07-31-2008, 01:54 AM
Just way too funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHV7YJpSGT0&feature=related

TXNSLighting
07-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Ha! to great!

LSUstang05
07-31-2008, 10:11 AM
After seeing that and this I would never own a Tundra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZz3xly3HUA

hosejockey2002
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I like Chevys just fine (I own one) but the traction video is stupid and pointless. All the ramp test points out are the benefits of either a locking or limited slip differential. The Chevy obviously has an LS diff, and the Toyota does not. A Tundra with the optional locker would drive right up that ramp, and a Chevy without one would sit and spin. It has nothing to do with the truck brand.

As far as driving through that ditch, same thing. Since the front wheels of the Toyota are not spinning at all, it's obvious that 4WD is not engaged. Since the truck has an open rear diff, 4WD would be necessary to get through. A truck with a locker would probably make it in 2WD.

white1
07-31-2008, 11:39 AM
I like Chevys just fine (I own one) but the traction video is stupid and pointless. All the ramp test points out are the benefits of either a locking or limited slip differential. The Chevy obviously has an LS diff, and the Toyota does not. A Tundra with the optional locker would drive right up that ramp, and a Chevy without one would sit and spin. It has nothing to do with the truck brand.

As far as driving through that ditch, same thing. Since the front wheels of the Toyota are not spinning at all, it's obvious that 4WD is not engaged. Since the truck has an open rear diff, 4WD would be necessary to get through. A truck with a locker would probably make it in 2WD.

My soundcard is out on my comp, so I wasnt sure if anything may have been described. I am a HUGE Chevy fan, but also noticed that the Chevy had a LS rear at least, and obviously the tundra didnt. Unfair to say the least.

LSUstang05
07-31-2008, 12:43 PM
The Tundra comes standard with a Limited Slip Differential as does the Chevy. The difference is that the Tundra (according to their website: http://toyotatundra.com/tundra/features.html?trim=8245) does not even have the option for a Locking Rear. The Chevy, on the other hand, does come with a locking rear.

And here are a few other videos of why I wouldn't own a Tundra. These have nothing to do with the differential but more to do with the frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zShwG9l1F0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE&NR=1 (around 3 minutes is the testing)

S man
07-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Chevy for me.

white1
07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
The Tundra comes standard with a Limited Slip Differential as does the Chevy. The difference is that the Tundra (according to their website: http://toyotatundra.com/tundra/features.html?trim=8245) does not even have the option for a Locking Rear. The Chevy, on the other hand, does come with a locking rear.

Hmmm interesting. Guess things change. Chevy used to offer the G-80 limited slip differential as an option (that if you put any power to wards, it blows up) and most Toyotas Ive been in have the electric locking rear as an option thats a true locker, not just a limited slip.

Ive found almost all the weak links in the 1/2 ton Chevy I think lol. Transmission is made from paper mache (on #8 right now. Finally found a good aftermarket one), the rod bolts like to break right about 6000 RPM in turn sending connecting rods and pistons out the side of the engine block (mine now has the 6.0 with different rod bolts) The rear ends cant handle 400RWHP on a daily basis (blew 2 of them), but its hard to beat teh ride, and itll now pull anything I hook it to.:weightlifter:

LSUstang05
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
If you ever have trouble with rod bolts again, try some ARP bolts. They are pretty expensive but they are literally the best of the best out there. Guys who build motors that handle 900+rwhp put them in their cars. In fact, a good friend of mine from Auburn (I give him hell about it all the time :laugh:) is building his turbo Mustang for 1,000rwhp and is putting the ARP bolts in it to hold it all together.

punt66
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Hmmm interesting. Guess things change. Chevy used to offer the G-80 limited slip differential as an option (that if you put any power to wards, it blows up) and most Toyotas Ive been in have the electric locking rear as an option thats a true locker, not just a limited slip.

Ive found almost all the weak links in the 1/2 ton Chevy I think lol. Transmission is made from paper mache (on #8 right now. Finally found a good aftermarket one), the rod bolts like to break right about 6000 RPM in turn sending connecting rods and pistons out the side of the engine block (mine now has the 6.0 with different rod bolts) The rear ends cant handle 400RWHP on a daily basis (blew 2 of them), but its hard to beat teh ride, and itll now pull anything I hook it to.:weightlifter:

I think the problem is the driver. :hammerhead: easy on the vehicle.

white1
07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
If you ever have trouble with rod bolts again, try some ARP bolts. They are pretty expensive but they are literally the best of the best out there. Guys who build motors that handle 900+rwhp put them in their cars. In fact, a good friend of mine from Auburn (I give him hell about it all the time :laugh:) is building his turbo Mustang for 1,000rwhp and is putting the ARP bolts in it to hold it all together.

Thats whats in there is the ARPs now. Its had a little work done, supposedly the ARPs are good to 8000+ RPM

Its a little more mild now than it was last year.

white1
07-31-2008, 03:04 PM
I think the problem is the driver. :hammerhead: easy on the vehicle.

That may be part of it. You find a lot of weak links when you try to make a race car out of a 4x4. It is fun spanking some Mustangs with super swampers though :rolleyes:

KCfireman
07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Chevy for me.we can agree on something Scott!!! Chevy all the way!!!!

lawnboy dan
08-01-2008, 05:42 PM
i have both. the tundra is hands down the better truck

TXNSLighting
08-01-2008, 05:58 PM
i have both. the tundra is hands down the better truck

in your opinion

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-01-2008, 11:18 PM
You guys are ingorant.... the guy said he has both and the Tundra is hands down the better truck. Sure it is just his opinion, but how would you guys know what your opinion is without trying a Tundra yourselves? It is like you already have your mind made up and you have no interest in seeing what this truck is really like.

I have owned several Chevys, a 1996.. 1998... 2001... 2003.... 2005, all bought new ( except for the 1998 ) and all were put to work. I am a big fan of Chevy trucks, and I think they are very good.

Heck I went to the Chevy dealer to buy a new truck and before signing any papers I thought I would just go 1/8th of a mile up the street and take a closer look at the Tundra first just to see what it was like before buying the Chevy. After seeing the Tundra from top to bottom and driving one I knew that in my opinion it was the better truck. I am very happy with my Tundra, it is certainly better than any truck I have had before it, including all those Chevys.

You guys may not like the way it looks.... fine.

You guys may not like the fact it isn't " American " .... thats fine too.

You guys may not like the fact it isn't a 3/4 ton truck.... hey whatever floats your boat.

But dam guys, Go take a real true hard look at one next chance you get, I believe you will be impressed.

LSUstang05
08-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I've looked at Chevy's and the Tundra. Friends of mine own both. Hands down the Chevy can out pull, out handle, and off road light years better than the Tundra. Tundra is a great truck, but I don't think I would ever rely on one for heavy towing day in and day out. I just don't think it would work as well. Hell, half of those video's prove what I'm saying, too. It may ride fine on the street, but the frame's on the Ford/Chevy's are far superior to the frame on the Toyota.

That may be part of it. You find a lot of weak links when you try to make a race car out of a 4x4. It is fun spanking some Mustangs with super swampers though :rolleyes:
We can race some time :)

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-02-2008, 12:00 AM
I've looked at Chevy's and the Tundra. Friends of mine own both. Hands down the Chevy can out pull, out handle, and off road light years better than the Tundra. Tundra is a great truck, but I don't think I would ever rely on one for heavy towing day in and day out. I just don't think it would work as well. Hell, half of those video's prove what I'm saying, too. It may ride fine on the street, but the frame's on the Ford/Chevy's are far superior to the frame on the Toyota.

off roading I can't answer as I don't go mud dogging with my Tundra.... If I wanted to go off roading I would buy a jeep and tow it to the trails with the tundra and go off roading!

Out handling and out towing.... Well I disagree. Define handling for starters, and define what you mean by out tow. Keep in mind were talking about 1500 Chevy verses 2007 and newer Toyota Tundra's.

Frame not being as strong I can not say, bottom line is I believe the frame is plenty strong enough for what the truck is designed to carry and do. Will it hold up to a redneck jumping hills off road with 1000 pounds of concrete in the bed? I don't know, but will it hold up to daily use as a truck within the payload and towing limits stated in the owners manual, I bet it will.

I am towing a 7x16 enclosed trailer loaded daily. The truck pulls the trailer very well, impressively well. And I am averaging 11.5 mpg doing it ( the last 3 tanks of gas anyways ) I have owned enough Chevys to know that the Chevys would pull the trailer well too, and probably return simular milage, but as a package overall I don't think the Chevy has the same level of refinement and fit and finish the Tundra has. I also believe the Tundra is a better investment of sorts as far as resale value goes, Used Toyotas in general tend up hold their value much better than most other brands ( honda is the same way )

Don't get me wrong, the Chevy is a fine truck. My 03 Avalanche was hands down the best truck I had ever driven till I got the Tundra. Heck the avalanche had a great plush ride, loved the coil spring rear suspension.....

LSUstang05
08-02-2008, 12:44 AM
I am towing a 7x16 enclosed trailer loaded daily. The truck pulls the trailer very well, impressively well. And I am averaging 11.5 mpg doing it ( the last 3 tanks of gas anyways ) I have owned enough Chevys to know that the Chevys would pull the trailer well too, and probably return simular milage, but as a package overall I don't think the Chevy has the same level of refinement and fit and finish the Tundra has. I also believe the Tundra is a better investment of sorts as far as resale value goes, Used Toyotas in general tend up hold their value much better than most other brands ( honda is the same way )

Don't get me wrong, the Chevy is a fine truck. My 03 Avalanche was hands down the best truck I had ever driven till I got the Tundra. Heck the avalanche had a great plush ride, loved the coil spring rear suspension.....

I agree with that statement 100%. Any domestic car or truck is not going to have the same fit/finish as a toyota or honda. On the resale, I don't think we will know for a few more years, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sold for the same. Trucks hold their value surprisingly well, even with a lot of miles on them. We never did any "hard" testing on the two trucks, but we towed the same trailer with each truck and all of us seemed to agree that the Chevy towed it better. Now is that because we live in the South and have a predisposition to like Chevy/Ford, I don't know. It just seemed that it pulled a little bit better than the Tundra.

I agree that both trucks are pretty good trucks and I honestly think it all just comes down to personal preference. Just like anything else heh

punt66
08-02-2008, 07:16 AM
You guys are ingorant.... the guy said he has both and the Tundra is hands down the better truck. Sure it is just his opinion, but how would you guys know what your opinion is without trying a Tundra yourselves? It is like you already have your mind made up and you have no interest in seeing what this truck is really like.

I have owned several Chevys, a 1996.. 1998... 2001... 2003.... 2005, all bought new ( except for the 1998 ) and all were put to work. I am a big fan of Chevy trucks, and I think they are very good.

Heck I went to the Chevy dealer to buy a new truck and before signing any papers I thought I would just go 1/8th of a mile up the street and take a closer look at the Tundra first just to see what it was like before buying the Chevy. After seeing the Tundra from top to bottom and driving one I knew that in my opinion it was the better truck. I am very happy with my Tundra, it is certainly better than any truck I have had before it, including all those Chevys.

You guys may not like the fact it isn't a 3/4 ton truck.... hey whatever floats your boat.

But dam guys, Go take a real true hard look at one next chance you get, I believe you will be impressed.

Its not an american truck and maybe thats why people like me wont give it a chance. Thats why i wont give it a chance.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-02-2008, 08:41 AM
I agree with that statement 100%. Any domestic car or truck is not going to have the same fit/finish as a toyota or honda. On the resale, I don't think we will know for a few more years, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sold for the same. Trucks hold their value surprisingly well, even with a lot of miles on them. We never did any "hard" testing on the two trucks, but we towed the same trailer with each truck and all of us seemed to agree that the Chevy towed it better. Now is that because we live in the South and have a predisposition to like Chevy/Ford, I don't know. It just seemed that it pulled a little bit better than the Tundra.

I agree that both trucks are pretty good trucks and I honestly think it all just comes down to personal preference. Just like anything else heh

Thank you, very good and very intellegent post.

I don't expect all the Chevy or Ford fans to convert to Toyota fans, and I don't expect anyone to say the Tundra is the best truck either. It would just be nice if people were more open minded and willing to put brand loyalty and preconcieved notions aside and treat the Tundra as a equal player in the 1/2 ton pick up market.

The last Chevy I had was a 1500 Silverado regular cab with the small 4.8 liter V-8. It was nice and pulled fine and got good milage. I sold it and bought a Isuzu NPR with the idea that the Isuzu would be the ultimate vehicle for a lawncare person. I ended up hating that truck and I sold it this past spring. I went back to the chevy dealer and was looking to buy another 1500 regular cab truck with the small V-8. The 2008's are much nicer than the 2005 I had, but like I said I wanted to just make sure I had a chance to look at the Tundra ( I also looked at Nissan Titan and Dodge Ram ) Comparing the regular cab Chevy to any other brand regular cab, the Chevy quickly gets knocked off the list due to the fact that all the other brands have TONS more room inside the cab and behind the seat than the Chevy. After really looking at the Tundra I was extremely impressed. I decided I would go ahead and get a extended cab truck, and as it turned out, the Toyota ended up being one of the least expensive ones out of all the manufactors.

Anyway, all the brands today are good trucks. It does just come down to what you like.

white1
08-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Id have to be in the rain or mud now lol. Different cam and converter. Probably in the 14s on the swampers, but not sure Id even be in the 13's on slicks

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Its not an american truck and maybe thats why people like me wont give it a chance. Thats why i wont give it a chance.

Well that is too bad...

I could be wrong but I am willing to bet that your household is loaded with non american stuff. Things you likely own that are most likely not american

1. Your TV sets
2. Your cell phones
3. your computer equipment
4. most anything electronic
5. 90 percent of the stuff you or your wife bought at Walmart

That is just the tip of the iceberg, if you really looked at where everything you own was made you would be looking at ALOT of stuff made out of the country.

What about our lawn equipment too? None of the small engined stuff is american, not even Echo ( Echo is a japanese company ) What about the popular Kawasaki and Honda engines?

And Chevy trucks for that matter, you really think those are american? Most are put together with parts that vendors from all over the world supply GM with, and the trucks themselves are most likely put together in Canada or Mexico. At least the Tundra is put together in America....

Not considering it cause it isn't american is about the most hypocritical thing a person could say these days.

GravelyNut
08-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Take a good look at the video of the Tundra vs the Sierra. You would notice that both rear wheels on the Toy are spinning. Rules out it being an open diff.
Also both wheels on the Toy are spinning in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZF77tgk&NR=1

punt66
08-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Well that is too bad...

I could be wrong but I am willing to bet that your household is loaded with non american stuff. Things you likely own that are most likely not american

1. Your TV sets
2. Your cell phones
3. your computer equipment
4. most anything electronic
5. 90 percent of the stuff you or your wife bought at Walmart

That is just the tip of the iceberg, if you really looked at where everything you own was made you would be looking at ALOT of stuff made out of the country.

What about our lawn equipment too? None of the small engined stuff is american, not even Echo ( Echo is a japanese company ) What about the popular Kawasaki and Honda engines?

And Chevy trucks for that matter, you really think those are american? Most are put together with parts that vendors from all over the world supply GM with, and the trucks themselves are most likely put together in Canada or Mexico. At least the Tundra is put together in America....

Not considering it cause it isn't american is about the most hypocritical thing a person could say these days.

Yout right, alot of stuff is made outside the US. Thats why i do my best to buy american when i can so people like you can still have a job.

TXNSLighting
08-02-2008, 01:35 PM

yeh thats probably why for me to. and the fact i still think its an ugly truck. but ya know its my choice!

GravelyGuy
08-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Vehicles are a huge investment these days, 40K plus. You should get what you want and screw any brand loyalty BS. None of the automakers give a damn about their customers.

Everything is outsourced these days and nobody seems to care about it except when it comes to a redneck standing behind his pickup truck.

nosparkplugs
08-02-2008, 06:14 PM
The vast majority of Toyota owners are not "working" these trucks hard? I generallly see these Tundra's being driven around buy the rich new status symbol here, or to tow the family $50,000 ski boat. Never seen a Tundra on a jobsite in Memphis yet, local companies are purchasing basic trim model Tundra's for delivery services, or job estimating, pest control or light herbicide/fertilization applications ie: light work/use. The Tundra's fit & finish is excellent rival some luxury cars/suv's, and seems to be attractive to those companies not wanting fleet cars, and not needing a 3/4ton fleet truck either.

Toyota's biggest mistake is not introducing a Diesel Tundra right now, when Cummins is getting the "bugs" worked out of the 6.7, and Cummins will, by then Toyota will have lost their window of opartunity.

I would shell out the "extra" cash or a 3/4 Ton diesel before any 1/2 ton Gasburner Toyota Tundra included.

punt66
08-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Vehicles are a huge investment these days, 40K plus. You should get what you want and screw any brand loyalty BS. None of the automakers give a damn about their customers.

Everything is outsourced these days and nobody seems to care about it except when it comes to a redneck standing behind his pickup truck.

So your saying only a redneck buys american? haha Yes lots of things are outsourced all the more reason to do your best to buy american. Go Japan!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Yout right, alot of stuff is made outside the US. Thats why i do my best to buy american when i can so people like you can still have a job.

2007 ram quad cab hemi thunder road, boss plow
1991 ram 250 dump insert,plow,mulch/leaftruck
6x12 enclosed trailer
8x16 open trailer
2005 ferris is1500z 52" 25hp Kawasaki
1999 encore 48" WB
Shindawa 630 back pack blower
Echo 413 back pack blower
Giant vac 10hp blower
Giant vac 16hp swing away vac
2 shindawa 22t trimmers
Shindawa power broom
Echo long shaft hedge trimmer
Echo short shaft hedge trimmer
Echo stick edger

Look at this list...

07 Dodge ram - built in Mexico

Kawasaki engine on the mower - could have bought a american Kohler!

4 Echo power tools and 4 Shindawa power tools - not sure if there are any good power tools that are made in America by american companies, but Echo and Shindawa I believe are made in Japan, Honda on the other hand makes their stuff in the USA...

And like I said, I am willing to bet that you most likely have more stuff that is not american than is american if you looked at every last thing you own.

I do believe it is a good thing to try to buy american when possible, but let's face it, we buy what we want and usually where it was made or who owns the company is not a concern for us. Usually what we want is a good product at a good price and that is it. If it turns out it was made in America, then great... if it was made in Japan oh well, we still like it.

For years, there was no non american alternatives in full sized trucks... now there is, and the Toyota and Nissan trucks are dam good trucks.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-02-2008, 10:45 PM
The vast majority of Toyota owners are not "working" these trucks hard? I generallly see these Tundra's being driven around buy the rich new status symbol here, or to tow the family $50,000 ski boat. Never seen a Tundra on a jobsite in Memphis yet, local companies are purchasing basic trim model Tundra's for delivery services, or job estimating, pest control or light herbicide/fertilization applications ie: light work/use. The Tundra's fit & finish is excellent rival some luxury cars/suv's, and seems to be attractive to those companies not wanting fleet cars, and not needing a 3/4ton fleet truck either.

Toyota's biggest mistake is not introducing a Diesel Tundra right now, when Cummins is getting the "bugs" worked out of the 6.7, and Cummins will, by then Toyota will have lost their window of opartunity.

I would shell out the "extra" cash or a 3/4 Ton diesel before any 1/2 ton Gasburner Toyota Tundra included.

What do you mean by " Working them hard " ?

As for the Diesel, I think that Toyota - along with every other mainstream automaker - is missing the boat with diesels altogether. Toyota could easily offer a diesel engine in almost all their vehicles... Most of their vehicles sold in other markets have diesel engines as either standard or optional on most models. Next year we will be able to buy a diesel Honda Accord....

Toyota should come out with a larger capacity Tundra with a Diesel engine.... But at the same time I also believe all the truck makers should be selling small trucks ( Ford Ranger sized ) with small turbocharged 4 cylinder diesels, who wouldn't like to have a small doublecab truck that will pull a 3-5 thousand pound trailer and get 30 mpg unloaded? I know I would! I would be much more excited about that than a 3/4 ton Diesel tundra that gets 12-18 MPG.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-02-2008, 10:52 PM
yeh thats probably why for me to. and the fact i still think its an ugly truck. but ya know its my choice!

I remember that everytime Chevy did a radical restyle on their trucks people claimed they made the trucks ugly.... Everytime.

I remember when Chevy changed in 1998-1999 to the new body style, I thought it was ugly, but then grew to like it. Then in 2002 or 2003 when they changed the front ends I thought it was ugly, but then grew to like it. Then the newest style, 2007 I believe... I still think they are ugly ( don't like how the fenders are flared out ) but I am sure in a year or two I will end up liking the way they look.

I thought the Dodge Rams, when they radically restyled them in the mid 1990's ( which helped make them a popular truck since hardely anyone bought the older Dodge trucks ) Well I thought they are extremely ugly.... But a few years later I ended up really liking them, still think Dodge Rams are one of the best looking trucks on the road.

I really never thought much about the Tundra, I didn't find it to be very good looking, but also didn't feel it was ugly either. All in all I find it to be a decent looking truck.

SNAPPER MAN
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
I dont know how people think that tundras arnt worked hard. My neighbor owns his own concrete business and he uses his tundra to pull around his 24ft. enclosed trailer weighing at least 10,000lbs. His tundra barely squats at all. He used to have a 2006 Ford F-250 king ranch diesel and he says that the toyota pulls and handles the load way better than the ford. This is coming from a guy that was a die hard ford fan until he had lots of problems with his 2006. I personally love my tundra. It pulls my mowing rig great which weighs about 6,000lbs. like its not even there. I had my heart set on buying a new ford diesel this year but when I test drove the ford it rode like crap and the diesel didnt have nearly the power everyone claims it has. The toyota is a much nicer truck to drive and is a very good product. In many ways the Tundra is more American than any Ford, chevy, or dodge because toyotas are built in San Antonio, Texas where toyota employees thousands of Texans. So when I bought my Tundra I did buy American.

mike lane lawn care
08-02-2008, 11:53 PM
i personally like the new tundra, but it's 2wd base price is more than a 4x4 3/4 ton GMC. If i had the money, sure i would try one out, i raced one on the highway the other day, and he pulled away from 6.0 2500HD with 4.10 gears, but my truck weighs more. i test drove one, and it was like driving toyota's new Rav4, couldn't tell it was a truck. and maybe that's what does it for me, i need some rough edges in a truck. but then again, my HD, has every option that toyota had, and has almost the same ride quality. I don't think it should turn into an american made war, as most of our vehicles are made in either canada or mexico anyway.

punt66
08-03-2008, 06:42 AM
2007 ram quad cab hemi thunder road, boss plow
1991 ram 250 dump insert,plow,mulch/leaftruck
6x12 enclosed trailer
8x16 open trailer
2005 ferris is1500z 52" 25hp Kawasaki
1999 encore 48" WB
Shindawa 630 back pack blower
Echo 413 back pack blower
Giant vac 10hp blower
Giant vac 16hp swing away vac
2 shindawa 22t trimmers
Shindawa power broom
Echo long shaft hedge trimmer
Echo short shaft hedge trimmer
Echo stick edger

Look at this list...

07 Dodge ram - built in Mexico

Kawasaki engine on the mower - could have bought a american Kohler!

4 Echo power tools and 4 Shindawa power tools - not sure if there are any good power tools that are made in America by american companies, but Echo and Shindawa I believe are made in Japan, Honda on the other hand makes their stuff in the USA...

And like I said, I am willing to bet that you most likely have more stuff that is not american than is american if you looked at every last thing you own.

I do believe it is a good thing to try to buy american when possible, but let's face it, we buy what we want and usually where it was made or who owns the company is not a concern for us. Usually what we want is a good product at a good price and that is it. If it turns out it was made in America, then great... if it was made in Japan oh well, we still like it.

For years, there was no non american alternatives in full sized trucks... now there is, and the Toyota and Nissan trucks are dam good trucks.

haha, i never said toyota was a bad truck. I just wouldnt buy one. Also dodge is an american owned company. The money stays here. As i stated before i buy american when we can. When we buy toys for our daughter we search on line to see all thats made in america. We cant always avoid buying foreign products and thats ok. But at least we make an attempt. To each is own. Support Hakumora!!!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
08-03-2008, 07:58 AM
haha, i never said toyota was a bad truck. I just wouldnt buy one. Also dodge is an american owned company. The money stays here. As i stated before i buy american when we can. When we buy toys for our daughter we search on line to see all thats made in america. We cant always avoid buying foreign products and thats ok. But at least we make an attempt. To each is own. Support Hakumora!!!

Dodge was up until recently a German owned company.

LSUstang05
08-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Dodge was up until recently a German owned company.

Mercedes owned them for a while. Got rid of them because they were a money pit and weren't making any money.

The Tundra may be a great truck, but from the video at Silver Creek frame test at 28mph over alternating bumps, I don't like it too much. The truck bed wobbles WAY too much when compared to the Chevy/Ford truck.

And yes, you are right, the Chevy is built at a plant in Canada (along with the GMC version, too). The F150 (since 2004) has been produced in the Dearborn Truck Plant in Dearborn, Michigan right here in the USA :usflag:

SNAPPER MAN
08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
If american trucks are soo good then why is the Tundra the Motortrend Truck of the Year for 2008?

nosparkplugs
08-03-2008, 12:35 PM
I dont know how people think that tundras arnt worked hard. My neighbor owns his own concrete business and he uses his tundra to pull around his 24ft. enclosed trailer weighing at least 10,000lbs. His tundra barely squats at all. He used to have a 2006 Ford F-250 king ranch diesel and he says that the toyota pulls and handles the load way better than the ford. This is coming from a guy that was a die hard ford fan until he had lots of problems with his 2006. I personally love my tundra. It pulls my mowing rig great which weighs about 6,000lbs. like its not even there. I had my heart set on buying a new ford diesel this year but when I test drove the ford it rode like crap and the diesel didnt have nearly the power everyone claims it has. The toyota is a much nicer truck to drive and is a very good product. In many ways the Tundra is more American than any Ford, chevy, or dodge because toyotas are built in San Antonio, Texas where toyota employees thousands of Texans. So when I bought my Tundra I did buy American.

Toyota could not ask for better PR, "neighbor who owns Concrete business sells F-350 King Rancher, and purchases a Toyota Tundra to tow around his 24ft Enclosed 10,000lb trailer" While you neighbor may be the exception? most business owners towing a 24ft trailer would opt for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. You can never have too much truck.

I have noticed a trend with the Toyota Tundra truck owners, their rational is one of, I have a 1/2 ton truck that tows like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. While that may be the case up to the Tundra's maximum 10,000 towing capacity, their not classified as 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks. So you have limited yourself to under 11,000lbs

To say a Ford 3/4 or 1 ton diesel is not powerful is false, maybe to expensive for some??, but never underpowered. Lets stick with apple's to apple's here.

Tundra's are made in USA? true but false. The workers are Texan's, but all that cash goes back over seas to Toyota's world headquarters. Toyota's choice to bring their automotive factories to the US was no accident. Until now many potential Toyota buyers still avoided the foreign car company; due to the belief of their hard earned dollars not supporting the UAW autoworker. Fact is Toyota pays their blue collar workers less than UAW wages. The big three still have their world headquarters in Detriot, MI; regardless of outsourcesing.

We all balance a choice between the equipment needed to run our business, and the trucks to tow & haul that equipment. Some will never need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. However the DOT does impose stiff penalties for those who choose to operate a business with not enough truck when towing that heavy trailer. We can all speculate, give examples of what our trucks can do better than another truck. A smart business owner should know the weight their going to be towing or hauling daily, and purchase a truck accordingly.

The Tundra spec's are impressive; furthermore all 1/2 ton trucks on the market have strength's & weakness. Do your research, but lets be realistic when comparing trucks.

lawn king
08-03-2008, 07:20 PM
GM,ford and dodge are the light duty workhorses of the landscape industry here in massachusetts. You just dont see companys running toyotas.

mark12
08-04-2008, 12:25 AM
tundra was awarded 2008 truck of the year from motor trend right? I have an 08 Tundra and love it....had an 07 as well but I needed 4x4 so I traded it in this year. My best friend has a big chevy 2500hd. It's a sweet truck also. This isn't anything different than the threads when people compair a hustler to a scag or exmark. Their all good machines....some buy trucks for looks, some for performance, some for specs, and most of us buy (at a dealer) because of a good salesman, the right truck and the right price. There are many youtube vids of tundras woopin chevys also....ect....as a salesman the best information is to know your competitors weak points.

TXNSLighting
08-04-2008, 09:53 AM
If american trucks are soo good then why is the Tundra the Motortrend Truck of the Year for 2008?

come on motortrend is a joke.

TXNSLighting
08-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Toyota could not ask for better PR, "neighbor who owns Concrete business sells F-350 King Rancher, and purchases a Toyota Tundra to tow around his 24ft Enclosed 10,000lb trailer" While you neighbor may be the exception? most business owners towing a 24ft trailer would opt for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. You can never have too much truck.

I have noticed a trend with the Toyota Tundra truck owners, their rational is one of, I have a 1/2 ton truck that tows like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. While that may be the case up to the Tundra's maximum 10,000 towing capacity, their not classified as 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks. So you have limited yourself to under 11,000lbs

To say a Ford 3/4 or 1 ton diesel is not powerful is false, maybe to expensive for some??, but never underpowered. Lets stick with apple's to apple's here.

Tundra's are made in USA? true but false. The workers are Texan's, but all that cash goes back over seas to Toyota's world headquarters. Toyota's choice to bring their automotive factories to the US was no accident. Until now many potential Toyota buyers still avoided the foreign car company; due to the belief of their hard earned dollars not supporting the UAW autoworker. Fact is Toyota pays their blue collar workers less than UAW wages. The big three still have their world headquarters in Detriot, MI; regardless of outsourcesing.

We all balance a choice between the equipment needed to run our business, and the trucks to tow & haul that equipment. Some will never need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. However the DOT does impose stiff penalties for those who choose to operate a business with not enough truck when towing that heavy trailer. We can all speculate, give examples of what our trucks can do better than another truck. A smart business owner should know the weight their going to be towing or hauling daily, and purchase a truck accordingly.

The Tundra spec's are impressive; furthermore all 1/2 ton trucks on the market have strength's & weakness. Do your research, but lets be realistic when comparing trucks.

Wow, this is the best post youve written. Good job. :clapping:*newusflag*

02DURAMAX
08-05-2008, 02:03 AM

I have and I will still take my Chevy over your Tundra.

02DURAMAX
08-05-2008, 02:04 AM
come on motortrend is a joke.

100% Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KCfireman
08-05-2008, 03:33 AM
I dont know how people think that tundras arnt worked hard. My neighbor owns his own concrete business and he uses his tundra to pull around his 24ft. enclosed trailer weighing at least 10,000lbs. His tundra barely squats at all. He used to have a 2006 Ford F-250 king ranch diesel and he says that the toyota pulls and handles the load way better than the ford. This is coming from a guy that was a die hard ford fan until he had lots of problems with his 2006. I personally love my tundra. It pulls my mowing rig great which weighs about 6,000lbs. like its not even there. I had my heart set on buying a new ford diesel this year but when I test drove the ford it rode like crap and the diesel didnt have nearly the power everyone claims it has. The toyota is a much nicer truck to drive and is a very good product. In many ways the Tundra is more American than any Ford, chevy, or dodge because toyotas are built in San Antonio, Texas where toyota employees thousands of Texans. So when I bought my Tundra I did buy American.How are you test driving these vehicles and calling them your vehicles when you dont even have a license? You can correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure i read in a post from you that said you were 14???? No????

punt66
08-05-2008, 06:27 AM
How are you test driving these vehicles and calling them your vehicles when you dont even have a license? You can correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure i read in a post from you that said you were 14???? No????

haha, thats typical of lawnsite.

SNAPPER MAN
08-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Im 15 guys. Got my hardship license so I can drive.

newdude
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Take a good look at the video of the Tundra vs the Sierra. You would notice that both rear wheels on the Toy are spinning. Rules out it being an open diff.
Also both wheels on the Toy are spinning in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZF77tgk&NR=1

yea, the toy has the limited slip, the gm has the locker.

newdude
08-05-2008, 04:21 PM

hey r-tard, did you even read the article?? did you notice that the only reason it won was because it was the only 1/2 ton in the competition going up against a crapload of 3/4 tons and 1 tons??? Of course they are going to give it to the only one that rides like a freaking car!!!!!!!!!!!1

SNAPPER MAN
08-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for calling me a ******. I appreciate it. Puto.

KCfireman
08-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for calling me a ******. I appreciate it. Puto.wow....snapper you are really PROfessional. When i was in school they used that word A LOT! Grow up and quit acting like your in 3rd grade!

newdude
08-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for calling me a ******. I appreciate it. Puto.

Wow, you can speak mexican??? :usflag::drinkup:

nosparkplugs
08-05-2008, 10:06 PM
How are you test driving these vehicles and calling them your vehicles when you dont even have a license? You can correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure i read in a post from you that said you were 14???? No????

Gotta Love the WWW, you can become anyone you want, and then get BUSTED:laugh: Cannot believe I'm arguing with a 14 year old. This is BS

Ridin' Around
08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
They should have used this Tundra! TRD supercharger & exhaust = 505hp!

nosparkplugs
08-05-2008, 10:33 PM
They should have used this Tundra! TRD supercharger & exhaust = 505hp!

Unless they have done some major internal engine work, not impressed. The tundra is an all aluminum engine block & head with known metallurgical weakness's in the engine's metal.:hammerhead: That truck would blow quicker than a stock Tundra towing some weight:laugh:

Ridin' Around
08-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I understand, Here is my truck of choice loaded with old pallets, I hauled a couple of weeks ago. Just thought that Tundra was good looking truck I saw about a month ago. Don't see many of these tricked out!

02DURAMAX
08-06-2008, 01:35 AM
I understand, Here is my truck of choice loaded with old pallets, I hauled a couple of weeks ago. Just thought that Tundra was good looking truck I saw about a month ago. Don't see many of these tricked out!

Thats a beautiful Truck!!!!

TXNSLighting
08-06-2008, 08:00 AM

around here you do... there a three brand new GMC duallys lowered with rock stars on em... ill try and get pictures if im fast enough..what a waste

TXNSLighting
08-06-2008, 08:04 AM
man this JOKE thread really got out of hand...

Ridin' Around
08-06-2008, 08:48 AM
around here you do... there a three brand new GMC duallys lowered with rock stars on em... ill try and get pictures if im fast enough..what a waste

Yeah here too big 3 trucks everytime you turn around, That's why the Tundra caught my eye when I saw it. Everybody and his brother has a tricked out Ford Chevy or Dodge around here. I like 'em all.

hosejockey2002
08-09-2008, 12:29 AM

Maybe so, but the front wheels are not spinning at all. Put the frickin' truck in 4WD and it would walk right through.

GravelyNut
08-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe so, but the front wheels are not spinning at all. Put the frickin' truck in 4WD and it would walk right through.
Do the same with the GM products and they would too. But that isn't/wasn't the point. The point was to show the differences in a locker and a limited-slip.

GravelyNut
08-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Nice truck. Too bad it doesn't have a Big Block.:laugh: I know where that load of wood wouldn't last an hour. Boiler fodder for a 1913 ALCO.