PDA

View Full Version : Quick 44 Samurai review

DCE
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
For the past week I've been trying out the Better Outdoor Products' Quick 44 Samurai. Got to try it out on several lawns with varying landscape features they exposed different facets of the mower that were not quite evident to me prior to putting one through its paces. The Quick 44 maneuvers very easily. However, due to the increased weight over a Quick 36, maneuvers have to be a bit more calculated than piloting a Q36. A friend of mine is in the market for a new mower for his new house with a bigger yard than he previously had here in town. I had him meet me over at "Quick central" where I introduced him to Gary and Tommy and he got to see the Quicks 36 and 44 up close. He was very impressed with the company and the quality of manufacture and ease of operation of the mowers, and definitely is sold on one, but at the time he wasn't sure if a 36 or 44 would suit his needs. So, I took the 44 over to his house last weekend and we both took turns mowing his yard...a bit over 1/2 acre corner lot. I mowed his front yard, which included several flower beds and trees to mow around, including a few tight spots. I turned it over to him to mow his back yard, which had one big flowerbed and his utility building. After he finished up, we both talked about what we thought. We both agreed, that a Q36 without the Step Saver sulky is the way to go. The 44 was a bit too much in the tight spaces, and having to muscle it around the trees and flowerbeds. I know...this is where the Dually comes into play but I think even a Dually 36 is a bit too much price wise that he's willing to spend on a mower. The 44 also had the mulch kit in place, and even in the dry conditions here right now, the 44 Samurai striped up his yard beautifully. My friend was comfortable after a few minutes...the mower is very easy to operate even for a novice like him.

A couple days later I mowed for a good friend of mine who is currently battling [and winning] cancer. His yard is about 1 acre. One small tree in the front, one big tree in the back and that's it. Mainly, straight line mowing. It's been two weeks since I last cut his yard and even with the afternoon thundershowers we've been having periodically, there was quite a bit of growth. The grass was still wet from the morning dew and I wanted to see how far I could push it with mulching until the deck loads up or it starts clumping or windrowing. The 16HP Kawasaki KAI engine has plenty of power, it mulched the wet grass no problem. No windrowing. No clumping. Just a beautiful, even appearance. And it laid down some very nice stripes too. Both the Quicks 36 and 44 are just striping machines, producing beautiful results in no time. Wish I had my camera that day but I didn't. But you guys who own a Quick will easily attest to this!

Overall, the quality of manufacturing of the Quick 44 is excellent. Clean welds, tight fit and finish all around. The fingertip control of speed and direction is very handy, you just think about what you want the mower to do and it does it. And the Samurai with its Kawasaki KAI twin cylinder engine, has plenty of power to spare for mulching and pulling you around on the Step Saver [though, I didn't get the SS with it...would have liked to so I could compare how it handles compared with the Q36 with a SS]. The Quick 44 produces beautiful results in the end. Now that I've seen for myself what the Quick single drives can do, next up is putting a Dually through its paces. I can't wait...I think the Dually 36 is going to be THE ticket for gated backyards with a lot of landscape features.

Here are some pics of the Quick 44 Samurai:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/knifenut_73/Better%20Outdoor%20Products%20Quick%2044%20Samurai/th_IMG_1204.jpg (http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/knifenut_73/Better%20Outdoor%20Products%20Quick%2044%20Samurai/IMG_1204.jpg)
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/knifenut_73/Better%20Outdoor%20Products%20Quick%2044%20Samurai/th_IMG_1206.jpg (http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/knifenut_73/Better%20Outdoor%20Products%20Quick%2044%20Samurai/IMG_1206.jpg)
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/knifenut_73/Better%20Outdoor%20Products%20Quick%2044%20Samurai/th_IMG_1207.jpg (http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/knifenut_73/Better%20Outdoor%20Products%20Quick%2044%20Samurai/IMG_1207.jpg)
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/knifenut_73/Better%20Outdoor%20Products%20Quick%2044%20Samurai/th_IMG_1211.jpg (http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/knifenut_73/Better%20Outdoor%20Products%20Quick%2044%20Samurai/IMG_1211.jpg)

jameson
07-30-2008, 08:39 PM
After a year of use, my crew has found the 44" Sammy single-hydro just too tiring for most applications. And I remember remarking, considering the small footprint and BOP quality of cut, that the 44" Sam would be a sure-fire winner if it only came outfitted in a dual-hydro. . .

Voila!

robertsturf
07-30-2008, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=DCE;2443278]For the past week I've been trying out the Better Outdoor Products' Quick 44 Samurai. Got to try it out on several lawns with varying landscape features they exposed different facets of the mower that were not quite evident to me prior to putting one through its paces. The Quick 44 maneuvers very easily. However, due to the increased weight over a Quick 36, maneuvers have to be a bit more calculated than piloting a Q36. A friend of mine is in the market for a new mower for his new house with a bigger yard than he previously had here in town. I had him meet me over at "Quick central" where I introduced him to Gary and Tommy and he got to see the Quicks 36 and 44 up close. He was very impressed with the company and the quality of manufacture and ease of operation of the mowers, and definitely is sold on one, but at the time he wasn't sure if a 36 or 44 would suit his needs. So, I took the 44 over to his house last weekend and we both took turns mowing his yard...a bit over 1/2 acre corner lot. I mowed his front yard, which included several flower beds and trees to mow around, including a few tight spots. I turned it over to him to mow his back yard, which had one big flowerbed and his utility building. After he finished up, we both talked about what we thought. We both agreed, that a Q36 without the Step Saver sulky is the way to go. The 44 was a bit too much in the tight spaces, and having to muscle it around the trees and flowerbeds. I know...this is where the Dually comes into play but I think even a Dually 36 is a bit too much price wise that he's willing to spend on a mower. The 44 also had the mulch kit in place, and even in the dry conditions here right now, the 44 Samurai striped up his yard beautifully. My friend was comfortable after a few minutes...the mower is very easy to operate even for a novice like him.

A couple days later I mowed for a good friend of mine who is currently battling [and winning] cancer. His yard is about 1 acre. One small tree in the front, one big tree in the back and that's it. Mainly, straight line mowing. It's been two weeks since I last cut his yard and even with the afternoon thundershowers we've been having periodically, there was quite a bit of growth. The grass was still wet from the morning dew and I wanted to see how far I could push it with mulching until the deck loads up or it starts clumping or windrowing. The 16HP Kawasaki KAI engine has plenty of power, it mulched the wet grass no problem. No windrowing. No clumping. Just a beautiful, even appearance. And it laid down some very nice stripes too. Both the Quicks 36 and 44 are just striping machines, producing beautiful results in no time. Wish I had my camera that day but I didn't. But you guys who own a Quick will easily attest to this!

Overall, the quality of manufacturing of the Quick 44 is excellent. Clean welds, tight fit and finish all around. The fingertip control of speed and direction is very handy, you just think about what you want the mower to do and it does it. And the Samurai with its Kawasaki KAI twin cylinder engine, has plenty of power to spare for mulching and pulling you around on the Step Saver [though, I didn't get the SS with it...would have liked to so I could compare how it handles compared with the Q36 with a SS]. The Quick 44 produces beautiful results in the end. Now that I've seen for myself what the Quick single drives can do, next up is putting a Dually through its paces. I can't wait...I think the Dually 36 is going to be THE ticket for gated backyards with a lot of landscape features.

I was noticing that you have visted a lot of mower manufacturer's. Is that what you do for a living? Or do you have a crew that does your work for you? Not a critism just an observation. :dancing:

DCE
07-30-2008, 08:57 PM
I was noticing that you have visted a lot of mower manufacturer's. Is that what you do for a living? Or do you have a crew that does your work for you? Not a critism just an observation. :dancing:

Not taken as such, amigo. I'm actually working for all you guys on here :) I'm a freelance writer, contributing for Turf. This is me: http://www.turfmagazine.com/search.php?word=dexter+ewing

And if you guys are into knives...be sure to check out BLADE Magazine. I serve as one of their Field Editors specializing in trends in the production knife industry.

All this aside from holding down a full time job in an unrelated field to either of these. I'm having fun, at least. Cutting stuff up and writing about it :laugh:

It just helps that I'm about 15 mins away from Better. I know all the guys over there...GREAT bunch of folks who are hell-bent on putting out a great product and standing behind that product.

robertsturf
07-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks, I love the magazine you write for. One of the many I receive on a monthly basis. My wife hates that they are all over the place, bathroom etc,... They are an exellent source of information. The biggest problem I see with our industry is not enough professionalism!!! Too many mower jockey's and not enough turf managers. Too many mow-blow and go companies and too many part-timers that don't do it right!!

stevensteve
07-31-2008, 12:14 AM
We all have to start somewhere.