PDA

View Full Version : Get Rid of Your Extra Sod For Free

JimLewis
07-30-2008, 05:06 AM
For those of you who do a lot of new sod install jobs - I have a tip for you;

If you're like me, you always over-order on sod jobs just so you make sure you don't run out. Better to have 300 sq. ft. extra than be 50 sq. ft. short and not be able to finish the job that day, right? The sod farms I order from are a good 30-45 miles away and if you run short, your best bet is to drive to their farm the following morning and get another 50 or 100 sq. ft. or whatever you're short by - because they won't deliver nothing less than 1000 sq. ft. orders.

Anyway, if you're like me in this - and you typically over order by a little bit - than that means at the end of the day, you're typically left with a few hundred sq. ft. of sod, right?

And we all know day-old sod is pretty much dead sod. So this extra sod you're left with you gotta load up and haul it away somewhere, right?

Well, one day I decided to try something different. We finished laying the sod about 1:00 p.m. and we had a few hundred extra sq. ft. left over. So I posted an ad on Craigslist under the FOR SALE - FREE area of their website. I said that we had 300 sq. ft. of fresh, good sod left over and if someone had the means to come pick it up, we'd give it to them and even help them load it up. I told them they'd have to come get it by 5:00 p.m. or else we were hauling it away to the dump.

Within an hour, I had 20 people wanting that sod. All of them said they'd come over right away.

And ever since then, that's how we get rid of our excess sod.

'Course it helps that I have a laptop and constant internet connection in my truck. But even if you don't have that, just a quick call to the wife at home or a friend at work can accomplish the same thing.

It sure has saved us a lot of time and money in dumping fees over the last year. And I'm always amazed at how quickly it works. I get people hauling ass from all over town wanting that sod. It's hilarious to me because it's really only good if they use it that night or maybe the next morning. Plus, it's really not worth much.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that. I guess it's good for us and it helps them out too.

fool32696
07-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I've been doing this since my first sod job back in January. I've managed to even get paid most of the time. Try charging $20 to $50 based on sod left and instead of having 20 people show up, you will have 5 show up with cash. Less unhappy people, more money!

larryinalabama
07-30-2008, 02:05 PM
If its burmuda or zozisa I take it home and lay it on tob of plastic, keep it watered and use it for my own stuff when time permits. Fescue is generally seeded out here, and the sod generally wont hold togeather, so I put it in my wives garden an till it when I gett time

JimLewis
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I've been doing this since my first sod job back in January. I've managed to even get paid most of the time. Try charging $20 to $50 based on sod left and instead of having 20 people show up, you will have 5 show up with cash. Less unhappy people, more money!

I don't have 20 people show up. I just have 20 people respond. I just call the first person who responded and if he can't come right away I go to the next person on the list and call them. Whoever I get a hold of first, comes out and gets it. The other emails get deleted and the ad comes down.

I am not stupid enough to post my customer's address on Craigslist. I don't advocate that. I only give out the address and my company name to the person coming to pick it up.

I don't care to make any money off of it. I don't want to hassle and I don't want to have to meet them there at the jobsite. I just want them to show up and my guys will load it for them. That, alone, saves me a lot of money in dumping fees and labor to dump it.

JimLewis
07-30-2008, 02:31 PM
If its burmuda or zozisa I take it home and lay it on tob of plastic, keep it watered and use it for my own stuff when time permits. Fescue is generally seeded out here, and the sod generally wont hold togeather, so I put it in my wives garden an till it when I gett time

Again, not worth it. I don't have time, or the space, or the irrigation to keep random extra 300 sq. ft. leftovers of sod watered for 10 days until I get the next sod job. And the labor it would take to take it somewhere, lay it all out, make sure it stays irrigated, load it back up, take it to a new jobsite - just isn't worth the $80 I'd save. It would be a total waste of our time.

larryinalabama
07-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Again, not worth it. I don't have time, or the space, or the irrigation to keep random extra 300 sq. ft. leftovers of sod watered for 10 days until I get the next sod job. And the labor it would take to take it somewhere, lay it all out, make sure it stays irrigated, load it back up, take it to a new jobsite - just isn't worth the $80 I'd save. It would be a total waste of our time.

I understand. I only do about 6- 8 sod jobs per year. I dont take lefttovers to the next job, I use them for my own yard. I have 10 seperate lawns, 2 of them I sprigged with left over zoysia one of those is approx. 25000 sq feet. Im only a Lay Man but I have the yard that equils any millionare.

Az Gardener
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM
It is a mind set Jim. Some people just don't place a $$ value to their time or space. For some it is a hobby they get paid for. For us... well you know. As usual another good tip, thanks.

I wonder if I can get anyone to come pick up grass clippings :laugh::laugh:

JimLewis
07-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Yep. Hey, as a side note, I did this last year when we did that huge job in Surprise, AZ because I had NO idea where to haul stuff away there. So I posted the ad at 8:00 a.m. one morning and didn't get time to come check emails until noon. At noon I had 200+ emails already. It was crazy!!!

larryinalabama
07-30-2008, 03:05 PM
It is a mind set Jim. Some people just don't place a $$ value to their time or space. For some it is a hobby they get paid for. For us... well you know. As usual another good tip, thanks.

I wonder if I can get anyone to come pick up grass clippings :laugh::laugh:

I could have spent 7000 to 8000$ to sod my lawn, but I sprigged it with left over sod from a few jobs, sprigging doesnt take that much longer than using sod. That makes my time and space worth it to me. I do not reuse sod on other jobs, just my own stuff.

ViceNut
07-30-2008, 07:44 PM
I understand. I only do about 6- 8 sod jobs per year. I dont take lefttovers to the next job, I use them for my own yard. I have 10 seperate lawns, 2 of them I sprigged with left over zoysia one of those is approx. 25000 sq feet. Im only a Lay Man but I have the yard that equils any millionare.

Maybe the yard, but not the grammar. :laugh: