PDA

View Full Version : skid steer attachment for boulder work

westcoh
07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows of a specific attachment that would work well for handling boulders? I have access to some large fields around here with a lot of boulders that are mine for the taking, all I need to do is dig them out. They range in size from a couple hundred pounds to a couple thousand pounds. I've dug a bunch out using a plain tooth bucket but it hardly seems like the most efficient way and can be hard on the machine if I'm not real careful.

RockSet N' Grade
07-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Surface boulders - a set of forks works just dandy. Buried boulders - some type of excavator to get them to the surface. Any other way (except explosives) is like a dog chasing its tail.

bobcat_ron
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Yup, forks or a rake grapple, but the big rocks will need bigger toys. I know that dude with the Quick Spade gizmo will chime in on this one.

RockSet N' Grade
07-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Quickest "quick spade" I know of when it comes to buried rock is a tracks-'cavator....

YellowDogSVC
07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
I use an industrial grapple, forks, and the blue diamond stump bucket to pry them up. Have also used a "dillo" that was reinforced with 1/4" plate to make it strong enough for a big skid. Used a 12" WB bucket on it and if the boulder was less than 5' across, you could get good leverage. Made the Bobcat versatile and I could haul 3 of these attachments at a time.