PDA

View Full Version : Who kills fieldgrasses in cool season turf?

whoopassonthebluegrass
07-29-2008, 11:45 PM
I live in a rural area. There are myriad different field grasses that inevitably make their way into most every yard. I assume this is not isolated to my neck of the woods.

My question: do you guys take care of it? Obviously simple foxtail and crabgrass are handled. DRIVE does the trick. But do you guys take the time to actually sponge-glyphosate on the grass with those hand tools out there? Do you have chemicals that actually work? I don't think MSMA works on cool season, and products like Corsaire are spotty at best (and pricey)...

I'm just wondering if I could actually market this as an expensive add-on for the picky...

Rayholio
07-30-2008, 12:44 AM
might check out ornamec... labeled for johnsongrass at least :)

whoopassonthebluegrass
07-30-2008, 05:49 AM
might check out ornamec... labeled for johnsongrass at least :)

I checked this product out, but it's not meant for application in turf. It's more like Fusilade (actually JUST like it) - where it's designed to control grasses that have grown into landscaping/orchards/gardens...

Rayholio
07-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Actually, it is labeled for control of johnsongrass in turf.. and bermuda.. we have been using it like crazy lately.. it's great..

the other option is to get some PVC, and rope.. Make a wicking stick, shaped like a hockey stick.. cover about a foot to a foot and a half per swipe..

whoopassonthebluegrass
07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Actually, it is labeled for control of johnsongrass in turf.. and bermuda.. we have been using it like crazy lately.. it's great..

the other option is to get some PVC, and rope.. Make a wicking stick, shaped like a hockey stick.. cover about a foot to a foot and a half per swipe..

I could only find where it said it could control bermuda grass in zoysia/tall fescue...

Have you used this product in kentucky bluegrass without damaging the desirable turf? Also, the label calls for upwards of 3 applications. Is this what you're doing?

Rayholio
07-30-2008, 12:50 PM
We've actually had success in one.. we normally do two just to make sure though..

I applied to bluegrass yesterday.. We'll know in about 2 weeks :)

JDUtah
07-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Please keep us posted... good thread :)

EA Quinn
07-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Theres a cool new product out by Syngenta called Tenacity. See if the label lists the grasses you are trying to get rid of. It does an awesome job of getting rid of bentgrass. Only downfall, it usually requires 2-3 applicaitons a few weeks apart to get great results.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
07-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Theres a cool new product out by Syngenta called Tenacity. See if the label lists the grasses you are trying to get rid of. It does an awesome job of getting rid of bentgrass. Only downfall, it usually requires 2-3 applicaitons a few weeks apart to get great results.

Only problem is, it's only labeled for golf & sod farms so far:cry::cry::cry:

JDUtah
07-30-2008, 07:18 PM
That's not how I read it... Select Tenacity then search....
http://www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/labels/default.aspx

Notice Markets and Crops

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
07-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I was just down at Purdue 2 weeks ago & they had a full session & test plots on Tenacity & said it wasn't going to be labeled for other than golf & sod until at least Fall?:confused:

BTW, have you seen pricing on Tenacity?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
We've actually had success in one.. we normally do two just to make sure though..

I applied to bluegrass yesterday.. We'll know in about 2 weeks :)

Ray, what rate have you had success with? Also, what surfactant did you use? I sprayed some w/ fusilade 2 a week & a half ago & it doesn't show any damage?

Rayholio
07-30-2008, 11:25 PM
High labeled rate.. I think maybe 8oz per 1k.. and it comes with its own surfactant...

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
07-30-2008, 11:42 PM
High labeled rate.. I think maybe 8oz per 1k.. and it comes with its own surfactant...

Oh, that's right, you used Ornamec-It's AI is much less that Fusilade 2. You have to add in your own surfactant w. Fusilade.

EA Quinn
07-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes you are right about it not being available to residential yet. I am told by my syngetna rep they are shooting for first thing in the spring. I went to a field day at UConn the other day and they had a test plot with it. They had Craig from Purdue come out and speak about his current research as well. Its an interesting product to watch.

heritage
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Only problem is, it's only labeled for golf & sod farms so far:cry::cry::cry:

Yep.

Mabey in the Spring it will have a Residential Turf Label......We Hope :dancing:

Pete

PHS
07-31-2008, 10:57 AM
That's not how I read it... Select Tenacity then search....
http://www.syngentaprofessionalprodu...s/default.aspx

Notice Markets and Crops

There's no wiggle room on the label and that's what you have to go by.

Would be great to have a material to possibly get bermuda out of St Augustine although at low rates I doubt it will work that well.