PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck or Bumper pull?

Johnson LCO
07-29-2008, 06:49 PM
I am getting so sick of mowing and am contemplating selling my mowers and getting a dump trailer to concentrate on landscaping. I could have used, scratch that, needed a dump trailer this season but I stuck it out with my utility trailer making multiple trips and unloading by hand. I have 6k to spend and am wondering if I should go with a gooseneck or bumper pull dump trailer. The bumper pull is cheaper but seems so limited. I have an f350 diesel dually so I can handle the goosenecks weight but are there any drawbacks? How much weight can my truck handle on the trailer. I am having a hard time finding much info on goosenecks because not many people have them so I am hoping someone can enlighten me. Can I realistically get a used gooseneck dump for $6k? Any input is appreciated.

TXNSLighting
07-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Ive used both, and loved the gooseneck over the bumper pull. It just pulled easier and just felt better all around.

Johnson LCO
07-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Wow. I knew not many people had them but cmon someone has to have some info.

bobcat_ron
07-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Goosenecks are safer when puling at any speeds, even when going around a corner. You are transferring up to 3000 lbs (depending on load size and placement) to the truck and it will carry the weight better on the truck axles, bumper pulls will cause your truck to sway and the can jack knife on you quickly in an accident, the weight is dragged by the truck, and putting more weight to the hitch just makes it worse, you are also robbing traction from the steering wheels by doing that.
I went with a GN trailer, and I am not looking back, only when I am backing up.

punt66
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I like bumper pull because there wont be a fith wheel in the bed taking up space. Bumper pulls can still haul alot of weight.

meets1
07-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I have both and love both. each has there own place. Goose is fine, heavier loads, etc. Bumper is good - no need for ball in truck but really guys - complaining about the ball in the bed is just stupid. depends on your use, hauling etc. I have the options of different trucks and trailers so I can use what I want when needed. 6K is not alot for a trailer - not new at least.

mybowtie
07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I have both and love both. each has there own place. Goose is fine, heavier loads, etc. Bumper is good - no need for ball in truck but really guys - complaining about the ball in the bed is just stupid. depends on your use, hauling etc. I have the options of different trucks and trailers so I can use what I want when needed. 6K is not alot for a trailer - not new at least.

I belive the last guy was thinking of a 5th wheel hitch...they do take up room.
A gooseneck is a no issue with taking up room in the truck bed....plus you can get the flip style. :usflag:

bobcat_ron
07-29-2008, 11:48 PM
I have a pop up reverse King pin set up, I can still use the flat deck of my truck, I just step on the pin and it pops down.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures689.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures691.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures692.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/Pictures690.jpg

dura to the max
07-29-2008, 11:50 PM
be careful w/ the flip style, can get sand/dirt w/e in there and become in-operable very quickly,

bobcat_ron
07-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I carry a bottle of brake cleaner with me, after every time I drop a dirty excavator bucket on there, I spray it out.

Gravel Rat
07-30-2008, 12:24 AM
A gooseneck is far better for handling a load better a bumper pull is horrible.

Johnson LCO
07-30-2008, 12:26 AM
I said I was looking for a used trailer for whoever mentioned my low budget.
Can my truck even handle a 20,000lb trailer with a gooseneck setup?
Bobcat ron, how much did that setup cost you?
Thanks for the input.

CALandscapes
07-30-2008, 12:29 AM
I pulled a 20k lb. gooseneck dump trailer with a Dodge 2500 Cummins no problem.

I bought the trailer used for around $6,500.00.

I would suspect that you could get a 22 yd. dump (6x8x4ish) used for around that if you looked in the right place(s).

I would DEFINITELY suggest gooseneck for hauling weight.

chevydump03
07-30-2008, 10:03 AM
I pulled a 20k lb. gooseneck dump trailer with a Dodge 2500 Cummins no problem.

I bought the trailer used for around $6,500.00.

I would suspect that you could get a 22 yd. dump (6x8x4ish) used for around that if you looked in the right place(s).

I would DEFINITELY suggest gooseneck for hauling weight.

Did you mean 2-3 yd dump?

Junior M
07-30-2008, 10:25 AM
if you are goin to get a dump trailer i would definetly go with a gooseneck....

there are tons of pros and cons to every trailer so you have to go with the one you prefer and your truck will be just fine pulling that large of a trailer. but like i said it is all personal preference... right now i wish i would have gotten a gooseneck instead of a bumper pull just for that fact of i cant use all the space becuz i can only put certain pieces of equipment in certain places... but like i said it is all personal preference...

TXNSLighting
07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I like bumper pull because there wont be a fith wheel in the bed taking up space. Bumper pulls can still haul alot of weight.

Their not 5th wheels big guy. Its goosenecks. Thats a little ball in the bed that goes away when your not using it

punt66
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Their not 5th wheels big guy. Its goosenecks. Thats a little ball in the bed that goes away when your not using it

ok. That is better but i can pull all my trailers with all 3 of my trucks without having to put a goosneck on it. I pull a 12' enclosed, 24' enclosed, and a 26' enclosed without a fith or goosneck. Mulch, leaves, or brush are the only loads light enough to carry big yardages with a pickup. So in my experience i have found bumper pulls have done just fine, cheaper, easier to resell etc. To each is own. I am sure a goosneck will pull better but have never had any trouble with a bumper pull.

bobcat_ron
07-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I said I was looking for a used trailer for whoever mentioned my low budget.
Can my truck even handle a 20,000lb trailer with a gooseneck setup?
Bobcat ron, how much did that setup cost you?
Thanks for the input.

The hitch system installed cost me just over $2000 in welding and shop rates, that system is good for 32,000 pounds, it will wear out as with all jaw systems, but it's easily done by hand and replacement parts are easy to get. Most ball type GN couplers have a max. allowable load limit of 20,000 pounds, so I went overkill as is the trailer, it's good for 20,000 pounds GVW.

Junior M
07-30-2008, 01:08 PM
ok. That is better but i can pull all my trailers with all 3 of my trucks without having to put a goosneck on it. I pull a 12' enclosed, 24' enclosed, and a 26' enclosed without a fith or goosneck. Mulch, leaves, or brush are the only loads light enough to carry big yardages with a pickup. So in my experience i have found bumper pulls have done just fine, cheaper, easier to resell etc. To each is own. I am sure a goosneck will pull better but have never had any trouble with a bumper pull.
but like you said you arent carrying big heavy loads just leaves, mulch, and brush.. so a bumper pull doesnt have that much of an effect on you.....

fool32696
07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
I think my flip up gooseneck ball is rated at 30000 lbs trailer and 7000 lbs tongue. Not that it really matters because it's mounted in a 2500hd.

bobcat_ron
07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
The weight rating is how much it can handle, or even the shearing strength of the ball, it doesn't matter what size truck it's going in, if the ball isn't rated for the load, it'll snap.

BrandonV
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
if i had 6k I might look around for a beatup dump truck.

Gravel Rat
07-30-2008, 08:52 PM
The weakest link is the trucks frame the hitch is bolted too.

A friend of mine converted his goosneck hitch so it works with his fifth wheel hitch for his big fiver camp trailer. What he packs on his gooseneck flatdeck tandem single trailer no way a bumper pull could do that.

You get a bumper pull start wagging its tail it will throw the truck around and can be unnerving. Your constantly using the brake controller to put the trailer brakes on to stop the sway.

allinearth
07-30-2008, 09:31 PM
I once only used bumper pulls but the loads got heavier and heavier. So I bought a gooseneck and will never look back for heavy loads. Just gotta watch your turns a little more because a gooseneck won't follow as close as a bumper pull. I have a gooseneck dump and it is great for the right areas.

punt66
07-30-2008, 10:26 PM
The weakest link is the trucks frame the hitch is bolted too.

A friend of mine converted his goosneck hitch so it works with his fifth wheel hitch for his big fiver camp trailer. What he packs on his gooseneck flatdeck tandem single trailer no way a bumper pull could do that.

You get a bumper pull start wagging its tail it will throw the truck around and can be unnerving. Your constantly using the brake controller to put the trailer brakes on to stop the sway.

Thats from a light tonge weight. Not properly loaded or balanced load.

Junior M
07-30-2008, 11:28 PM
but when it comes down to it i would go with the gooseneck.. once you get a gooseneck you will never go back to a bumper pull...

LindblomRJ
07-31-2008, 03:17 AM

Not really. Gooseneck ball doesn't eat up that much space. And a flip up ball even less.

Thats from a light tonge weight. Not properly loaded or balanced load.

No always. Even when its loaded a bumper pull is not as stable as a gooseneck or 5th wheel setup.

Any sort of load I would rather use a gooseneck.

Junior M
07-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Not really. Gooseneck ball doesn't eat up that much space. And a flip up ball even less.

No always. Even when its loaded a bumper pull is not as stable as a gooseneck or 5th wheel setup.

Any sort of load I would rather use a gooseneck.
a bumper pull will be bouncy no matter how it is loaded....

Junior M
07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
a bumper pull will be bouncy no matter how it is loaded....
sorry i meant to say i agree...

CALandscapes
07-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Did you mean 2-3 yd dump?

No, I meant a 22 yd. dump.

A few months ago I sold a 2005 Andersen 20k lbs. 33 cu. yd. dump trailer for $6,700.

I've had a few buddies buy and sell similar trailers for around the same.

You can buy a brand new 36 yd. 20k lbs. gooseneck dump trailer out of TX for around $11k.

chevydump03
07-31-2008, 10:11 PM
No, I meant a 22 yd. dump.

A few months ago I sold a 2005 Andersen 20k lbs. 33 cu. yd. dump trailer for $6,700.

I've had a few buddies buy and sell similar trailers for around the same.

You can buy a brand new 36 yd. 20k lbs. gooseneck dump trailer out of TX for around $11k.

Not to argue with you, but that's a BIG trailer for any pickup to handle. 21 yd would be a trailer 9'x27'x3'. With topsoil weighing approx 1 ton/yd, you're talking 21 ton or 42,000 lbs. That's what semi's are carrying. I think more than a f350 would want.

corey4671
07-31-2008, 10:34 PM
I have a B&W hide a ball hitch in my truck. no lost space whatsoever.

nosparkplugs
08-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I tow with both, and IMO both methods have their pro's & con's

Three years ago I would have to agree that a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch took up valuable truck bed space. Unless you have a B & W type Hide-a-Ball hitch; which is a gooseneck, 5th wheel of kingpin hitch all in one with a flush mount only a 4" hole in the truck bed. The B&W 5th wheel hitch is called the Companion, and is removable , requires no additional hardware or drilling to install, just locks onto the gooseneck hitch ball, and can be removed at anytime when truck bed space is needed.

Gooseneck towing is much more expensive to "get into", and generally requires a 3/4 ton longbox truck. Diesel is the best engine IMO for gooseneck towing

Gooseneck trailers are a pain in the arse to hitch up!!!, can break your back window if not careful:laugh:

Gooseneck trailers are safer, tighter turning radius, stable loading platform and offer higher GTWR. their heavy too

Gooseneck trailer's take up more storage space.

The "stock" gooseneck trailer ride is unrefined, and beats you up!!!
http://www.yourtrailerhitch.com/index.html

In conclusion I need both for my business, and when operating both a bumper or frame style hitch, and a gooseneck style hitch, without some type of air ride the gooseneck hitch is brutal on your kidney's & truck.

For the LCO considering a gooseneck set-up be prepared to spend some cash to do it right.

bobcat_ron
08-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Three years ago I would have to agree that a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch took up valuable truck bed space. Unless you have a B & W type Hide-a-Ball hitch; which is a gooseneck, 5th wheel of kingpin hitch all in one with a flush mount only a 4" hole in the truck bed. The B&W 5th wheel hitch is called the Companion, and is removable , requires no additional hardware or drilling to install, just locks onto the gooseneck hitch ball, and can be removed at anytime when truck bed space is needed.

Gooseneck towing is much more expensive to "get into", and generally requires a 3/4 ton longbox truck. Diesel is the best engine IMO for gooseneck towing

Gooseneck trailers are a pain in the arse to hitch up!!!, can break your back window if not careful:laugh:

If you are a sucker they are a PITA, my system self guides and locks in place one I hit the pin.
But there are some companies that offer self-guiding kits that make it easier.

Oasis-Outdoor
08-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I used to have a bumper pull, and went to a Load Trail gooseneck dump trailer several years ago. I like the gooseneck so much better. It is so much more stable, there is really no comparison. As far as hooking up to it, you will quickly find a system that works for you. I had to relearn to back up to mine when I added an across the bed mounted toolbox. Now I just site down the center of the toolbox and use a reference point on the gooseneck as to when to stop. Usually get it lined up on the first shot everytime. One thing to remember on a larger trailer is to recheck the adjustment on your brake controller after you get a load in it, but before you get out in traffic. Things can get interesting when you have to stop quickly and have not adjusted it to the load!

LindblomRJ
08-04-2008, 12:06 AM
I used to have a bumper pull, and went to a Load Trail gooseneck dump trailer several years ago. I like the gooseneck so much better. It is so much more stable, there is really no comparison. As far as hooking up to it, you will quickly find a system that works for you. I had to relearn to back up to mine when I added an across the bed mounted toolbox. Now I just site down the center of the toolbox and use a reference point on the gooseneck as to when to stop. Usually get it lined up on the first shot everytime. One thing to remember on a larger trailer is to recheck the adjustment on your brake controller after you get a load in it, but before you get out in traffic. Things can get interesting when you have to stop quickly and have not adjusted it to the load!

That is what I do. Hook up of a goose neck is almost easier than a bumper pull IMO.

Junior M
08-04-2008, 01:22 AM

Gooseneck trailers are safer, tighter turning radius, stable loading platform and offer higher GTWR. their heavy too

Gooseneck trailer's take up more storage space.

The "stock" gooseneck trailer ride is unrefined, and beats you up!!!
http://www.yourtrailerhitch.com/index.html

In conclusion I need both for my business, and when operating both a bumper or frame style hitch, and a gooseneck style hitch, without some type of air ride the gooseneck hitch is brutal on your kidney's & truck.

For the LCO considering a gooseneck set-up be prepared to spend some cash to do it right.
i always thought goosenecks were a smoother ride compared to a bumper pull..

farmboy52787
08-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Not to argue with you, but that's a BIG trailer for any pickup to handle. 21 yd would be a trailer 9'x27'x3'. With topsoil weighing approx 1 ton/yd, you're talking 21 ton or 42,000 lbs. That's what semi's are carrying. I think more than a f350 would want.

I know a farmer around here who hauls a full size tractor with round baler on his gooseneck trailer, so thats gotta be atleast 30,000lbs i would say and he uses a chevy 3500. So whats the most a one ton can handle for a gooseneck? What about a single rear wheel one ton what would that be able to handle? I would like to get a gooseneck dump trailer and if a one ton can handle those trailers with tandem wheels with duals ill get one, but if it cant then ill have to get one with tandems and singles, but the most it can haul is 14,000 lbs. What about a triaxle would you then be able to haul 21,000 lbs? Who makes those?

chevydump03
08-04-2008, 08:51 AM
I know a farmer around here who hauls a full size tractor with round baler on his gooseneck trailer, so thats gotta be atleast 30,000lbs i would say and he uses a chevy 3500. So whats the most a one ton can handle for a gooseneck? What about a single rear wheel one ton what would that be able to handle? I would like to get a gooseneck dump trailer and if a one ton can handle those trailers with tandem wheels with duals ill get one, but if it cant then ill have to get one with tandems and singles, but the most it can haul is 14,000 lbs. What about a triaxle would you then be able to haul 21,000 lbs? Who makes those?
In my case, I have no CDL, I am limited to 14,000. My 1 ton has a gross of 12,000, so my trailer gross is limited to 14,000, to stay under the 26,001 that would require a cdl. That is with a bumper or gooseneck.

With cdl, I would say you counld go to 18,000 safely with a 1 ton and gooseneck. Remember that when figuring your payload, to subtract your trailer weight.

A number of years ago, I had a gooseneck grain trailer, 14,000 gross. The trailer weighed 5600 (as I recall). I had 10,000 of soybeans (overloaded). That load was all that truck would handle, and I wouldn't say it did it easily. The truck was a '78 chevy flatbed with a 350, with mods, and 4-spd. It wasn't a 4x4 so no low range. Just bearly able to get it moving, coming out of a field. Newer diesels would be much better.

A gooseneck is a very good option for heavy weights. Just remember that when figuring out what trailer you need/want, that it will carry what you need it to safely and legally. ex. 15,000 farm tractor, plus trailer 5,000 equals 20,000 plus truck gross 12,000, puts you at 32,000. CDL time! Check your trucks gross tow rating.

Good luck!

farmboy52787
08-04-2008, 10:09 AM
In my case, I have no CDL, I am limited to 14,000. My 1 ton has a gross of 12,000, so my trailer gross is limited to 14,000, to stay under the 26,001 that would require a cdl. That is with a bumper or gooseneck.

With cdl, I would say you counld go to 18,000 safely with a 1 ton and gooseneck. Remember that when figuring your payload, to subtract your trailer weight.

A number of years ago, I had a gooseneck grain trailer, 14,000 gross. The trailer weighed 5600 (as I recall). I had 10,000 of soybeans (overloaded). That load was all that truck would handle, and I wouldn't say it did it easily. The truck was a '78 chevy flatbed with a 350, with mods, and 4-spd. It wasn't a 4x4 so no low range. Just bearly able to get it moving, coming out of a field. Newer diesels would be much better.

A gooseneck is a very good option for heavy weights. Just remember that when figuring out what trailer you need/want, that it will carry what you need it to safely and legally. ex. 15,000 farm tractor, plus trailer 5,000 equals 20,000 plus truck gross 12,000, puts you at 32,000. CDL time! Check your trucks gross tow rating.

Good luck!
Ok you definately would never need a CDL to drive a one ton with a trailer. CDL's are only for trucks that have a GVWR of 26001 or more pounds and for a Class A only in there trailer has a GVWR of 10001 or more pounds. I would know because I have a class B and took the class back in High School. Also I know of a box truck that has a GVWR of 26000 pounds and all you need is a Class C to operate it regardless of what it is hauling for weight. Someone please agree with me. Also my trucks towing rating is at the bumper, I'll have to check the manual to see if its got one for a goose neck.

chevydump03
08-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Check your regs. A cdl is required for any comm vehicle with Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating over 26001. There are other classifications that would also put you in a class requiring a cdl. There are several threads on this discussion. Do a search.

farmboy52787
08-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Check your regs. A cdl is required for any comm vehicle with Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating over 26001. There are other classifications that would also put you in a class requiring a cdl. There are several threads on this discussion. Do a search.
Your right about a CDL if only the vehicle has a GVWR of 260001 or more. And you still definately wrong, my registration on my one ton says class C, therefore you dont need a cdl no matter what your hauling. But if you have a trailer rated for 20000 and a truck rated for 10000, you would have your registered weight be 30000 on your registration and you only need a class C. DOT can stop you and if your over say 30000 they'll fine you but if not then they cant do a damn thing. Somebody please back me up on this.

pjtrailerguy
08-04-2008, 08:49 PM
If you want info on gooseneck vs. bumper pull and prices on them both and if you are interested in a dealer that has them in stock, give me a call at toll free 866-463-9911. My name is Wendall. We sell only PJ trailers and always have gooseneck dumps in stock. All our gooseneck dumps are 09 models right now. We are located in central PA and run down to Delaware all the time on deliverys.

nosparkplugs
08-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Check out the the Prodigy 2.6 digital brake controller self leveling,self adjusting to load

BrandonV
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Your right about a CDL if only the vehicle has a GVWR of 260001 or more. And you still definately wrong, my registration on my one ton says class C, therefore you dont need a cdl no matter what your hauling. But if you have a trailer rated for 20000 and a truck rated for 10000, you would have your registered weight be 30000 on your registration and you only need a class C. DOT can stop you and if your over say 30000 they'll fine you but if not then they cant do a damn thing. Somebody please back me up on this.

Class A - Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg).

Class B - Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg) GVWR.

Class C - Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

KrayzKajun
08-04-2008, 09:27 PM
i just bought my first goose neck dump and i love it!!!

Junior M
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
i just bought my first goose neck dump and i love it!!!
do you pull it with your 1500?

bnorton
08-08-2008, 06:55 AM
I am selling my GN dump trailer. Bought new in 3/2008 from Gator-Made. It is a 16' 14,000# dump with 6' ramps and 6 D-rings in the bed. Trailer is in great shape, absolutely nothing wrong with the trailer. Also it has a trickle charger that charges the battery anytime it is plugged into the truck. I haul a New Holland TC40 tractor in it all the time. New Cost - $ 8400.00 asking $ 7200.00.

GravelyNut
08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Class A - Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg).

Class B - Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg) GVWR.

Class C - Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

Those are just Federal guidelines. They are not cast in stone as to the weights. Some states have gone to stricter weight ratings, check your state laws. And while a 2500HD series truck may be able to tow a 20K or 30K trailer, it also could get you in trouble real quick with the DOT guy with the blue lights on the roof. And the trailer could even be empty. GCWR of a 30K trailer and truck would be exceeded by the trailer alone.