PDA

View Full Version : 20V Solenoid?

evergreensolutions
07-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I have a wire that is evidently nicked under a 40 ft drive. The controller is sending out ~25V but I am only getting ~20V at the valve. These are Irritrol Valves. I can't get the solenoid to fire. Are there any solenoids that will fire with less than 24V?

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Battery operated valves.

Wet_Boots
07-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Any solenoid can fire with less than 20 volts, but you have to either fix the wiring fault or move on, as if it was completely cut.

evergreensolutions
07-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I purchased an IBOC, but would rather it operate from the controller. Cutting the concrete is not an option for this HOA.

WalkGood
07-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I have a wire that is evidently nicked under a 40 ft drive. The controller is sending out ~25V but I am only getting ~20V at the valve. These are Irritrol Valves. I can't get the solenoid to fire. Are there any solenoids that will fire with less than 24V?

Hopefully this wire is in a sleeve under the drive? And you have no spare wires in there? Dig up the wire BEFORE the drive and test the voltage. Make sure you make a water-proof connection. Pinpoint the "bad" area of wire and replace it.

EagleLandscape
07-29-2008, 11:21 PM
If it is an HOA< you will probably have a sleeve (PVC pipe conduit) under the driveway in which you can dig up both ends, and just snake a new wire through.

Best fix, not very expensive at all.

I would do that.

irrig8r
07-29-2008, 11:25 PM
I bet it's nice to be young and an optimist..... :rolleyes:

Waterit
07-29-2008, 11:47 PM
I bet it's nice to be young and an optimist..... :rolleyes:

He's getting married Saturday - optimism defined!

JW - been married 17 years, honeymoon still ain't over!

WalkGood
08-01-2008, 07:16 PM
If it is an HOA< you will probably have a sleeve (PVC pipe conduit) under the driveway in which you can dig up both ends, and just snake a new wire through.

Best fix, not very expensive at all.

I would do that.

The voltage drop might not be caused by something at either immediate end of the drive. But I'd test the one end closest to the controller before digging the other side.

Mike Leary
08-01-2008, 07:21 PM
If it is an HOA< you will probably have a sleeve (PVC pipe conduit) under the driveway

Hilarious comment of the month. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

bicmudpuppy
08-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Sometimes, I have to agree with Dana and Mike. It truly HURTS to just GIVE free knowledge to the un-informed and inexperieced. Your solution can be found in most decent irrigation supply houses these days. I recently found out that my Toro supplier is a GOLF ONLY outlet and they never heard of my friends at R-Co.........Scratched my head for a long time over that one. W/o them, there would be little service for Buckner, Moody, etc.

They make a really KEWL product called an Add-A-Zone. Look it up. It will make you some change. I can make it to Durango CO so you can pay me back on your next ski trip from the money you make with such valuable knowledge.

evergreensolutions
08-03-2008, 05:47 PM
quote "Sometimes, I have to agree with Dana and Mike. It truly HURTS to just GIVE free knowledge to the un-informed and inexperieced. Your solution can be found in most decent irrigation supply houses these days."

Perhaps you should not visit a FORUM if your intent is not to GIVE ADVICE.

forum |ˈfrəm|
noun ( pl. forums )
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged : it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their on medical research.

bicmudpuppy
08-03-2008, 06:09 PM
quote "Sometimes, I have to agree with Dana and Mike. It truly HURTS to just GIVE free knowledge to the un-informed and inexperieced. Your solution can be found in most decent irrigation supply houses these days."

forum |ˈfrəm|
noun ( pl. forums )
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged : it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their on medical research.

When I started here, I understood this to be a place for PROFESSIONALS to exchange thoughts (good, bad, ugly, sarcastic). There IS a forum here for HOMEOWNERS and those who haven't paid there dues in the mud. But, back then unless you were EXTREMELY abusive and PERSONAL, we never had a thread deleted or closed. No offense Mike, but I find the interference offensive. If is probably needed, but we used to take care of it ourselves. Where were you when we were dealing with Stagnant Pressure? There was a guy who could have used some moderation. There have been a LOT of newbies and HO's who have been helped, but the came in with their tales down, had the patients to do their homework, and showed patients for our answers.

Waterit
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Ah, crap, isn't it enough we have to put with the Kiril-Boots whining?

BIC - I agree with you to a point. Maybe we need a new sticky - Poster Beware, you may get your little feelings hurt!

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 06:23 PM

forum |ˈfrəm|
noun ( pl. forums )
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged : it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their on medical research.Dear Internet,

Kindly behave precisely as I expect you to, without variance.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Sincerly yours,Guy without a clue

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 06:26 PM

If the water pressure is high any solenoid is going to have a problem. Only takes 7 volts to hold a solenoid open I believe but pressure has a lot to do with it opening. Add A Zones do work well. I've used several to great success. We keep all vehicles stocked with one. JDL at Floyd has one as well as Horizon. (Better price at Horizon)

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Evergreens a good guy. Cut him some slack puhleeeze.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Guys trying to diagnose by way of voltage measurements have to get a razzing, since a current-killing fault will still allow voltage readings.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Guys trying to diagnose by way of voltage measurements have to get a razzing, since a current-killing fault will still allow voltage readings.

Basically what Boots is saying is that voltage seeks the path of least resistance back home. If it can bleed to earth ground versus through a solenoid coil it will bleed to earth ground. Not sure on my vernacular but am trying to paint an electrical climate picture.:)

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 07:10 PM
A voltmeter is actually a very high resistance, so it takes almost zero current to make it read any voltage. One could have a bad connection that is a high resistance, that won't fire a solenoid, but it will still pass enough current for a voltmeter to show 'correct' voltage. Sub-par readings might point at an even-higher resistance

evergreensolutions
08-03-2008, 07:24 PM
My feelings were certainly not hurt. If you are going to razz me, expect some razzing in return. For what it is worth, I am a licensed irrigator in the State of Texas. I am newly licensed, so I realize that I have A LOT to learn. I find this site to be very informative. I do also realize that there are a few "codgers":laugh: on this site who like to give us new guys a hard time. I am a big boy and can take it. If something was removed by the moderator and I missed it, then I owe you an apology. I do however think that we have a lot to learn from one another through the sharing of knowledge (some in irrigation, others in business management, others in the ins and outs of RV's). I appreciate everyone who has given valuable input, and find humor in those who have not. By the way, I dug up the supply line and exposed the wires. No sleeve under said parking lot, but magically the voltage is reading fine. Installed a new solenoid for good measure and all is well in Richardson.*trucewhiteflag*

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Uh-oh, a Texas Licensed Irrigator. The woods are full of them this time of year.

evergreensolutions
08-03-2008, 07:29 PM
The woods are full because we won't pee behind a customers bush!!!!:laugh:

Mike Leary
08-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I appreciate everyone who has given valuable input, and find humor in those who have not.

Don't trust anyone on this forum, we're all liars.

Wet_Boots
08-03-2008, 07:40 PM

He's lying.

WalkGood
08-03-2008, 09:47 PM
He's lying.

Wasn't that how the Alice series was disabled?

hoskm01
08-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Hilarious comment of the month. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
There are swing joints or funny pipe at all heads too! HA.