PDA

View Full Version : Whereabouts of LawnBoy 22271?

Roger
07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Has anybody seen any of these new mowers in a dealer's showroom?

There were some threads a couple of months ago, but nothing for awhile now. I sent a message to LB headquarters in mid-May. The reply was May 19, saying production would commence on June 4. I have sent a new message today, asking them if that happened.

My local dealer told me mid-June that he was expecting a shipment of 20 units on or around June 20. I was there today and was told they have not seen mowers yet.

Is this dealer unique? Or, has anybody seen a dealer with some of these machines in their showroom? If not, and LB still has made no shipments, then the June 4 date must have not been met. Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that seven weeks later, some new units would be showing up at the dealers?

Dealers, help us out on the time lag between manufacture and arrival at the dealer? I'm sure there was a pent-up demand for the machine. If the story regarding lack of Honda engines was right, I would think they would have machines ready for the engine, mount the engine, and then ship out the door. Perhaps I don't understand how the process works.

S man
07-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I still think they should put the kawasaki fj180v or the honda gxv full blown commercial instead of that pos honda gsv. Also the mower looks flimsy to me. Toro or exmark for me.

Roger
07-31-2008, 05:55 AM
... Toro or exmark for me.

I already have a Toro Proline as a hand mower, but it is relegated to secondary use. I need a 90# mower, since I already have a 120# machine. The Toro is a great piece of machinery (5.5hp Sizuki), but too heavy for day-to-day use for us.

S man
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
I already have a Toro Proline as a hand mower, but it is relegated to secondary use. I need a 90# mower, since I already have a 120# machine. The Toro is a great piece of machinery (5.5hp Sizuki), but too heavy for day-to-day use for us.
I agree the toro is heavy for full time use but I think that it's due to the single bail on the handlebar which makes it feel heavier when turning and lifting up. I now have the exmark 21" with two bails on the handlebar and it feels lighter and easier to use. I would look into one if you haven't done so yet.

Roger
08-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Just wanted to make one last check, if anybody has seen one of these mowers, dealers or otherwise. Or, even heard anything about delivery, or production schedules.

I learned some information today, but wanted to make another pass at inquiry for any late news. Also, I want to make some local calls to confirm some information. If it all fits together, I will post what I have learned. I don't want to spread false rumors.

bare spot
08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Just wanted to make one last check, if anybody has seen one of these mowers, dealers or otherwise. Or, even heard anything about delivery, or production schedules.

I learned some information today, but wanted to make another pass at inquiry for any late news. Also, I want to make some local calls to confirm some information. If it all fits together, I will post what I have learned. I don't want to spread false rumors.

roger, fwiw, seen one this mourning at a dealer, and don't know if it was the same one but last time i was their i seen one (that was few wks. ago).

shepoutside
08-17-2008, 09:03 AM
They are in at my dealer. Anyone out there have one yet? I need opinions on these, as I am thinking of getting a few of them. I mulch only, and love the 85 lb weight.

brucec32
09-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Their website is short on info. Does the lawnboy 22271 have a bbc? From the photo I'd assume so but they don't mention it. I'm seeing $800 on internet websites for a real world price. I want a lighter mower than the Toro prolines and that price sure sounds better than the $1100+ I'm seeing for them anyway.

Roger
09-07-2008, 02:07 PM
bruce32: The Lawnboy 22271 does not have a BBC. It is a direct drive, engine to blade. The engine is a Honda GSV, an overhead cam engine patterned after the GCV (often found on consumer models mowers with Honda engines). The GSV has some upgrades including a cast iron sleeve, larger fuel tank, bearings top/bottom of crankshaft, and larger air cleaner. There may be other differences, but these are the significant ones that intend to make the engine have better life, and usefulness.

For the availability, the story seems to be very strange. When I went to look at them in early Spring, I found dealers who had a machine. When I went to buy one in late April, or early May, I was told, "... don't have them, not sure when we will get any more." Several dealers told me the same thing.

I made an inquiry directly to LB. In mid-May, they told me "production will commence about June 3 (4?)." This confirmed that LB was not producing these mowers.

In mid-June, I asked a local dealer about availability. I was told he was to get a shipment of 20 units by later in June. That shipment never arrived. I continued to make some inquiries, and the answer was always the same. One large dealer told me the production had stopped because of lack of Honda engines.

In early August, I made more inquiries of several local dealers. The story was all the same, "... haven't had any machines since the one(s) sold out in early Spring." And, their followup was always the same, "... with I had some, I could have sold a ton of them." I also called LB again. Their spokesperson told me, "... yes, they are in production, just talk to your local dealer and they can get you one in a couple of days from the distributor." Well, we all knew this was a company line, and simply not true. But, the young lady was simply doing her job.

Some dealers expressed their dissatisfaction with the situation, but were resigned to lack of inventory. However, one of them was really upset, and my call reminded him to see what was happening. He made some calls, and I soon got a call from a LB representative. He confirmed that production was not commenced on June 3 as expected, but shortly after that time. Also, he told me the problem was supply of engines. Production was underway, but output was very limited.

He made calls and found me one machine. I knew the dealer, and was going to make the quick trip to buy. Then I started thinking, "... hardly any of these machines have been sold, and very few will be sold, ... what happens if I need parts, ... nobody will be stocking parts for a machine that has very limited production." I decided to pass.

Also, one of the dealers talked with their distributor. They were told that no 22271 mowers would be sent to the dealer this season, and the supply could be considered closed for 2008. The next opportunity to buy these mowers would not be until early Spring 2009.

At this point, I've decided to struggle with my DuraForce LB for the rest of the season. Some days, we do well. Other days, we have a real problem at one, or more stops we make during the day (doesn't start well, consistently -- each warm start is an adventure with an unknown outcome).

I know of one LCO that has one in this area. He bought it in early Spring. He was looking to buy more, but couldn't find any. In my area, every trailer has at least one commercial 21" hand mower, some trailers have two, some have three. Commercial quality hand mowers are very much part of every contractors equipment list. Many are still carrying LB DuraForce mowers, but they have to be getting to a replacement era. My point is that nobody is getting any of these mowers.

My interest is similar to yours, a lightweight commercial 21" hand mower. How LB put themselves into this position is a huge business question. Maybe we will never learn the answer. They rolled out the product, started getting some momentum in sales, and then lost production. The interest level has dwindled because the inventory at the showrooms is zilch, nothing!

I've made many posts about this mower, and may yet see one someday, maybe not.

brucec32
09-08-2008, 12:51 AM
My thinking was the same as yours, (what about parts if this turns out to be a very low volume model?). I'm not impressed with some of the decisions at these power equipment manufacturers.

mkirby
02-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I bought one in early spring and told the dealer I will take 3 more. He never could find me another.
They are not great but they are light and durable. We have four of the hivac commercial toro and they are in the shop every week for repairs. I am sick of all these overpriced boat anchors which every company makes.
The lawn boy seemed to be the best of both worlds but unfortunately you are correct about parts. A gear wore out on the left wheel in July. Dealer said he finally received the back ordered part in December. YES the lawn mower was sitting at dealer all summer.

Mike

Ben's Landscape
02-02-2009, 11:13 AM
I have had very good luck with the lawnboys. If I were you i would try and find an old 2 stroke one thats is good condition. I found one for 50 bucks and i got it running its great. I don't like the new lawnboys as much as the old ones. I know the dealer around me has Commercail Lawnboys all the time!! Good luck finding one!!

dishboy
02-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Roger , there is one in a little shop here. Seems to me they wanted $895? last fall. Willing to bet you could negotiate on that. PM me if you want more details.

Ben's Landscape
02-02-2009, 11:34 AM
I think the one that i have seen was $750 no self propelled!!

Roger
02-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Roger , there is one in a little shop here. Seems to me they wanted $895? last fall. Willing to bet you could negotiate on that. PM me if you want more details.

I started this thread last July. I was interested in the Winter, hand my hands on a couple of them, but did not buy. In mid-May, when I went to buy, there were none available. I kept looking, and that is why I posted a new thread in early July.

As the season unfolded, there were very, very few machines available. After many calls to local dealers and others, I learned by late May the production had stopped much earlier, the inventory dried up. Honda was unable to supply GSV engines in enough quantity.

Production was to have restarted in early June. If it did, not many mowers were produced. I know local dealers never received shipments that had been promised. By mid-August, the message I received from several sources, "don't expect any of these machines until 2009." Essentially, production must have ceased. I never knew anybody to have bought one from May onward through the rest of the season. Any existing machines were bought before April 1, perhaps much earlier. I knew other LCOs in this area who were anxious to get one, but none was available to them either. The official word from LB headquarters, "... just ask your dealer, and he will get you one." Obviously, the right hand did not know the works of the left hand.

In early January 2009, I started making new inquiries. LB headquarters were again of very little use, "... product decisions will be made by May of 2009 for the new year." Say what? After more digging, I learned some information, but believe it not to be public yet. I will not post anything here until I see something formal coming from the manufacturer. What I can say is that most likely, the machine will be available for the start of the 2009 season. In another month, we should know if this will be the case.

brucec32
02-02-2009, 04:19 PM
The degree of apparent corporate confusion that is indicated here would and steer me away from the mower. If you have a fantastic product you're not usually on the fence about producing them and getting them onto dealer lots for people to see as soon as possible.

This machine could wind up an "orphan" if discontinued and that affects parts availablity as well as resale value. If they seem fickle now they might be fickle later about keeping it around. If it did something no other mower did I might be inclined to take more chances with it, but hey, it's a 21" mower!

Roger
02-02-2009, 08:50 PM
bruce32: Yes, the corporate story has never been straight. I have to give the people on the phone credit; they had their story line, and stuck with it.

There was one more part of the story above I did not share. In August, somebody did find one machine for me. First, I was thrilled, ... for about 60 seconds. Then my thoughts went to what you say in the second paragraph. I did not want a machine that would have no supply of parts. The Honda GSV is used elsewhere, so those parts could be had elsewhere. But, the mower parts, not so much. I passed on the opportunity.