PDA

View Full Version : rusty well

greenmonster304
07-30-2008, 07:58 PM
I got a call about a month ago about a zone being stuck on. so i went out to the house and found that there was rust flakes on the diaphragm, so i cleaned the valves and installed a filter.

then today i get another call from the woman about the zone being stuck on again. This time when i opened the valve there wasnt flakes but tiny dust sized particles caked on the diaphragm which after i cleaned them i saw depression in the rubber from the cakes of rust.

aside from having a new well with a pvc casing installed what would you suggest?

Wet_Boots
07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
What kind of filter is letting more crud into the valves?

bicmudpuppy
07-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I would be VERY surprised if your line trash was coming from your casing rusting. The debris is probably already in the water, but that isn't the issue. More info...........

Boot's asked about what type of filter you have installed, I also want to know what kind of valves we have that are fouling. Good filtration and dirty water valves will fix most problems like this.

Mike Leary
07-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Run the hell out of the zones, try to clean the crappy water out and get back, Loretta, to clean water.

Wet_Boots
07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
I've followed the valve mfr advice on straining, which has me using 100 mesh for Irritrol valves.

greenmonster304
07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
this is the kind of filter (Vu Flow 100) but it is a pic i found online. the valves are 2400t's. I think it is from the well casing because it is very rare to have iron or anything else in the water around here.

AI Inc
07-31-2008, 06:13 AM
I do a real lot of systems off of wells and have yet to see rust from casing.What type of controller? Is it possible to set a delay between zones?
Also Ive never considered a 2400t to be a dirt tollerant valve, others will disagree.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-31-2008, 06:18 AM
try rainbird scrubber valves.

great for dirty water applications.

greenmonster304
07-31-2008, 07:03 AM
I do a real lot of systems off of wells and have yet to see rust from casing.What type of controller? Is it possible to set a delay between zones?
Also Ive never considered a 2400t to be a dirt tollerant valve, others will disagree.

the controller is a proc. why the delay? i spoke to the well guy that i work with somtimes and he said it is not uncommon for rust from the casing to flake off he even cleans the casings. but he didnt know what to say about the tiny "dust" particles of rust that are passing through the filter.

AI Inc
07-31-2008, 07:21 AM
You will get more sediment as the water level gets lower, the delay prevents this from happening. If you can give it a 15 min or so delay and still stay in the prefered watering window, this may help.
To set a delay on a pro c , push and hold - button while turning dial to set station run times , your delay setting will appear.

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 08:03 AM
The 100 mesh strainer can still pass fine silt, but that won't bother the Irritrol valves. If you are picking up brighter orange rust glop in the strainer, that could be an indication of low water level in the well.