PDA

View Full Version : Mulching - Where Do You Let Your Deck Dump?

JimQ
07-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Alright mulchers,

When mulching in average conditions, does your deck hold a large amount of clippings, then drop them where ever the PTO is dis-engaged? How do you deal with this? Am I just cutting off too much grass or is the grass too wet if this is happening? Any special mowing techniques required for mulching vs. side-discharge?

Here's a few more questions...

Do you prefer to have each blade individually chambered off or is it better to allow some cross flow between the chambers? What advantages are offered by each configuration?

Do "kickers" actually work or are they just a gimmick? Scag uses them in their "Eye of the Hurricane" mulch kit. Toro has them on their mulching 21's. Others may too.

Got a favorite mulching blade?

Sorry for so many questions, I typically side-discharge but would like to learn as much about mulching as I can. Thanks very much!

Q

Icepuck72
07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
I've never had to deal with this problem. I have an Exmark TTHP with the Trivantage deck. Has the stock mulching blades, nothing special and it cuts perfectly.

hexfactor
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
i have a hursqvarna 1z 4217 and found that once the lifted lip started wearing out on the blades is when the grass started to stick under the deck. Got new blades and the grass quit sticking. But when the grass did stick, most of my accounts have a vacant lot, or void are with weeds to dump grass. I hope those lots dont fill in,lol.

nosparkplugs
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
When I did mulch with Scags velcoity decks I would "dump" the deck in a inconspicuous spot on the customers yard them mulch that up, and hope they did no find it. Oh the blow out going over concrete gotta love that:laugh: Pain in the arse glad I no longer deal with this; although I get a grin no longer having to deal with mulcing, Walker GHS'N now :cool2:

topsites
07-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Yes, at times my mower deck will hold clippings in huge clumps but
it doesn't always wait for me to disengage the blades either :cry:

Don't know what to say exactly, I got to where I'd pick a spot off the side
like near the woods and let it drop a load LOL then keep going.
And that's exactly what I'm thinking too, time to take her to the woods,
QUICK before she has to take that dump! :p

Very frustrating, usually only happens if I wait too long between mows
and the grass is thick and wet and tall, too.
This very problem has turned a 45-minute lawn into 2 hours for me before :cry:

Yet another reason I prefer working in the afternoons,
may not be as cool but no morning dew.

Only other thing I do is use the blower later to disperse those clumps it
likes to drop 'wherever,' all in all a pretty decent pita but what can you do?

LawnMowerKing10
07-31-2008, 07:27 PM
I have 2 toro 21 inch mowers and I let them dump on the sidewalk then blow it away. I think the kickers do work well cause when I clean them off they are always stuffed with grass stuck to them

DaveinSWFL
07-31-2008, 07:33 PM
On St. Augustine in the early morning or after rain, sometimes the deck gets clogged. If there is an empty lot nearby I disengage and dump there. If there is no place to dump, then I disengage in the street and clean it up.

South Florida Lawns
07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
This is a very good question. I don't think it ever comes up on here. For me this happens a lot with thick wet grass in the mornings. Its not a big deal usually I just raise the deck a little to justify the longer grass. On my Toro in certain conditions the grass builds up and makes a buzzing sound. I go to a sidewalk and disengage the PTO. all the grass falls to the ground. I bag the big piles, or just blow them in the yard.

I think the eXmarks have the best mulching deck for our types of grass. I have never heard about anybody having buildup issues.

gthompson
07-31-2008, 10:29 PM
I had the mulch kit installed on my Titan Z Toro and have this problem quite a bit. Most of the lawns here are mixed with a lot of clover and if I let it get a little bit ahead of me or it is damp I get clumps on every turn and a big pile when I disengage the blades. I just bag the grass up and take it with me or dump it onsite if they have woods etc.

Whitey4
07-31-2008, 11:08 PM
With my Quick, it's all about how much I'm cutting and how wet the grass is. If it's too tall or too wet, I get a clogged deck, and it will sometimes dump when I ask it to, and sometimes on it's own.

I have found that I have to bag most of the time, and it isn't due to grass conditions, it's these dirty trees. Sycamores, sick trees with premature leaf drop, you name it.... I have to bag this crap or the property looks like chit. I am hoping that in August I can mulch.... but it isn't the grass height or wetness as much as it is these stinkin trees!

S man
08-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I have a lazer z hp with the triton deck and mulch with the mulch kit baffles and blades. I hear the notched high lifts work better so I ordered a set of them. Having each blade blocked off makes a much nicer cut. A block off plate offered by many including scag leaves bad results. I had the unfortunate experience of owning a dixon 34" comercial that actually had a trivantage looking deck. I thought it would cut and mulch great. Big mistake. It had a baffle but it was open in the center which let the grass go back and forth and wasen't getting mulched up clean enough. Also the gator was the only balde they offered for the mulch kit. Also when you turned it left a big clump of grass on top of the lawn. Which made me double cut and blow down the mulched up grass. It was a waste of time. The exmark phazer with trivantage works the best. It has a 5" deep deck with a REAL fully enclosed mulch kit. Both blades are fully blocked off and produce a beautiful cut. Also the big 19 hp works great in overgrown lawns. I was too stupid to relize I had the best 34" mower and bought the dixon. And now I'm back with exmark and have the lazer z. The triton three blade mulch kit works alright but the two blade trivantage is better.

stevo22
08-01-2008, 02:10 AM
very good question...i have a hustler super z, anti-blow out baffle, and use fusion flat blades...these mulch the best for me..anyway, i rarely do a zero turn, i use the 3-point turn and usually dump the mulched grass on every turn on the perimeter of the longest square of the section that i am cutting...once i am done with that section i make a pass on each end to disperse the mulched clippings from all of the 3-point turns...works really well...as far as turning the pto off, i usually do it near a concrete edge...that way when i am blowing off the concrete i can wave the redmax over the small pile and get rid of it...hope this helps..

sven1277
08-01-2008, 08:23 AM
My scag hurricane kit works great, even better than the old mulchmaster kit for the advantage deck. I also have a mulch kit on the wright zk and that works well too. Both are completely different designs and use different blades, but I like them both. The zk's kit does still allow some blow out on the discharge side, however, I can still use this mower to blow off driveways. The only time I have build up drop out is when the grass is really wet or in the rain. i still prefer the way this works to the side discharge scag, which throws out big random clumps.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
I mulch 100% of the time. When I sense grass clumping in the deck, I'll bump the deck up and down a few times... reverse over the clumps... then, mow over them again.

tb8100
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Sounds like Jim is burning up the R&D department somewhere! Guess he's perfected his monster deck and is perfecting a mulch kit for it now!

S man
08-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah but he tried selling me a pos dixon. They need to make a REAL deck with a REAL mulch kit.

tb8100
08-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah but he tried selling me a pos dixon. They need to make a REAL deck with a REAL mulch kit.

Who did? :confused:

S man
08-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Who did? :confused:

JimQ. He had one with no warranty or anything shipped for $3000. Something didn't sound right.

tb8100
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
JimQ. He had one with no warranty or anything shipped for $3000. Something didn't sound right.

aw I bet he's legit. He's been on this site forever.

JimQ
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Hey S-Man -
At one point you had expressed interest in a 34" BlackBear. I was just trying to help a fellow Lawnsite member out. No funny business I promise you. Glad to hear your Phazer is treating you well.

TB8100 - Working hard!, you know it! Thanks Bud.

Q

JimQ
08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh, sorry S man, I meant Lazer Z. Don't know why I was thinking Phazer. Maybe you had one before.

Anyway, back to mulching...

Do you prefer Gator type blades or reverse lift type? How about the combination type that Scag uses with their kit.

This seems like it would make one heck of a mulching blade.

Q

tb8100
08-01-2008, 03:32 PM
TB8100 - Working hard!, you know it! Thanks Bud.

Q

Knock 'em dead bro. I love to see new stuff hit the industry- :waving:

S man
08-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Oh, sorry S man, I meant Lazer Z. Don't know why I was thinking Phazer. Maybe you had one before.

Anyway, back to mulching...

Do you prefer Gator type blades or reverse lift type? How about the combination type that Scag uses with their kit.

This seems like it would make one heck of a mulching blade.

Q

Hey Jim, Yes the lazer is great. I just can't believe I got tricked into getting a dixon. It's not any of your fault because you were just trying to help. Thanks Anyway, I use the wavy mulch blades and they leave an ok cut. I'm trying the notched high lifts which I hear works the best for our grasses down here. I'll update when I get them. The gator I think does a horrible job mulching especially when the mulch kit is just a block off plate like the dixon had. Like I said everytime I turn the mower would leave clumps and rows of mulched up grass everywhere. It took forever to double cut and blow everything down after. With the lazer it's one pass and no blowing down.