PDA

View Full Version : What to Charge per square foot?

Sasserac
07-31-2008, 08:51 AM
I have a lady who is asking me to bid a job for landscaping. She wants me to put in a 180 square foot patio. Besides the materials how do you calculate for labor? What is the going rate per square foot? Anything would help!

Thanks

poiuy qwerty
07-31-2008, 09:11 AM
What type of patio? pavestone - flagstone - concrete - stamped concrete - etc?

Sasserac
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
Its Pavestone

ANC Stone Creations
07-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Just the pavers are about $3-up a sq ft, then you have base material 5/8"- and some crushed 1/4"- now you are at atleast $6 sq ft without labor.

Without seeing the ground conditions and assesibility it is hard to give you some numbers.

But, I would have to say the job should be around $2500- up depending on where you have to dump tear-out materials ( on-site or dump ).

Hope this helps you.

tcalb2
07-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Depending on the site, I'd be around $3,000.00 easy depending on pattern they pick out. You're better off bidding it a little higher if you're worried then bidding lower to get the job and getting beat up on the price. You kind of have to feel out the customer a little to see what their looking for. 180 sqaure foot patio is small so she might try to nickel and dime you. Average patio I do is closer to 400 sqaure feet and up. Those clients you can sometimes tighten the numbers because you're going to be their longer or you can mark up materials a little more. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

poiuy qwerty
07-31-2008, 08:30 PM
We charge $11 - $15/sq ft for pavestone work

Mike33
07-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Is 15.00 sq' with say paver 4.00 sq' a common price? I know location excavate haul away can change can vary price. I had a competitor who retired 2 years ago said he got 15 sq' and normally his prices was top end.
mike

Sasserac
08-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the advice. The way this is turning out is she has an existing patio of 12X10 and wants to extend it to 18x10. The existing is concrete so I will be going over that and then extending it out another 6 feet. Poiuy qwerty your saying 11-15 per sq foot is that just labor? How would you go over the existing patio? Put gravel all the way or just put sand down on the concrete and then try and meet the new base with the slab?

Thanks

DVS Hardscaper
08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
As stated over and over on this forum, you can not unit price a job.

Calculate your materials. All your materials.

Next, calculate your production hrs. In other words, you need to estimate how long you think it'll take you to do the work.

We never unit price patios or hardscapes for the matter.

But my estimating program does tell me how much the square foot price is for the job. It tells me this just for my own internal info.

A small walkway as you described will average around $25 / SF. This is with factoring in equipment mobilization, drive time to and fro per day per employee, turf restoration, a complete job, etc.

The larger the job, then sure, your average SF price will lower. The smaller the job - then the higher your SF price will average.

It costs the same amount of money to mobilize equipment whether you're building a 3,000 SF patio or you're doin a 350 SF patio. It costs the same for your supplier to deliver 3 pallets of material as it does for them to deliver 10 pallets.

Your fixed costs will offest the unit pricing. This is ONE (of many) reason why we do not unit price.

180 SF patio?? would average us no less then $25 / SF....