PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with this lawn?

QuadRacer041
07-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Can anyone tell me whats wrong with this lawn? Is it some sort of fungis? The weather conditions here in North Jersey have been very hot and humid over the past month or so. The lawn get irragated everyother for about 30-40 minutes per zone and get ALOT of sun.

Anyt help would be greatly appreciated.

JDUtah
07-30-2008, 02:15 PM
http://www.lesco.com/default.aspx?PageID=53&GroupID=5&GroupName=Disease+Reference

Click on Dollar Spot

QuadRacer041
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
http://www.lesco.com/default.aspx?PageID=53&GroupID=5&GroupName=Disease+Reference

Click on Dollar Spot

just checked that out, looks like it could as be leaf spot or brown patch as well. what do you think?

JDUtah
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM
lesions seem too big to be leaf spot...

Hmmm , not sure if I would bite the brown patch, I'de still say Dollar Spot..

Fertilizing history would help...

When was the last 3 treatments of fertilizer?

What fertilizer was used each time?

What form was the N in? Urea, Ammonium 'something', or 'something' Nitrate?

Was it time release fertilizer? Poly coated? Sulfur Coated? What percent was time release?

What rate was it applied each time?

Either way, have your lawn aerated. Check the thatch and if it is over 1/2" de-thatch it (be careful not to harm the active growing turf).

If you aren't, water in the morning, not evening. Figure how long it takes for the first inch of soil to dry out, then water. Water long enough so that 3 hours after watering you can dig down and the soil is moist 6" down. Then do not water more then that.

Bag the clippings until the disease is gone.

For treatment- You can try 123 NPP, it basically causes an enzyme that hydrolyzes (melts) fungi. Get it here... ICTorganics.com

Get the fert info and we might be able to diagnose it a little better...

EA Quinn
07-30-2008, 03:57 PM
It looks like dollar spot to me as well.

Frank Fescue
07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
its dollar spot. its everywhere in the northeast. try to grow it out w/ fert. failing that suggest a fungicide. aerate in the fall.

QuadRacer041
07-30-2008, 05:41 PM
lesions seem too big to be leaf spot...

Hmmm , not sure if I would bite the brown patch, I'de still say Dollar Spot..

Fertilizing history would help...

When was the last 3 treatments of fertilizer?

What fertilizer was used each time?

What form was the N in? Urea, Ammonium 'something', or 'something' Nitrate?

Was it time release fertilizer? Poly coated? Sulfur Coated? What percent was time release?

What rate was it applied each time?

Either way, have your lawn aerated. Check the thatch and if it is over 1/2" de-thatch it (be careful not to harm the active growing turf).

If you aren't, water in the morning, not evening. Figure how long it takes for the first inch of soil to dry out, then water. Water long enough so that 3 hours after watering you can dig down and the soil is moist 6" down. Then do not water more then that.

Bag the clippings until the disease is gone.

For treatment- You can try 123 NPP, it basically causes an enzyme that hydrolyzes (melts) fungi. Get it here... ICTorganics.com

Get the fert info and we might be able to diagnose it a little better...

beginning of may:
lesco 19-0-6 .1% dimension 30%ppscu
beginning of june:
lesco 24-0-11 50% 2%fe
beginning of july:
19-3-4 30%scu + merit .2

Mscotrid
07-30-2008, 06:02 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Spot

junior091273
07-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Dollar Spot for sure, Get yourself a good Fungicide. We use a Lesco Product called Manicure.

Real Green
07-31-2008, 12:10 AM
Dollar Spot for sure, Get yourself a good Fungicide. We use a Lesco Product called Manicure.

Manicure is not labeled for residential lawns. If you are going to suggest a fungicide for residential, you may consider Trinity or Armada...

Frank Fescue
07-31-2008, 12:25 AM
Manicure is not labeled for residential lawns. If you are going to suggest a fungicide for residential, you may consider Trinity or Armada...

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.. keep an eye to the forecast and see if temps favor dollar spot. recomend proper cultural practices, watering, mowing etc. educate your damn self on the fungus. most of the time you can clean it up with a fert, change in cultural practices and some follow ups. dont be quick to sell a fungucide. IPM and customer service go out the window when you do that. try selling someone a fungicide and dip into hot and humid weather and explain to them in 2 weeks why the product is no longer effective and get a "well why did i spend all that money on a fungicide?"

and again, def go with the aeration this fall.

QuadRacer041
07-31-2008, 05:26 AM

Just a little more info.....I own a Landscaping bussiness and this is my own lawn were I apply the pesticides myself.

I think I will try to grow it out with a Fert application.
Any recommendations on what to use????

Real Green
07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.. keep an eye to the forecast and see if temps favor dollar spot. recomend proper cultural practices, watering, mowing etc. educate your damn self on the fungus. most of the time you can clean it up with a fert, change in cultural practices and some follow ups. dont be quick to sell a fungucide. IPM and customer service go out the window when you do that. try selling someone a fungicide and dip into hot and humid weather and explain to them in 2 weeks why the product is no longer effective and get a "well why did i spend all that money on a fungicide?"

and again, def go with the aeration this fall.

Thanks for your two cents Frank! I know we can always can count on you. Take care!

JDUtah
07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
beginning of may:
lesco 19-0-6 .1% dimension 30%ppscu
beginning of june:
lesco 24-0-11 50% 2%fe
beginning of july:
19-3-4 30%scu + merit .2

Did you apply these at full application rates... 1# N per 1,000?

I don't know your local laws (#N / year), but I would hit it with a sulfur coated Urea at full application rate this week.

Other then that, follow what I said to do in post 4...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=2442782&postcount=4

Have it aerated now, the disease is not going to be around this fall.

Hughfinfan
08-03-2008, 01:15 AM
had a lawn with dollar spots, used product from lesco called PROPHESY 25 lbs covers10,000 sf it worked

QuadRacer041
08-03-2008, 07:15 AM
had a lawn with dollar spots, used product from lesco called PROPHESY 25 lbs covers10,000 sf it worked

thats what my lesco dealer suggested as well. how long before you started to see results?

Fert33
08-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Also JDL came out with Prophecy. It is basically Bayleton. It comes in 25lb bags instead of the old 40lb bags that Bayleton came in. The application rate is 2.5lbs/1000 for dollar spot. I think it has a 14 day interval. It's great if you are treating a lawn that has irrigation, or is small enough to get the product watered in.

Hughfinfan
08-05-2008, 09:47 PM
hey quadracer 041, i had it pretty good did 2nd appl around 14 days after 1st appl. it took about 3 cuts to disappear, also have inground irrigation system.

mngrassguy
08-05-2008, 10:00 PM
What time of day are you watering?

topsites
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah, just for once I'd have to say it probably isn't heat stress :p

Shades of Green LService
08-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Also JDL came out with Prophecy. It is basically Bayleton. It comes in 25lb bags instead of the old 40lb bags that Bayleton came in. The application rate is 2.5lbs/1000 for dollar spot. I think it has a 14 day interval. It's great if you are treating a lawn that has irrigation, or is small enough to get the product watered in.

Prophecy is not bayleton. It is Propiconizole. Bayleton is chlorophenoxy,butanone.

QuadRacer041
08-06-2008, 06:02 AM
I went with prophecy. Hopefully i'll start to see results soon.

I was watering at around 3am with an irragation system, around 30-40 minutes a zone depending on how much sunlight that zone got. I changed the start time to 6am now.

QuadRacer041
08-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, i'll keep you updated.

mngrassguy
08-06-2008, 08:32 PM
3 AM is fine. Measure each zone with a rain gage!!!

QuadRacer041
08-06-2008, 10:18 PM
3 AM is fine. Measure each zone with a rain gage!!!

where can i get one of those?

mngrassguy
08-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Just about anywhere. Use a cake pan or a tuna can. Time how long it takes to get 1/3" in each zone. Use that much time 3x/week.

tremor
08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
It's amazing how many people are still using chlorothalonil on residential turf.

turf hokie
08-07-2008, 08:54 PM
It's amazing how many people are still using chlorothalonil on residential turf.

Why Steve? NO residential label or is there something better that is more cost effective?

JWTurfguy
08-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Chlorothalonil has been off-limits to home lawns for several years now. That goes for all states, since it was EPA-mandated as such. So for those who are still using Manicure, Daconil, or whatever brand of chlorothalonil you have, on home lawns, be forewarned.

txgrassguy
08-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Chlorothalonil has been off-limits to home lawns for several years now. That goes for all states, since it was EPA-mandated as such. So for those who are still using Manicure, Daconil, or whatever brand of chlorothalonil you have, on home lawns, be forewarned.

Not exactly true me bucko.
Each state has different labeling and application regulations, and I, for one, know for damned sure that Chlorothalonil is labeled for residential use under the restrictive label for residential use here in Texas.

What has happened is the patent rights have expired and no company wants to go through the re-labeling process and all it entails.

And as a final note, Manicure is also labeled for residential use here in Texas. I know as I apply it occasionally and recently, with-in the last month, just purchase more.

Marcos
08-08-2008, 12:28 AM
I went with prophecy. Hopefully i'll start to see results soon.

I didn't see on this thread anything about your general lawn fertilizer schedule, types of fert the lawn gets, or even what specific specie(s) of grass you have...

But I CAN tell you that turf that is generally bombarded with 'quicker-release' nitrogen sources, such as urea, will often tend to fall into disease cycles such as what you're experiencing, particularly if they're over-applied by the applicator, or applied at points in time that doesn't make sense for the turf to respond to it...or even be able to store any of it readily.

Essentially, hyper-blasts of 'N' serves to make individual grass' cell walls thinner and thinner...to the point where they easily burst at even the slightest provocation, or often at NO provocation at all.

Over application of urea 46-0-0, or even the "standard" 1#/ 1000 rate/ round, has been directly attributable to higher incidences of brown patch and $$$ spot in many turf trails over the years here in the Midwest.

I can walk down any street here in S. Ohio in late summer, and just about pinpoint every yard that gets regularly abused by high-octane N!
Because, often, I see some of the trucks that pull up to them, and can discern the stuff they're using.
Compared to others nearby who use a more balanced slow-release N, or organic program...those lawns (generally) look like hell by now!

tremor
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Why Steve? NO residential label or is there something better that is more cost effective?

Daconil lost it's residential label a few years ago. That included all of the generic & private labeled versions of Chlorothalonil other than some low level consumer stuff for the DIY crowd.

There were some other "pre-packed conditions" that permitted some chlorothalonil to remain available.

Before buying or using ANY chlorothalonil for residential use I would get the label owners signed guarantee that the labeled use is still acceptable by the new federal mandates.

turf hokie
08-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Daconil lost it's residential label a few years ago. That included all of the generic & private labeled versions of Chlorothalonil other than some low level consumer stuff for the DIY crowd.

There were some other "pre-packed conditions" that permitted some chlorothalonil to remain available.

Before buying or using ANY chlorothalonil for residential use I would get the label owners signed guarantee that the labeled use is still acceptable by the new federal mandates.

Thank you. I looked at a label today and could not find any residential restrictions on it. I will look further into it.

greendoctor
08-09-2008, 04:11 AM
Daconil is still permitted on trees and shrubs in residential areas. However, I have yet to find a current label allowing it on home lawns. If you can find mancozeb with a residential lawn label you are doing good. Otherwise, all of the legal fungicides are highly prone to resistance induction in the target fungi because their action is single site.