PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu Box trucks Like them or not?

SunState Lawn Care inc
07-31-2008, 12:58 PM
I am looking into buying a Box truck to make a Maint truck out of. I think it has all positives except the added cost of increased insurance and to me the free advertising should more then make up for that. Do any of you folks run these trucks if so how do you like them and would you go that route again?

Thanks!

larryinalabama
07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Im thinking of the same thing. My insurance rate is not a factor. I alos like the cutaway chev. vans. I missed a 2004 3500 van for 9k wish I would have bought it

Tadams
08-22-2008, 11:12 PM
I've got an Isuzu box truck with a dove tail that I work out of. I had a few concerns that I had before I bought it: 1. going up and down the ramp all day long 2.being too hot in the summer 3. filling up the mowers.

None of these have been an issue at all!! You don't even realize that there is a ramp there. It is cooler in the box because the sun is not beating down on you. The gas hose reaches into the box to fill up the mowers.

mag360
08-22-2008, 11:16 PM
To those who have employees driving the dovetail setups---how often do they hit things with that tail. Most of the ones I see have a lot of overhang past the rear axle which should equal a lot of tail swing. This is my biggest fear---a trailer you can see what it's doing (they still mess up with that too, though):hammerhead:

BrandonV
08-23-2008, 09:19 AM
we have a ford lcf and love it and we also have a mitfuso crew cab, love it also. There is really no better work truck than the cab overs.

Tadams
08-23-2008, 10:48 AM
To those who have employees driving the dovetail setups---how often do they hit things with that tail. Most of the ones I see have a lot of overhang past the rear axle which should equal a lot of tail swing. This is my biggest fear---a trailer you can see what it's doing (they still mess up with that too, though):hammerhead:

No one has hit anything yet, but the day aint over yet!:dizzy:. It is something that you have to stress to employees who drive the truck, but it is not really an issue.

Some of the good things about a box truck: rolling billboard, you can park in any parking spot, keeps equipment dry, a place to drain the main vein:clapping:, more professional appearance to potential customers, anyone can back it up, it turns around on a dime, no trailer lights to deal with.

tedfrk
08-23-2008, 09:12 PM
what do you do if you have leaf cleanups or need to bring landscaping supplies with you

ericmcj31
08-23-2008, 10:08 PM
the major plus -es of owning a box truck--are your stuff is in the dry all the time--at the end of the day-the box can be locked which is a MAJOR plus.

The only real minuses of owning them are if you need to grab a pallet of rock or mulch and you need access to the sides. The other thing is when you stop at a job-everyone has to get in the box and unload the mower, grab trimmers, edger, blower, etc.--as opposed to just grabbing them off the side of a trailer or open bed. So--my theory is you need a box truck with some type of side door or sliding door much like the one on the back so that everyone isn't climbing on top of each other at EVERY stop!

Tadams
08-23-2008, 11:07 PM
what do you do if you have leaf cleanups or need to bring landscaping supplies with you

Our leaf clean-ups are done every two weeks for our regular customers and the leaves are either mulched or dumped on site. We rarely have one time clean-ups that we have to haul away leaves, but if we dohave to remove the leaves then we will bring a trailer. If we have a landscaping job to do then we take a truck and trailer or have the material delivered. If it is a small job and we the material will fit in the box truck then it goes in there. But this is not what the thread was originally about. It was about runnning a maintence crew out of. If you every take the plunge and buy one you will never go back.

One other plus that I just thought of: Have you ever sat down on a mower and the seat is hotter than fire? No problemo with a box!

Tadams
08-23-2008, 11:19 PM
The other thing is when you stop at a job-everyone has to get in the box and unload the mower, grab trimmers, edger, blower, etc.--as opposed to just grabbing them off the side of a trailer or open bed. So--my theory is you need a box truck with some type of side door or sliding door much like the one on the back so that everyone isn't climbing on top of each other at EVERY stop!

We don't really have a problem with people falling over each other. We run a three man crew and here is how we normally do it. First of all we have three mowers- a ZTR at the front of the box (this one is used to bag or discharge), in the middle is another ZTR that is used to mulch with. On the back is a WB that has a mulch kit on it. If we need all three mowers we all grab a mower and take off. First one back starts trimming. If we need the WB and a ZTR then they are taken off and the person who is trimming either gets back there first and grabs a trimmer or waits for the mowers to come off. If we don't need the WB then the trimmer guy will snatch it off and wait for the riders to come off and then grab the trimmer. We work fast but I don't time everything down to the second. I have found that people will work their butts off for you if you show them that you are willing to work just as hard as they do and if you tell them that they are doing a good job every once in a while.

BrandonV
08-24-2008, 07:41 AM
i have to correct myself, we don't use van bodies (box) I thought you we referring to the boxiness of the cab itself. That being said they're still great, if we were in a more urban environment I'd have a van body instead of the landscaper style we have now, as far as leaves ours is a SNG so we put the dump body on

EA Quinn
08-24-2008, 10:02 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107531&d=1209478681

We switched one of our maintenance crews to this truck this year to try out. It has turned out to be a great investment. I know this isnt enclosed like you were talking, but we also have a second box truck that one of our landscape construction crews use, and it is the best way to go about hauling around tools and machines. Its a rolling billboard, you can keep all your tools in it, and the guys love it.

Grass Cake
08-24-2008, 02:47 PM
No one has hit anything yet, but the day aint over yet!:dizzy:. It is something that you have to stress to employees who drive the truck, but it is not really an issue.

Some of the good things about a box truck: rolling billboard, you can park in any parking spot, keeps equipment dry, a place to drain the main vein:clapping:, more professional appearance to potential customers, anyone can back it up, it turns around on a dime, no trailer lights to deal with.

This is a priceless feature that has saved me a ton of time overall!:drinkup:

Tadams
08-24-2008, 09:23 PM
This is a priceless feature that has saved me a ton of time overall!:drinkup:

What's up, E? Are you staying busy? What's been goin on in Cherokee County?

ericmcj31
08-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Todd-you in C'ville I see! I am in Rome---how's b'ness that way?

ericmcj31
08-24-2008, 10:30 PM
We don't really have a problem with people falling over each other. We run a three man crew and here is how we normally do it. First of all we have three mowers- a ZTR at the front of the box (this one is used to bag or discharge), in the middle is another ZTR that is used to mulch with. On the back is a WB that has a mulch kit on it. If we need all three mowers we all grab a mower and take off. First one back starts trimming. If we need the WB and a ZTR then they are taken off and the person who is trimming either gets back there first and grabs a trimmer or waits for the mowers to come off. If we don't need the WB then the trimmer guy will snatch it off and wait for the riders to come off and then grab the trimmer. We work fast but I don't time everything down to the second. I have found that people will work their butts off for you if you show them that you are willing to work just as hard as they do and if you tell them that they are doing a good job every once in a while.

I am just saying initially when you pull up to a site--everyone piles out of the truck and is basically waiting to get something to work with-as opposed to the open body where you just grab your trimmer/mower, etc. and go--there isn't one doorway to get into/out of-it's all out in the open

Tadams
08-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Todd-you in C'ville I see! I am in Rome---how's b'ness that way?

Not too bad at all, Eric. I come to Rome once a week to do a Bail Bonding office and a rental house of the owner. It's the only thing that we do in Rome- we take care of all of his offices. We will be up that way on Wed if it isn't raining. It's a few houses down from El Rayos. Are you stayin busy? I can give you a call and you can check out the truck if you are curious. Or give me a call and I'll tell you more about it. 770-547-7625. See ya!

Tadams
08-24-2008, 11:13 PM
I am just saying initially when you pull up to a site--everyone piles out of the truck and is basically waiting to get something to work with-as opposed to the open body where you just grab your trimmer/mower, etc. and go--there isn't one doorway to get into/out of-it's all out in the open

I see where you are coming from but ya need to check out our system. It works pretty good for us but we are used to it. I guess you can get used to anything!