PDA

View Full Version : Question

Shawn Perkins
07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Hey guys (I am new So be nice)
I had a job today and the ground -Common wire shocked the hell out of
me even with the timer unpluged??????????????
Also 6 zone system 1 2 3 work fine... 4 5 6 can open by hand only found them all with a 521.
Is the common wire between zone 3 and 4 bad?
At the timer all 6 zones are getting 26

Thanks
Shawn

Mike Leary
07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Hey guys (I am new So be nice)

One word, FIMCO.

Shawn Perkins
07-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Tx0016599.

EagleLandscape
07-30-2008, 10:21 PM
stored power in the transformer maybe? was the 521/pulsar plugged in and onto common when you touched the wire?

Mike Leary
07-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Tx0016599.

Is George Lucas a sprinkler guy?

hoskm01
07-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I assume thats your lic #?

irrig8r
07-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Is George Lucas a sprinkler guy?

That was funny....

but that would be THX 1138.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7826/bscap0060ie2.jpg

Shawn Perkins
07-31-2008, 12:20 AM
No to be a A## but any real help out there??

Thanks!

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 01:54 AM
No to be a A## but any real help out there??

You've come to the wrong place for that :)

Kiril
07-31-2008, 02:19 AM
Did you take a voltage reading on the common?

irrig8r
07-31-2008, 02:29 AM
Did you take a voltage reading on the common?

That would be a good place to start.

Shawn Perkins
07-31-2008, 02:35 AM
Dana Mac thanks for all your help ~! I hope you never really need something
important fast!I guess you know it all i am sorry i am just starting out and do not know everything :best wishes!!!!

Shawn Perkins
07-31-2008, 02:38 AM
All voltage readings at the timer look good!IS there a way to isolate the common on a test? Thanks for your time!!!!

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-31-2008, 06:12 AM
All voltage readings at the timer look good!IS there a way to isolate the common on a test? Thanks for your time!!!!

Hang in there Shawn. Have to fight through some pretty :hammerhead: stuff to learn here but it does happen. Did you figure out why the common shocked you? If you disconnect the common from the controller and still get shocked I'd be a little concerned. What equipment do you have available to help you out? I'm assuming a 521 and voltmeter.

bblawncare
07-31-2008, 07:10 AM
Hang in there Shawn. Have to fight through some pretty :hammerhead: stuff to learn here but it does happen. Did you figure out why the common shocked you? If you disconnect the common from the controller and still get shocked I'd be a little concerned. What equipment do you have available to help you out? I'm assuming a 521 and voltmeter.

You are my favorite "Lawn Siter", Peter...:clapping:

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-31-2008, 07:16 AM
was it a toro vision clock?

are they all remote boxes?
What is the resistance readings from all valves?
do you get an open line from 4 5 6?

What type of valves are in the ground?
worst case run a wire above ground and see if the same thing happens...

report back with pictures please..

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Oooh, Fimco has a fan club! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/246.gif

Voltage readings can give an incomplete picture. Better to check wiring resistance. Best is operating current.

And a tip of the shrubbler to Rotar, since some metal-case Vision controllers have an electrical problem.

AI Inc
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Oooh, Fimco has a fan club! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/love/246.gif

Voltage readings can give an incomplete picture. Better to check wiring resistance. Best is operating current.

And a tip of the shrubbler to Rotar, since some metal-case Vision controllers have an electrical problem.

Yep , as in sending juice when the clock is in the off position. Even seen it with plastic int visions.

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Dana Mac thanks for all your help ~! I hope you never really need something
important fast!I guess you know it all i am sorry i am just starting out and do not know everything :best wishes!!!!

Dud you need to chill out. if you read here often enough, you would know we don't always get to the answer right away, banter back and forth, joke with each other, and even poke fun at each other. Good luck but no, I probably won't give you any advice now. Nor will I ask any from you.

Did you not get the point of the little smiley face in my first post? it means I was kidding or giving a little sarcasm.

Shawn Perkins
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
THe timer is a emperial(Spell) old and needs to be replaces but the home owner loves it
The voltage all lookes good at the clock so the wires must be bad in the field.
if i can fix this one i can do 4 more on the street but it is not looking good :)

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 09:52 AM
If you are dealing with a system with both Imperial valves and an Imperial controller, you are more or less stuck with the controller. Just for grins, check for a voltage between the common and earth ground. Check resistance readings for all zones. If they are all close to each other, then the field wiring is probably fine. Swap zone wires from bad zone to good.

There are problems that will not show themselves with voltage measurements.

Shawn Perkins
07-31-2008, 09:54 AM
Sorry dana Mac there is a time to play and a time to work if you dont want to help that is ok but if you are ever here in Texas and need something please feel free to look me up i help everyone i can.

The others on this board have been a great help!!!!!

Good Luck*trucewhiteflag*

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
One does not command the internet, Shawn. :nono: The internet does not care. There are aspects to old Imperial clocks that require an observant eye, and patience.

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Sorry dana Mac there is a time to play and a time to work

yeah, and your original post shows 7:07 pm MY time. That is play time my good man. Why so serious?

*trucewhiteflag*

punt66
07-31-2008, 10:24 AM
yeah, and your original post shows 7:07 pm MY time. That is play time my good man. Why so serious?

*trucewhiteflag*

Probably because its now in the morning and has to get to work on it. I have found many of the same issues on this site. I have made a post and havent recieved 1 response to a question. haha

irrig8r
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
It might have something to do with those long sig paragraphs with the laundry lists of all the equipment you own... it just brings out the "need to tease" in me...besides taking up space, it just makes you mow guys sound too serious...

Not "you" personally of course, but all the guys with the same long lists...

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Probably because its now in the morning and has to get to work on it. I have found many of the same issues on this site. I have made a post and havent recieved 1 response to a question. haha

OK quick soap box rant and then I'll leave it alone.

I don't like giving away free advice to people that may not know what they are doing. You may, you may not. I don't know. I do like to converse with others here that have proven they do know what they are doing and like to talk about irrigation. But when we get an occasional "I do this one the side.... how do I do..." then no I don't like to give advice. I've worked long and hard to get the knowledge I have and don't want to generously pass it along for free. I am also bad at explaining how to do something. I have to SHOW someone how to do it.

I do enjoy talking about these things with others in the industry that have taken the years, classes, and lumps on the job to get to the same point. I do like to banter back and forth with Leary, and Capt, and Fimco, and TomTom and all the others. But it's taken time to get to know these good guys.

:: steps down gingerly, takes a bow ::

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 10:59 AM
::applause::

Waterit
07-31-2008, 10:59 AM

I don't like giving away free advice to people that may not know what they are doing. You may, you may not. I don't know. I do like to converse with others here that have proven they do know what they are doing and like to talk about irrigation. But when we get an occasional "I do this one the side.... how do I do..." then no I don't like to give advice. I've worked long and hard to get the knowledge I have and don't want to generously pass it along for free. I am also bad at explaining how to do something. I have to SHOW someone how to do it.

I do enjoy talking about these things with others in the industry that have taken the years, classes, and lumps on the job to get to the same point. I do like to banter back and forth with Leary, and Capt, and Fimco, and TomTom and all the others. But it's taken time to get to know these good guys.

Nice rant, Dana. Hope to someday be included on that list!:)

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Nice rant, Dana. Hope to someday be included on that list!:)

You're on it. Couldn't list everybody though.

I don't TRY to be an a**. it just comes out that way though. :)

punt66
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM

Oh, its the high and mighty thread! these are great! Many of the lighting guys are the same way. I share all i know to whoever asks. Very few of us are in the same markets anyhow. I dont know much about irrigation and thats why i sub it out. I owned a construction company for 11 years. We pulled out over 1100 underground fuel tanks a year. Installed over 15 miles of sewer main and numerous hook ups. I ran 4 crews. 2 tri axles, 2 single axles, 3 tag trailers, 3 shovels, 1 dozer, 2 backhoes, 3 skids, 2 npr's etc etc. I had to stop when i was diagnosed with brain cancer at age 32. The doc told me to retire to disability. No Way! I started mowing lawns. I now do installs as well and make my own hours. Dont ever think you know people and where they come from. It really makes you look arrogant. As far as the equipment list goes. Some of us make lists as a way for eachother to see what were running and give that oppertunity to ask another about his equipment before purchasing the same. So i thought it was a good idea at the time and still do. To each his own. Judging people is not a good practice.

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Who judges? We just have good-natured fun, and refuse to take things seriously. Like Pogo Possum said about life, it ain't nohow permanent.

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
punt66 - I will admit, I am a very judgmental person. No doubt about it. I can also be sarcastic, non patient, cynical, arrogant, emotional, funny, and every other kind of adjective you can think of. It is what it is. I/we are not saying you or anyone else is a bad PERSON. But I WILL NOT just give advice and education freely to anybody. You can and that's your right. You can interpret it as "high and mighty" if you please. I don't expect you to tell me how to mow a lawn if I just wander into your mowing threads and ask.

We pulled out over 1100 underground fuel tanks a year. Installed over 15 miles of sewer main and numerous hook ups. I ran 4 crews. 2 tri axles, 2 single axles, 3 tag trailers, 3 shovels, 1 dozer, 2 backhoes, 3 skids, 2 npr's etc etc.

Now who's the arrogant one trying to flaunt his experience and skills?

punt66
07-31-2008, 11:38 AM
punt66 - I will admit, I am a very judgmental person. No doubt about it. I can also be sarcastic, non patient, cynical, arrogant, emotional, funny, and every other kind of adjective you can think of. It is what it is. I/we are not saying you or anyone else is a bad PERSON. But I WILL NOT just give advice and education freely to anybody. You can and that's your right. You can interpret it as "high and mighty" if you please. I don't expect you to tell me how to mow a lawn if I just wander into your mowing threads and ask.

We pulled out over 1100 underground fuel tanks a year. Installed over 15 miles of sewer main and numerous hook ups. I ran 4 crews. 2 tri axles, 2 single axles, 3 tag trailers, 3 shovels, 1 dozer, 2 backhoes, 3 skids, 2 npr's etc etc.

Now who's the arrogant one trying to flaunt his experience and skills?

No im proud of my experience and skills. And proud to share my knowledge with who ever asks. If you didnt want to help the guy why are you in HIS thread? Not being arrogant and asking many questions is exactly what led me to success. I am a student of life. I ask many questions and never assume i know it all unlike many here.

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
I ask many questions and never assume i know it all unlike many here.

I never said I know everything. Far from it. Many in the irrigation forum have more knowledge in their little finger than I have in my entire head. And I do ask many questions. But I do not just ask anybody, and people I hardly know, and people who do not know my credentials.

We have every right to disagree. I'm not trying to offend you or Shawn, just telling you my opinions.

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
What was the question?

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 11:45 AM
What was the question?

And you are? :)

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 11:48 AM
And you are? :)

Want me to list all the crap I have?

Kiril
07-31-2008, 11:48 AM
::applause::

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105500&d=1207538135

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Want me to list all the crap I have?

Could you? Would you? No, I would feel shame with all you have.

Kiril
07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Who judges? We just have good-natured fun, and refuse to take things seriously. Like Pogo Possum said about life, it ain't nohow permanent.

Yea, and screw you too faded necktie geezer :laugh:

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 11:56 AM
I have to go replace a solenoid, 50-50 chance the mods will delete this thread before
I get back.

punt66
07-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I never said I know everything. Far from it. Many in the irrigation forum have more knowledge in their little finger than I have in my entire head. And I do ask many questions. But I do not just ask anybody, and people I hardly know, and people who do not know my credentials.

We have every right to disagree. I'm not trying to offend you or Shawn, just telling you my opinions.

I am not offended. Takes alot more than that to offend me. However i see this entire site as a forum of sharing ideas and experiences. A guy opens a thread to ask a legit question and gets taunted. If you dont want to answer a question he asked then maybe its a good idea to just not say anything? Kind of like the old saying, "if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all". Its ok for us to disagree and i appreciate you using clean language and adult conversation, because many on here by now would be swearing away haha. Well i guess i need to go do some cutting. Have a good day.

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
I have to go replace a solenoid, 50-50 chance the mods will delete this thread before
I get back.

There has been no childish name calling and chest pounding and swearing. Don't know why an opinion related discussion should be deleted.

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Someone inferring taunting does not equal taunting. And it is a valid point, about getting back something commensurate with what you bring. If you bring zero comprehension to a task, it might be time to bail. In any event, one is always capable of ignoring posts (like Magnet Boy's :)) and moving on to the next.

Michael J. Donovan
07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
well, if you can get back on topic then the thread will be fine :rolleyes:

Dirty Water
07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105500&d=1207538135

Citizen Kain applauds your animation.

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
well, if you can get back on topic then the thread will be fine :rolleyes:Aye-aye, mon capitaine! Who's steering this thing anyway?
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5857/peterpeachfuzzky8.jpg

Kiril
07-31-2008, 01:15 PM
well, if you can get back on topic then the thread will be fine :rolleyes:

On topic ..... Boots, did you hear that? Time for you to retire. :waving:

Waterit
07-31-2008, 01:16 PM
5 pages of posts and what have we learned?:laugh:

AI Inc
07-31-2008, 01:18 PM

Dana,s vaca wasnt long enough?

Kiril
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM

That Boots is the King of topic derailers. :drinkup:

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Dana,s vaca wasnt long enough?

True. So true......

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 04:05 PM

That Mike Donovan spends most of his time on our threads?

bicmudpuppy
07-31-2008, 06:29 PM
You're on it. Couldn't list everybody though.

I don't TRY to be an a**. it just comes out that way though. :)

It is Effin' AUGUST. We are IRRITATORS. If your so thin skinned you can't take the banter on this site, then take some REAL advice and find a climate controlled profession. Rant on Dana. Share the stories, help when you feel like it. I don't care if your an MIT dual PHD, you can't learn it in a day. In fact, my bets are against any of those types lasting a real day. The patience and steadfastness (or bull headed stubbornness) it takes to survive chasing wires and dealing with people who *know* they are smarter/better than you all day long doesn't come across in a PM post that screams why didn't somebody answer my question with omnipotence in less than 5 minutes.

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 06:37 PM
If your so thin skinned you can't take the banter on this site, then take some REAL advice and find a climate controlled profession. The patience and steadfastness (or bull headed stubbornness) it takes to survive chasing wires and dealing with people who *know* they are smarter/better than you all day long doesn't come across in a PM post that screams why didn't somebody answer my question with omnipotence in less than 5 minutes.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

bicmudpuppy
07-31-2008, 06:38 PM
No im proud of my experience and skills. And proud to share my knowledge with who ever asks. If you didnt want to help the guy why are you in HIS thread? Not being arrogant and asking many questions is exactly what led me to success. I am a student of life. I ask many questions and never assume i know it all unlike many here.

HIS thread??? You spend enough time here, you can join the party as part of the forum. Nobody owns a thread and this is a virtual place. For all I know, you might be an expert in Stagnant Pressure, and lots of us have been through that before :) :) :):hammerhead::drinkup:

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey, what's the big deal?

punt66
07-31-2008, 07:01 PM
HIS thread??? You spend enough time here, you can join the party as part of the forum. Nobody owns a thread and this is a virtual place. For all I know, you might be an expert in Stagnant Pressure, and lots of us have been through that before :) :) :):hammerhead::drinkup:

Sorry Shawn i tried hHAHA. But the best of lawnsite has come out of the woodwork.

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Sorry Shawn i tried hHAHA. But the best of lawnsite has come out of the woodwork.

If you guys would dump the d.s. lists of your crap, you might get some
interest about the questions.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

punt66
07-31-2008, 07:17 PM
If you guys would dump the d.s. lists of your crap, you might get some
interest about the questions.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

you can also turn it off. :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

punt66
07-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Now you respect me.

punt66
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
now you dont.

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 07:23 PM
HIS thread??? You spend enough time here, you can join the party as part of the forum. Nobody owns a thread and this is a virtual place. For all I know, you might be an expert in Stagnant Pressure, and lots of us have been through that before :) :) :):hammerhead::drinkup:Oh no, you said it!!!

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5935/stagnantpressure1lx1.jpg

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-31-2008, 07:24 PM
hey punt-cut out that sig plz..

thanks in advance.

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 07:31 PM
hey punt-cut out that sig plz..

thanks in advance.

Shall we all cut our sigs?, once ROTAR goes, I'll follow.

Rotor_Tool
07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Shall we all cut our sigs?, once ROTAR goes, I'll follow.

I would like to see Leary's sig include all of the electrical gadgets he has come into contact with or owned over the years....or how many campgrounds that silver twinkie of his has visited.

Rotor_Tool
07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Back to the original question...where were you when you got shocked by the common wire, in the field or at the controller? It was also never answered if the 521 was hooked up and energized when you got zapped.

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Back to the original question...where were you when you got shocked by the common wire, in the field or at the controller? It was also never answered if the 521 was hooked up and energized when you got zapped.

521s can put it to you, love those lantern batteries.

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 08:06 PM
I would like to see Leary's sig include all of the electrical gadgets he has come into contact with or owned over the years....or how many campgrounds that silver twinkie of his has visited.

I'm considering a 35mm/120 film transfer gizmo to download some of the early Land Rover...bachelor stuff.

hoskm01
07-31-2008, 08:22 PM
So, how bout this weather?

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-31-2008, 08:25 PM

I reviewed threads you've started and i don't see a single thread you've started in the irrigation forum. Got to ask a question before making a judgment on us folks here first. Sean will get his problem solved on our time I assure you.

Waterit
07-31-2008, 08:32 PM
It is Effin' AUGUST. We are IRRITATORS. Rant on Dana. Share the stories, help when you feel like it. I don't care.

Man, I like THIS guy! I'm new here, but I am sure glad to see you come back and lay it out like it should be.:waving:

hoskm01
07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
It is Effin' AUGUST.

I like the box you're ridin, but its still July!

Shawn Perkins
07-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks to all you guys that did help i feel if we are not here to help each other we should go find a good off topic BBS to play in.I can not understand people that think they are to good to help but i guess what cames around goes around! PS i do know alot so please ask was in construction for 10 years just wanted a change.

FYI a tree root got twisted up in the common wire and broke it. 2 more of the same on the same block but no one wants to pay :( Yes you will need a chain saw!!!!

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
So what about the shock from the common?

If you fail to provide useful information, then whine about the responses, you will be treated like a pinata, and no apologies.

hoskm01
07-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Glad you found the problem.

Come back when you can chat. You could learn a lot from hanging out, we all have.

Have a beer, or a glass of boxed wine, or a box of glassed wine, if you choose.

hoskm01
07-31-2008, 08:47 PM
So what about the shock from the common?

If you fail to provide useful information, then whine about the responses, you will be treated like a pinata, and no apologies.

You forgot the ñ in piñata. Why couldnt the Spaniards just use a "Y"?

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
You guys kill me.

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
You forgot the ñ in piñata. Why couldnt the Spaniards just use a "Y"?the OP wasn't worth the effort to properly spell piñata - I do have a webpage on file with most of those symbols and equivalents.

....and bag-in-box wine? Bleahh. Found any good ones?

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113963&stc=1&d=1215570193

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
White-out lives...prolly $ 4.99

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 09:09 PM

Yeah how about it? Driest July since the '40s here in C. Springs. And some of you wonder why I'm a PITA? Over 7" of moisture last year to date, right about 3" this year to date.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/colorado_38819___article.html/springs_rain.html

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Going to fuel Bess shortly, prolly $ 350 at our prices. :dizzy:

Shawn Perkins
07-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Shock from common was the homeowner "trying to help" be pluging the common back in
:)

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Shock from common was the homeowner "trying to help" be pluging the common back in

Yeaaahhh..... that's one we would've picked up on. Glad to hear you figured it all out. Without my help :)

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 09:22 PM
:)This is why they invented surcharges.

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 09:23 PM

Good going, check back if you've got other service issues. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shawn Perkins
07-31-2008, 09:41 PM
I read it daily will try to contribute more!
:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Shawn Perkins
07-31-2008, 09:42 PM

105 in the shade

hoskm01
07-31-2008, 09:56 PM
First summer in Colorado and I get slightly cooler than AZ. What a rip. Better be a wet winter.

Michael J. Donovan
07-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I think everyone's had enough fun in this thread and it has gone WAAAAY off topic (even for the Irrigation forum :rolleyes:) so it is now closed