PDA

View Full Version : Laying Sod?

Oasislawnman
07-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Was wondering if you guys could help me in pricing my first sod job. What is a good price on a pallet of St Augustine sod. Also how do you figure how much to charge labor? The prep work will already be done, I just have to lay it. Thanks, for your help.

yardmanlee
07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
bluegrass and tall fescue here w/ no prep .75 per sq ft.

dura to the max
07-29-2008, 10:27 PM
in your neck of the woods i think you'll be doing good to get $50/pallet plus delivery and sod cost. when you order make sure to order the small rolls, in spring i did 2 pallets in 70 minutes solo w/ no prep moving it a decent distance in a wheelbarrow. the rolls go out about 10 times faster than squares.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-02-2008, 02:06 PM
In Orlando we get a pallet for about 100-125.If all I have to do is through it with out alot of walking then maybe 50 if its only one pallet though I might even try to get 75-100 to make it worth my time.If it needs prep then 300 a pallet with the sod.Theirs alot of guys that will do it cheaper but you get what you pay for and my work will be as good or better than any one else

Rhett
08-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Dang here last pallet I bought was 160 with delivery. No prep min 75 to put down. Found when they say no prep they have usually done a crappy job.

Patriot Services
08-03-2008, 06:01 PM
75 a pallet is a price. For that I do a minimum prep of scalping the old turf and putting down a little starter fert. 500 square ft pallets are cheaper than 400sq ft. I always pickup my own if it's only 1 pallet. The dealer I use hand loads it in the truck bed. Saves 40.00 delivery and 5.00 pallet deposit. For all you northern guys, St Augustine comes in 16" x 24" pieces not rolls. each piece weighs 20-25lbs and has a 2" soil base.:usflag:

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
When I say lay it thats just what I mean.Green side up and kick.I dont get much sod work because I'm to much.W.T.F. The mexicans are throwing it for 1/2 what I will.I even have a client whos father an acre done for 10 buck a pallet.I repeat W.T.F. I also pick up my own sod as long as its 2 pallets or less but then they get a 60 doller fee for that as well.I'm really starting to charge for every damn thing.The clients that have been with me from the first year get all the benifits.The rest get all the fees

yardmanlee
08-03-2008, 08:10 PM
no prep means new construction final grade and I'll I gotta do is bring the sod in and roll it out and we do a pretty damn good job, if I dont say so myself !!

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-03-2008, 08:29 PM
If I tell aclient that the sod will be bumpy,it's not cut in right,or what ever the problem is with their grad work and they say they dont care then I dont care.Only had one commercial like this with one pallet but as you may have figured,the sod went down on top of weeds and all.I aint working for free.The reality of sod is that it died for a reason and without fixing that issue, the sod will most likely have the same issues and with that being said most clients who arent watching pennies will pay to have a job done right.If I can I want to sell them a round up treat ment,compost soil,3-4 in. tilling of the site,gradding,starter fert,sod,and hydratain.That will get the grass greener on your side of the fence.If I can I try to talk them into some landscaping.I can turn 1000 a day by myself putting in plants.Thats profit.VERY SLOW PROFIT RIGHT NOW but great when you get a job

South Florida Lawns
08-03-2008, 11:28 PM
A lot of guys take their price of materials, say $120 for sod and dbl it, $240 and that's how they get the total.

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I do that with my plants alot and have found it to be very competitive as long as you only have to lay out the design and put them in.But a yard of compost is 25 bucks and you'll have to be a good client to get me to shovel that yard for that same 25.You also need to be aware of what the market will allow.Some people just got money and arent shy about using it.I would have to say that sod work is hard,dirty,and you rarley get what I think that kind of work is worth.To many guys willing to do it cheap because they got a mexican or idiot working for nothing.