PDA

View Full Version : I need a Edgit

Turf Dawg
07-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Does anybody know where I can buy a Egit in the N Texas area, or do I have to order one? I was hoping to have one for this weekend.

2stroke
07-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Fed-Ex baby!

jdramr4
07-30-2008, 07:46 PM
You will have to order it. And It's worth the wait. I don't even touch my edger any more.

ALC-GregH
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
You will have to order it. And It's worth the wait. I don't even touch my edger any more.

Same here. I only use my edger on edges over grown with sod at new accounts. Other then that, it Edgit all the time.

Barefoot James
07-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Go edgit - awesome tool. I got 30% of my current mowing business because of my edge lines. Lots of folks can cut with sharp blades or leave nice strips and we all cost about the same but now body can edge free hand as CONSISTANLTY as you can with and edgit.
The other thing is you can put the sheild between your edge line around a garden edge or flower area and the flower and scalp the ground and keep the flower safe. It is also much faster.

XB 2002
07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
How well do they work on a curved shaft trimmer ? I am a Homeowner and was thinking of buy a stick edger, but now I wonder if I could get by with the edgit on a Echo GT2400 Trimmer ?

Thanks,
XB 2002

ALC-GregH
07-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I haven't used one for a bent shaft trimmer. It uses a different style to create the same effect. The straight shaft Edgit works great.

Whitey4
07-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Unfortunately, last ime I checked, they still didn't have one for my Husky 335LS. I was bummed... might have bought another line trimmer if I had known, but I got a package deal on a bunch of Husky stuff... 36" hedge trimmer, power rake, etc.

ALC-GregH
07-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Did you compare the Husky to any other trimmers? Bolt pattern should be the only difference.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
07-30-2008, 09:59 PM
need pics ...............

thartz
07-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Turfdog ; You don't need an Edgit . You just need some experience and practice . You can go just as fast without one . It will take time . I was a stick edger user for years and after I learned to edge with a string trimmer with thick line I learned it is much faster .

BUCKEYE MOWING
07-30-2008, 10:56 PM
Does anybody know where I can buy a Egit in the N Texas area, or do I have to order one? I was hoping to have one for this weekend.

The EDGIT rocks....We traded in our stick edger due to non use .

nt1
07-30-2008, 11:32 PM
I've got a new one that was only used for 1 day.

Paid $70 for it, give me $40 and its yours.

Turf Dawg
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Turfdog ; You don't need an Edgit . You just need some experience and practice . You can go just as fast without one . It will take time . I was a stick edger user for years and after I learned to edge with a string trimmer with thick line I learned it is much faster .

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Man I think after 13 years I can run a trimmer. I just really wanted to try one of these for about a mile of chainlink fence that I have at a roofing mfg company. But thanks for the advice, I guess I will have to try harder.:confused:

Whitey4
07-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Did you compare the Husky to any other trimmers? Bolt pattern should be the only difference.

No, I didn't... I'm good at a lot of things, but I'm not mechanically inclined.... I can bust a knuckle by just looking at a wrnech.... I called them, and they told me they didn't have a compatable unit... and left it at that.... then I bought a stick edger.

stevensteve
07-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Since I got an Edgit I only use the stick edger for new accounts to bust through the sod. I have read a lot of negative post that you can edge just fine with a trimmer alone but the edgit really lays down a straight line for me.

thartz
07-31-2008, 12:11 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Man I think after 13 years I can run a trimmer. I just really wanted to try one of these for about a mile of chainlink fence that I have at a roofing mfg company. But thanks for the advice, I guess I will have to try harder.:confused:

C'mon bro . A chainlink fence ? You can handle that without a training wheel .:)

tb8100
07-31-2008, 12:59 AM
I just had to buy one of the new, shiny and orange Echo SRM 280S. Can you PM me a phone number?

Congrats! Keep us posted on how this trimmer works for you! It's kinda rare to see guys running the S-model trimmers. Why did you go with it over the T-series? I mean, the steel shaft is nice, but you could have had the Pro Torque gearbox!

bare spot
07-31-2008, 02:14 AM
Go edgit - awesome tool. I got 30% of my current mowing business because of my edge lines. Lots of folks can cut with sharp blades or leave nice strips and we all cost about the same but now body can edge free hand as CONSISTANLTY as you can with and edgit.
The other thing is you can put the sheild between your edge line around a garden edge or flower area and the flower and scalp the ground and keep the flower safe. It is also much faster.
sounds good, nothing like a good edge.

ALC-GregH
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
C'mon bro . A chainlink fence ? You can handle that without a training wheel .:)

Your so good, we should all bow down to the awesomeness spewing from all of your orifice's. :rolleyes:

MisfitBobletts
07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
i used to have an edgit for my curved shaft stihl...it was ok....easy to remove...just a wing nut then your back to trimming but they didnt last to long....i went and bought a straight shaft stihl just so i could use it with the edgit....i love it

Turf Dawg
07-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Congrats! Keep us posted on how this trimmer works for you! It's kinda rare to see guys running the S-model trimmers. Why did you go with it over the T-series? I mean, the steel shaft is nice, but you could have had the Pro Torque gearbox!

I had a 261T for about a month when they came out, but I did not like the slow head speed. I also do not like the vibration that the flex cables give when I throttle up. I guess it is one of the different strokes for different folks things. As for as the 280S goes, this is the smoothest trimmer I have run in awhile. I have Redmax, Stihl and Kaw trimmers and I like the new Echo better. It may not be as light as the Kaw, but the balance is great and my son uses the Kaw anyway. Heck, I guess I need to sell somemore trimmers.:drinkup:

naturescape
08-01-2008, 12:12 AM

You have never used an Edgit have you? I know you haven't. I've been in this business since 1981. Comparing a trimmer free handed vs. one with an Edgit is impossible. The Edgit is the only way to go. Try one, you won't believe the difference. Also, the Edgit will bear the weight of much of the trimmer -- that and the safety that comes with the Edgit are reason enough to use one. And an Edgit is WAY faster.

Barefoot James
08-01-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm sure Turf Dawg has never used an edgit or he would not give such poor advice. "All you have to do is practice" - what for 20 years, 6 months, a week??? How many edge lines do you need to let a newby screw up before they get the hang of it?? Why don't we teach everybody how to old the trim engine up by ourears so we all go deaf to make a clean edge line without an edger. With the Edgit you hold it NORMAL and you edge as fast as you can walk - simple period - newbys are pros in 5 mins not 6 months or years - Practice that sbad advice don't know unless you have some experience with one - "You" may be alright without but even "you " woul be BETTER with one and if you would tr one first - for even 5 mins you would see what the majic is all about.
Safer, better, faster - edgit

ALC-GregH
08-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Ones who think they can trim a straight edge haven't tried a Edgit and are living in the dark. :D

I might have to bring my video camera and show just how easy it is and how perfect the edge is when finished. You can get lucky and cut a straight edge with a trimmer alone but you can't do it every time perfect, with the Edgit, you can!
Never mind on the video, just go to their website and you'll see it there. :D

Turf Dawg
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm sure Turf Dawg has never used an edgit or he would not give such poor advice. "All you have to do is practice" - what for 20 years, 6 months, a week??? How many edge lines do you need to let a newby screw up before they get the hang of it?? Why don't we teach everybody how to old the trim engine up by ourears so we all go deaf to make a clean edge line without an edger. With the Edgit you hold it NORMAL and you edge as fast as you can walk - simple period - newbys are pros in 5 mins not 6 months or years - Practice that sbad advice don't know unless you have some experience with one - "You" may be alright without but even "you " woul be BETTER with one and if you would tr one first - for even 5 mins you would see what the majic is all about.
Safer, better, faster - edgit

What poor advice did I give? I am the one who said I would LIKE to try an edgit.:dizzy:

ALC-GregH
08-01-2008, 09:37 AM
What poor advice did I give? I am the one who said I would LIKE to try an edgit.:dizzy:

hahahaha, maybe he has the wrong guy. You should try it, I'm positive you'll like the results. The vacuum affect is nice. I use it when I can't mow between something and it trims like a mini mower. When your finished the edge, it will blow the clipping off as well.

XB 2002
08-01-2008, 09:43 AM
But do they work as well with curved shaft trimmer ? Anyone ??

ALC-GregH
08-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't think they work as good. They clamp onto the shaft and with that, I feel can move out of place and need adjusted if you bump it. The straight shaft Edgit bolts in place of the guard so no moving around.

George Mason
08-01-2008, 03:28 PM
So, with all this said...

I have a new account, a really nice property actually it's just that the homeowner has never edged before and they have a walk to the front door, a walk around to around back to the pool, and the largest pool patio I've ever seen at a home. This will all be new work, I ordered the edger attachment for my Stihl FS90 yesterday and then come to find out all this hype about the Edgit. I take it from the post I should keep the edger attachment as part of my plan and it will best used for new edging such as the big job I landed with the pool patio and then get the Edgit for existing work where the edge just need polishing. Correct?

Also, what is the life expectancy on the Edgit? I realized it is not actually doing the work but how sturdy are they build, predictions or experience on expectancy. Thanks, and enjoy the weekend.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-01-2008, 04:06 PM
just get a stick edger and some new blades ...............nicer job and faster .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .............................
i can edge with the stick edger at a slow jog....................................

Barefoot James
08-01-2008, 04:58 PM
It's thartz that is the free hand willy - so tharts is the culprit. I went back up the threads. Bottom line is anyone who says you don't need one has not cut a real edge line until they cut one with an edgit. - Sorry again TD.

naturescape
08-01-2008, 05:26 PM

I have a new account, a really nice property actually it's just that the homeowner has never edged before and they have a walk to the front door, a walk around to around back to the pool, and the largest pool patio I've ever seen at a home. This will all be new work, I ordered the edger attachment for my Stihl FS90 yesterday and then come to find out all this hype about the Edgit. I take it from the post I should keep the edger attachment as part of my plan and it will best used for new edging such as the big job I landed with the pool patio and then get the Edgit for existing work where the edge just need polishing. Correct?

Also, what is the life expectancy on the Edgit? I realized it is not actually doing the work but how sturdy are they build, predictions or experience on expectancy. Thanks, and enjoy the weekend.

You got it ALL right. Life expectancy depends on a lot of things, the soil type, how rough you are on it, etc. I get 2 - 3 seasons on each of mine. Not bad for about 70 bucks each!

Let us know how you like it. I highly suggest you "drag" the Edgit behind you, holding the trimmer left-handed when you're edging. I posted a pic a couple years ago about how this should be done.

naturescape
08-01-2008, 05:28 PM
just get a stick edger and some new blades ...............nicer job and faster .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... .............................
i can edge with the stick edger at a slow jog....................................

Here we go again. ANOTHER Edgit bash from someone who's never used one. You haven't, have you??

George Mason
08-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I am open to either, I am asking if I need both assuming that I will come across jobs that need first-time edging. Will the Edgit cut an edge where there is none? I know an edger will.

naturescape
08-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I am open to either, I am asking if I need both assuming that I will come across jobs that need first-time edging. Will the Edgit cut an edge where there is none? I know an edger will.

I have created an edge with the Edgit. But not where really overgrown stuff is concerned.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Here we go again. ANOTHER Edgit bash from someone who's never used one. You haven't, have you??

just dont see the point when they make edgers that work so good .........:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
never seen one in my part of ohio

naturescape
08-01-2008, 06:37 PM
just dont see the point when they make edgers that work so good .........:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

Oh, boy! <sighs>

Let's see.... The Edgit edges better in most cases than a stick edger, saves a trip to the truck and the time to start another piece of equipment, and TRIMS much better than a trimmer with a stock guard or no guard.

You'll just never get it unless you try one.

naturescape
08-01-2008, 06:39 PM

Oh, by the way.......... The manufacturers LOVE guys like you so that can sell all those extra pieces of equipment. Don't get me wrong, I have a stick edger and a Tanaka 600 wheeled edger as well. And all 3 have their place. But so many guys on here would do well to have a wheeled edger and an Edgit and not bother with a stick edger.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Oh, boy! <sighs>

Let's see.... The Edgit edges better in most cases than a stick edger, saves a trip to the truck and the time to start another piece of equipment, and TRIMS much better than a trimmer with a stock guard or no guard.

You'll just never get it unless you try one.

most sidewalks are next to the road , next to my trailer ........all that is needed is a weed eater and a stick edger , no little piece of plastic in my back pocket ...............no way can it turn a weed eater into a power edger in think over grown grass over the edge...............

naturescape
08-01-2008, 07:20 PM
most sidewalks are next to the road , next to my trailer ........all that is needed is a weed eater and a stick edger , no little piece of plastic in my back pocket ...............no way can it turn a weed eater into a power edger in think over grown grass over the edge...............

I didn't say it could. But it's great for regular maintenance. I always park right next to the job too, but it's nice to not have to start another piece of equipment. Also, I like the feel of the Edgit more, also I trim with it right-handed and edge with it left-handed, so it breaks up the monotony of working, and holding an edger than a trimmer with the same hand.

It's really worth giving one a try!

Barefoot James
08-01-2008, 08:08 PM
JAG the edgit will do ANYTHING better than a trimmer without - ANYTHING. In terms of edgeing even sod laying over the edge of a sidewalk - I have done it. Now it takes some time to get the edge line established in this case, but I have never spent more than 15 to 20 mins getting edgelines with it all around on a avg 5000 sq ft property and the next time we cut it takes a few mins to run it around. It is sort of stupid to argue with folks that use it. Find some place to try one or just buy it and you will not be sorry.

Put it this way if you have ever heard of Brickman (the biggest mowing outfit in the nation!!!) - well they buy thousands of edgits every year. Obviously they know something - and they hope you don't find out.

BTW I just got back an old customer who went with a lower priced LCO BUT because their edge lines sucked she came back and I charged her $5 more per cut to take her back - 30 mows a year X $5 extra bucks = $150 - all because of the edgit - I think I will get another and buy a half tank of gas with the rest - LOL.

naturescape
08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
JAG the edgit will do ANYTHING better than a trimmer without - ANYTHING. In terms of edgeing even sod laying over the edge of a sidewalk - I have done it. Now it takes some time to get the edge line established in this case, but I have never spent more than 15 to 20 mins getting edgelines with it all around on a avg 5000 sq ft property and the next time we cut it takes a few mins to run it around. It is sort of stupid to argue with folks that use it. Find some place to try one or just buy it and you will not be sorry.

Put it this way if you have ever heard of Brickman (the biggest mowing outfit in the nation!!!) - well they buy thousands of edgits every year. Obviously they know something - and they hope you don't find out.

BTW I just got back an old customer who went with a lower priced LCO BUT because their edge lines sucked she came back and I charged her $5 more per cut to take her back - 30 mows a year X $5 extra bucks = $150 - all because of the edgit - I think I will get another and buy a half tank of gas with the rest - LOL.

Like I said, I use 3 types of edgers depending on my mood and the conditions. BUT, and this should tell you something -- if I use the stick edger, then next time when i use the Edgit it takes a bit more work to get through -- I think that's proof the Edgit will lay down a nicer, DEFINATELY longer-lasting edge. Best lawn tool ever invented for a lousy 70 bucks! :rolleyes:

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-01-2008, 08:58 PM
i just cant belive it works so good thats all.......because with my stick edger I can do most of my yards in under minutes............

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
were do i find one ??

naturescape
08-01-2008, 09:30 PM
were do i find one ??

www.edgit.com

George Mason
08-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Wheeled edger, stick edger. Which of these two am I looking at were I to get the attachment for my Stihl FS90, the stick edger I assume? A wheeled edger must be like a motorized edger that's like a distant cousin to a tiller if that works - I know it's not a tiller but you know what I mean if you think about it.

Also, a point I'll make, and I am not siding with anyone yet, is that for someone in my situation I will not only have to make a trip to the trailer but I will have to change heads on my trimmer. If I have a job to get to afterwards, or realize I need the trimmer again on the job, I will have to change yet again be that job or the next day. I am thinking, if I get the attachment and establish edges at my clients properties with it I can then turn to the Edgit from that point on to maintain the edge. I think there is little doubt that it makes sense for someone like me, it is cheaper than buying a dedicated edger and it works by just about all accounts. If you already have an edger, then I suppose you are right in that it wouldn't make any sense to go buy one.

SDLandscapes VT
08-01-2008, 11:33 PM
The only thing I liked my edgit for was edging bunkers on a golf course.

I have a stihl FC 110 edger and and stihl FS 80 and I can free hand anything in a hurry. I alternate weeks--edge one week, weedeat the next.

I havent used my edgit in over 2 years....still in good shape

naturescape
08-01-2008, 11:38 PM
The only thing I liked my edgit for was edging bunkers on a golf course.

I have a stihl FC 110 edger and and stihl FS 80 and I can free hand anything in a hurry. I alternate weeks--edge one week, weedeat the next.

I havent used my edgit in over 2 years....still in good shape

What didn't you like about it?

ALC-GregH
08-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Wheeled edger, stick edger. Which of these two am I looking at were I to get the attachment for my Stihl FS90, the stick edger I assume? A wheeled edger must be like a motorized edger that's like a distant cousin to a tiller if that works - I know it's not a tiller but you know what I mean if you think about it.

Also, a point I'll make, and I am not siding with anyone yet, is that for someone in my situation I will not only have to make a trip to the trailer but I will have to change heads on my trimmer. If I have a job to get to afterwards, or realize I need the trimmer again on the job, I will have to change yet again be that job or the next day. I am thinking, if I get the attachment and establish edges at my clients properties with it I can then turn to the Edgit from that point on to maintain the edge. I think there is little doubt that it makes sense for someone like me, it is cheaper than buying a dedicated edger and it works by just about all accounts. If you already have an edger, then I suppose you are right in that it wouldn't make any sense to go buy one.

Get a attachable stick edger ( I have the Echo PAS 265) that way you'll have the option to get other attachments that might be helpful later on down the road, then get a straight stick line trimmer and a Edgit. You will not need anything else to cut or maintain a perfect edge.
All this typing has made me alittle tired. I'll post a before cut and after cut of a edge I did later today when I get out of bed. :sleeping:

MJB
08-02-2008, 01:18 AM
I've been using Edgits for 12 or more yrs and won't ever go without one again.
These things are great for training new guys , they are like training wheels on an edger. Everyone uses them in different ways. I switch around. I walk forward flattrimming some areas then flip it on edge and drag it backwards with one hand, relaxing the other running it at 1/2 throttle. Sometimes I go forward , it takes a while to get use to it but once you do you'll keep it. Use the stick edger for tyhe first time each yr if your edges are overgrown. I even bought one on a Echo for my wife and after 10 yrs of her trying to trim and giving up she can edge or flat trim now no problem. In fact when we work together she does about 40% of the trimming I use to do it all and it killed my back. So that says a lot about using it to teach someone to edge on the 1st day and not look like a rookie.

Barefoot James
08-02-2008, 09:55 AM
George - you don't take it off - it stays on and youdo everything with it on. Bunkers only??? I cut an industrial ditch every two weeks with trimmer/edgit only - as it is too steep for my mowers so we have to use the echos. Anyway the disk acts as a sheild too so the muck does not fly up in your face (ie crawdad tunnels and their castings on top) this stuff is dangerous and the sheild stops it from flying - so once you put it on it does not need to come off. If you want free line - hang a few inches out past the disk and it is the same as not having a disk on.

naturescape
08-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I've been using Edgits for 12 or more yrs and won't ever go without one again.
These things are great for training new guys , they are like training wheels on an edger.

That's how Edgit used to do their advertising - "a training wheel for trimmers". I pointed out to him that guys HATE being told they are using something like a "training wheel" and that unlike a training wheel, the Edgit never comes off. After I pointed this out to him, he must have agreed, because after several years of advertising the Edgit that way, he no longer does!

MJB
08-02-2008, 01:58 PM
That's how Edgit used to do their advertising - "a training wheel for trimmers". I pointed out to him that guys HATE being told they are using something like a "training wheel" and that unlike a training wheel, the Edgit never comes off. After I pointed this out to him, he must have agreed, because after several years of advertising the Edgit that way, he no longer does!

So just don't tell your guys it's a training wheel....I have never run into that I tell them this makes your job easier, more efficient, and to take care of it. For a large operation they probably would get broke by employees trashing stuff when the boss isn't looking, but for small operations this is a great tool.
I never knew about the advertising the training wheel. I just bought my 1st one when they came out yrs ago and I just call the number on the disk when I need more.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-02-2008, 05:00 PM

From my experience....you can create a new edge witht he edgit but its slow going....new edges I prefer the blade then do a weekly/semi weekly with the edgit....Also they are rather sturdy...mine is 4-5 years old and doing ok...just my 2 cents worth

wayne