PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Issues please advise

landscaper9929
07-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Guys I posted a while back about this issue and I have just about got it worked out but I have a question. The system in question has had some work done on it in the past, not sure why but I assume wiring issues due to the fact that there has been new wire run. They went from a 12 strand to single strand, with the exception being at the sleeve where the left the 12 strand and spliced into it on both sides. I dug up the splice on both sides of the sleeve so I can put them in a valve box, and to use them to locate the valves with. There are 2 of the old 12 strands that when I hook the 521 to it I get voltage on three of the other wires. The same three both times, & the common. Why is this happening? I have since bi-passed these 2 wires and am going to use 2 of the 4 that were left and not being used in the 12 strand. When I did this I only got voltage to the wire I was hooked to. So like I said why would I get power to wires I'm not connected to?

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Guys I posted a while back about this issue and I have just about got it worked out but I have a question. The system in question has had some work done on it in the past, not sure why but I assume wiring issues due to the fact that there has been new wire run. They went from a 12 strand to single strand, with the exception being at the sleeve where the left the 12 strand and spliced into it on both sides. I dug up the splice on both sides of the sleeve so I can put them in a valve box, and to use them to locate the valves with. There are 2 of the old 12 strands that when I hook the 521 to it I get voltage on three of the other wires. The same three both times, & the common. Why is this happening? I have since bi-passed these 2 wires and am going to use 2 of the 4 that were left and not being used in the 12 strand. When I did this I only got voltage to the wire I was hooked to. So like I said why would I get power to wires I'm not connected to?

have you put a multi meter to it yet?

is it possible you have another splice you aren't seeing?..
run a wire above ground and see if that can help anything....