something wrong with the soil. Watering might be an issue as well, you water by hose?

Get that soil test (like Marcos said, hopefully with soluble salts) and post the results! We'll jump on it after that!

jbturf
07-29-2008, 10:31 PM
is there something oozing from that metal cover?

HazellLawnCare
07-29-2008, 11:20 PM
No the wet spot is where they moved the pipe from their sump pump. I am thinking they thought it was a drought condition when the rest of the yard looks fine.

RigglePLC
07-30-2008, 08:35 AM
I am thinking of a chemical spill from when they paved the road. Did they apply something to keep weeds from coming through the pavement? Hydraulic oil? Diesel? Does soil smell funny? Something dug out of manhole? Many soil labs do not test for chemical contamination unless you pay extra for special tests. Try growing some ryegrass seed in a sample of the soil in a coffee mug inside in your office. Likewise a sprig of the Bermuda grass. Also how deep is the soil? Is there concrete 6 inches down? Steam tunnel? High soil temp? Natural gas leak?

growingdeeprootsorganicly
07-31-2008, 08:11 AM
dig soil up as much as you can remove, replace with good top soil, seed/sod,fertilize,water= new grass

Frank Fescue
07-31-2008, 03:45 PM
first, whats UNDER the manhole? was topsoil placed directly ontop of concrete/cement? cuz that'll toast with a quickness.