PDA

View Full Version : Wright sentar sport 52" 19hp Kaw

jeffex
07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
I have used toro walkbehinds w/velky for 14 yrs . Now I have developed tendonitus in both hips. My physical theropy is getting me better but I have identified 2 things that need to change that may be the source of the injury. My work boots needed to go for tennis shoes to prevent the high tops pulling on the tendons. Now it seems the stance required to stand on the velky and opperate the t-bar may aggrivate the hip tendons as well. I looked at the wright sentar as a possible alternative for my mowing conditions. A ZTR may be an alternative but the 52" sentar sport has a smaller footprint on my trailer than the 48" toro & folded velkey. Iwould also need a bigger trailer to carry a 52" ZTR and a 36" toro but NOT with the sentar. The local store has a 52" 19hp Kaw they are closing out . They will get back to me with a price on friday they said. Along with my decision is they type of lawn I have . mostly 1/4 acre some small hills. I would prefer the 23 hp Kaw but I'll wait and see the price point they come at me with. This is more of a move for health reasons as I love my toros. I did a search and find favorable ratings for the wright products. Anyone have a simular model to the 52" 19 kaw that can give some detail on their experience with this machine?

jameson
07-31-2008, 10:21 AM
I have used toro walkbehinds w/velky for 14 yrs . Now I have developed tendonitus in both hips. My physical theropy is getting me better but I have identified 2 things that need to change that may be the source of the injury. My work boots needed to go for tennis shoes to prevent the high tops pulling on the tendons. Now it seems the stance required to stand on the velky and opperate the t-bar may aggrivate the hip tendons as well. I looked at the wright sentar as a possible alternative for my mowing conditions. A ZTR may be an alternative but the 52" sentar sport has a smaller footprint on my trailer than the 48" toro & folded velkey. Iwould also need a bigger trailer to carry a 52" ZTR and a 36" toro but NOT with the sentar. The local store has a 52" 19hp Kaw they are closing out . They will get back to me with a price on friday they said. Along with my decision is they type of lawn I have . mostly 1/4 acre some small hills. I would prefer the 23 hp Kaw but I'll wait and see the price point they come at me with. This is more of a move for health reasons as I love my toros. I did a search and find favorable ratings for the wright products. Anyone have a simular model to the 52" 19 kaw that can give some detail on their experience with this machine?

As I've recently been inquiring about Wright's 52" Sentar Sport, a couple of points from my limited perspective. . .

1. The Sentar Sport isn't equipped with the 23 hp KAW, however, it is being outfitted with the FH601V 19 hp KAW (from what I can tell, this "big block" 19 is a recent offering on the 48" - 52" Sports).

2. As the Sport you're looking at is a designated "closeout", it's more than likely powered by the FH580V KAW, an engine that is not adequate IMO to sufficiently power such a machine.

Bottom line? I personally wouldn't purchase one unless it was powered by the "big block" FH601V.

heybruck34
07-31-2008, 11:09 AM
I agree with Jameson- I think the SPORT is limited at the 19 hp. When you get into the "full size" standers you get the 23 with the canister air filter, etc. The hydro pumps are larger, gas tank, speed, and of course, weight all increase.
http://www.wrightmfg.com/uploads/files/WRIGHT-SENTAR_SPORT_SPECS.pdf

http://www.wrightmfg.com/uploads/files/WRIGHT-SENTAR_SPECS.pdf

Not sure if these links will work- copy and paste if not...

jeffex
07-31-2008, 04:18 PM
thanks for the tip on the motor I will look at that specifically on the mower itself. they have a stander that was a demo with 9 hours o it with the 23 Kaw but the deck isn't easily adjustable and it has no seat.

tb8100
07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Look at a full size Sentar. The Sentar Sports are slower, the deck is fixed, and the stance is narrower than the Sentar, not to mention the 19hp engine on a 52" deck as opposed to a 23hp engine is a stark difference in power.

jameson
07-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Look at a full size Sentar. The Sentar Sports are slower, the deck is fixed, and the stance is narrower than the Sentar, not to mention the 19hp engine on a 52" deck as opposed to a 23hp engine is a stark difference in power.

The FH601V 19 hp KAW would be more than sufficient to power the Sentar Sport (~790 lbs.), the FH580V. . . not so much.

I shouldn't think that the fixed deck is an issue with a Wright Sentar Sport, given its small footprint; and considering the multiplication of fixed deck Wrights out there, serial scalping doesn't seem to be an issue of great import on these machines.

jeffex
08-01-2008, 07:07 AM
the sentar I looked at had a fixed deck and it looked like shims on the front casters were the method of height of cut change. The sentar sport has a unique fixed deck that raises or lowers with a handle right at the opperators fingertips. If this mower I'm looking at has the fh580V rather than the FH 601V I may just pass on the closeout price. I don't need a bigger mower or even to go fast but I would like to buy one that is NOT underpowered for my 200+ lbs. Idealy I wold like a 23 hp but after looking at this design seriously I can see how it fits my needs perfectly. Small footprint for my trailer. Well built heavy duty commercial use design. I may even consider a 36" with the 19 that would cut even my backyards with gates. Walkbehinds have doe thetrick for my route for 14 yrs but this injury has me looking to make a change

Hawg City Lawns
08-01-2008, 11:27 AM
sounds like wright should look into bad boys electric deck lift that would be pretty useful on the operators station

tb8100
08-01-2008, 12:12 PM
The FH601V 19 hp KAW would be more than sufficient to power the Sentar Sport (~790 lbs.), the FH580V. . . not so much.

I shouldn't think that the fixed deck is an issue with a Wright Sentar Sport, given its small footprint; and considering the multiplication of fixed deck Wrights out there, serial scalping doesn't seem to be an issue of great import on these machines.

What makes the FH601 more capable than the FH580? The FH601 puts out 1 more # of torque. :confused:

tb8100
08-01-2008, 12:15 PM
sounds like wright should look into bad boys electric deck lift that would be pretty useful on the operators station

shhh.....let Bad Boy make a Stander with that electric deck lift! :waving: haha

mag360
08-01-2008, 02:27 PM

Someone sure needs to---I've been suggesting it for a while now.

delphied
08-01-2008, 06:27 PM
I tried out the 52 Sentar Sport and thought it was a pretty good machine. Im not inclined to think a mower needs the huge engines that most people want now. I opted for a used TTHP with a Proslide. It beats walking but it isnt even close to a Wright Sentar or Stander and I dont think any WB is. They cost the same as a hydro WB but ride better and as far as Im concerned, they cut better too. If I stay in this business, my next machine will prolly be a Stander.

jameson
08-01-2008, 10:34 PM
What makes the FH601 more capable than the FH580? The FH601 puts out 1 more # of torque. :confused:

Why :confused:?

Off the top of my head, the FH601V is a whole different kettle of fish, or at least a whole 'nother family of KAW engines. The difference in displacement is probably ~100 cc's and the discrepancy in maximum torque @ X rpm's is probably in excess of ~10 lbs or more between the two.

Appies to orangies, Mr. tb8100.

mag360
08-02-2008, 02:50 AM
The larger displacement and greater rotating mass of the big 19 will theoretically last longer and bog less.

jeffex
08-02-2008, 06:02 AM
$6399 was his price .. I think I'll look at a dealer that is going to continue to carry this line of mowers. the way the salesman talked they wanted to get rid of the machine right away but thats not a movit it out price to me. I may demo a 36" when I get back from vacation because it will replace my oldest piece of equipment. What I like aout the sentar is I could put a 36 and a 52 on my trailer that I have to put in my garage due to homeowners restrictions. I want to see the cut for myself before I make the big move to hydro big $$ machines. Dam shame because I love my toros. Liberty discount is near me and they carry the wright mowers so I'll be headed their way when I get back.

delphied
08-02-2008, 07:50 AM
$6399 was his price .. I think I'll look at a dealer that is going to continue to carry this line of mowers. the way the salesman talked they wanted to get rid of the machine right away but thats not a movit it out price to me. I may demo a 36" when I get back from vacation because it will replace my oldest piece of equipment. What I like aout the sentar is I could put a 36 and a 52 on my trailer that I have to put in my garage due to homeowners restrictions. I want to see the cut for myself before I make the big move to hydro big $$ machines. Dam shame because I love my toros. Liberty discount is near me and they carry the wright mowers so I'll be headed their way when I get back.

That sounds like the Channel partners price in mid winter to me. You can find those prices at wrightmfg.com. You will love mowing with one and most people like the cut.

jeffex
08-06-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm on vacation now but when I get back I will check the type of 19 hp Kaw the mower has and ask for a demo with it. I called Liberty discount and the quoted me $7400 for the 52" 19 .

cutedge
08-06-2008, 04:47 PM
We have 4 19/52 Standers and 2 Sentar sports and they have plenty of power for weekly and bi-weekly cuttings. We even bag with them and they work out great. It seems the trend these days is to have the most power available when actually all it is doing is drinking more gas. We had 52/23 and 52/25 ZTR's and cut our fuel costs 30% by switching to 19/52 Standers. If you are cutting normal grass like the mower is designed for the 19 won't bog. Going from a walk behind w/sulky to the sentar sport is gonna be a dream come true. Good luck with your purchase!

theWRIGHTcut
08-06-2008, 05:24 PM
i own the 36" sentar sport... so i have the option to ride or stand! it is truly and awesome mower... it's nimble but makes up for that with speed, plus the rapid deck height adjustment is so convenient... i can tell you one thing... i will own the full sized sentar next season, because i need a larger mower to tackle my larger accounts... wright makes a seriously awesome machine... right here in the USA! demo that mower and see what you think... it'll take a little getting used to, but then you won't wanna operate any other machine! when i think of wright i think of nothing less than the best quality commercial duty mower... the 52" sounds cool, but I think I would shoot for a larger engine size to go with the deck size... keep us updated on this!

jeffex
08-09-2008, 04:04 PM
not sure what "channel partners price in mid "winter means. good ? bad? just got back and I will look at demoing the machine this week

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 04:40 PM

as up and coming as bad boy seems to be i dont see it being too far down the road. they seem to keep up w/ the competition very well, and make a great product cheap. i see w/b and standers coming from bad boy in the near future, especially if they want to continue to move forward and grab their share of the market.

tlb9596
08-09-2008, 06:51 PM
as up and coming as bad boy seems to be i dont see it being too far down the road. they seem to keep up w/ the competition very well, and make a great product cheap. i see w/b and standers coming from bad boy in the near future, especially if they want to continue to move forward and grab their share of the market.

Yeah, I agree. They're putting the finishing touches on their MTV, and I feel they'll bring their focus back to their mower lineup. The MTV will keep their fabricators busy in the Fall and even busier in the Spring.

R&D is very busy up at Bad Boy. I think some of the first things we'll see is a revised engine lineup, including EFI specs. Can you imagine a 29 DFI Kawasaki on a Bad Boy? I bet they would be able to put a 29 DFI on a Bad Boy AOS in the 9s. That would be an incredible machine. Next I would expect the seat to be relocated down and back some. They'll never be down low like Scag or Hustler (I wish they would be).

The Stander market is still really small, but it's growing. As big players like Toro and others enter the Stander market, that's when we'll really see it take off I think. Bad Boy is very conservative and wants to be a part of a growing market, not a shrinking or stagnant market. This could be why they have not made a walk-behind or stander as of yet.

I would expect the first walk-behind to be a 36" as this is a really common size for them and they already have a 36" deck designed. We all know how cheap Gravely WBs are. Can you imagine how cheap a Bad Boy WB would be?? And you know it would be built tough as nails too.