PDA

View Full Version : what does an S185 burn per hour or 8 hr day.

81Bronk36
07-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Like the title... I just need a ballpark figure because I haven't a clue, I dont think I have operated a Skid long enough consecutively to even run down an entire tank by myself. I already know 24 gallons times $4.50 (believe thats about the price of offroad here) = 110 bucks.
Thank you in advance for the replies:clapping:

Junior M
07-31-2008, 06:34 PM
i have no clue!

but we can run our rented t190 backfilling pools for twelve hours on a tank of fuel course that isnt very hard work just pushing dirt around...

ARP
07-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Depending on what type of work you are doing and how hard you are working the machine, you could go through half a tank to almost a full tank in a day. After a recent job I did where I was running the machine (S185) full bore for 10 hrs hogging dirt, I went through almost 20 gal of fuel.

On a lighter job where I was able to use the foot throttle to regulate engine speed while grading, I used a little more than 1/4 of a tank in 4 hours.

Hope this helps!

Junior M
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
i have no clue!

but we can run our rented t190 backfilling pools for twelve hours on a tank of fuel course that isnt very hard work just pushing dirt around...
ok i was so freakn wrong it wasnt funny!! i was thinking of the excavator! haha

we usually almost empty it backfilling pools on a ten to twelve hour day..

bobcat_ron
07-31-2008, 07:19 PM
Those mid framed skids have a 28 gallon tank, 56 hp, so maybe 20 gallons in light stuff, but most builders here that have that fame size usually burn 15 gallons, but they don't use it as much.

81Bronk36
07-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys, it looks like I will put in $350 into the bid and bank on a little over 3 tanks for the 3 days of hauling branches and debris with a root/grapple thru the woods.

Junior M
07-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys, it looks like I will put in $350 into the bid and bank on a little over 3 tanks for the 3 days of hauling branches and debris with a root/grapple thru the woods.
want some help? haha i love hauling brush and trees with a grapple not sure why i just love!

81Bronk36
07-31-2008, 08:52 PM
want some help? haha i love hauling brush and trees with a grapple not sure why i just love!
last time I did it was the beginning of my first full summer operating... barely knew the pedals... old guy I was with dropped me off and went to go get something, told me where to put the debris so I hopped in and got to work. I kept noticing that the ride was really wavy but thought nothing of it. Turns out I had a flat tire the whole time that I never saw when I got in. Almost ruined the tire, they had to run a tube in it. I now check all tires every time :laugh: It was probably that 863's fault anyway.. that thing was the biggest lemon ever!!

bobcatuser
07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
With my S185 Iím averaging 1.5 to 2 Gallons/Hr. running 2400-2500 RPM. If I put tracks on, itís just over 3Gal/Hr.

Junior M
07-31-2008, 11:16 PM
last time I did it was the beginning of my first full summer operating... barely knew the pedals... old guy I was with dropped me off and went to go get something, told me where to put the debris so I hopped in and got to work. I kept noticing that the ride was really wavy but thought nothing of it. Turns out I had a flat tire the whole time that I never saw when I got in. Almost ruined the tire, they had to run a tube in it. I now check all tires every time :laugh: It was probably that 863's fault anyway.. that thing was the biggest lemon ever!!
thats the best way to learn!

that is the way dad taught me! well i shouldnt say taught me he just told me what to do and he walked off! haha

81Bronk36
08-01-2008, 04:43 PM
wow tracks bog it down a lot!!

ARP, where you from in MA??

ARP
08-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Bronk I'm south of Boston by about 30 mins in a town called Easton. Hope your job works out for ya!

81Bronk36
08-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Ya know the area a bit, thought you might have been a guy I went to school with but that was down on the Cape and 96-00.

ARP
08-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Ya sorry, I graduated a bit later. How ya likin Georgia? A bit different then the cape.

81Bronk36
08-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Its ok, I can make the best of just about anywhere as long as I got some friends. I just spent 5 years at Minot ND and would have stayed if I could (mostly because we just moved into a brand new house) But I dont think I would have started landscaping again if I was there.
I havent been to the cape in like 1 1/2- 2 years or so:nono:

ksss
08-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Its ok, I can make the best of just about anywhere as long as I got some friends. I just spent 5 years at Minot ND and would have stayed if I could (mostly because we just moved into a brand new house) But I dont think I would have started landscaping again if I was there.
I havent been to the cape in like 1 1/2- 2 years or so:nono:

"Why not Minot?"

It would be challenging to start a landscape business in Minot. Other than in oil it is not an easy place to make a good living. I grew up in Jamestown and it is not much different. Great place to live, not a great place to build a bank account. The other thing is no other place in the lower 48 will have Winters like you have experienced. When your on the East Coast and everyone bitches about the cold weather, you can laugh, "cold this aint cold, I know cold let me tell you........"

cajensen
08-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I always bust the hoses to the grapple after a few hours when I use it for clearing/ hauling brush. Am I the only one with that problem. Is it me/ bobcat. Any suggestions. I try to keep an eye on the hoses but I get going, forget and before I know it I have hydraulic fluid all over me.

ksss
08-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I always bust the hoses to the grapple after a few hours when I use it for clearing/ hauling brush. Am I the only one with that problem. Is it me/ bobcat. Any suggestions. I try to keep an eye on the hoses but I get going, forget and before I know it I have hydraulic fluid all over me.

FFC makes a hose routing stand that is a spring type rod that can either weld or bolt to the attachment. You bolt the hoses on to the rod and keeps the hoses out of the way, but has some spring to it so that it can give if you pull them tight. It may not be shown on their website, but if you email them, they can give you the part number and photo. They work well. I keep a couple on hand.

cajensen
08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks, I will check it out.

SiteSolutions
08-04-2008, 12:25 AM
I have to replace a long hose from the loader to the bucket about every six months. I replace a short hose from the block to the cylinder on the bucket about every year. I try to keep one of each in the truck all the time.

I always hate it when it happens but it is a fact of life that the occasional unexpected object will get your hoses when trying to work with trash or brush. So I try to remember that when pricing, I always add in a little extra on clearing or demo jobs cause i know I am probably going to have to fix something before it is over...

stuvecorp
08-04-2008, 12:32 AM
"Why not Minot?"

It would be challenging to start a landscape business in Minot. Other than in oil it is not an easy place to make a good living. I grew up in Jamestown and it is not much different. Great place to live, not a great place to build a bank account. The other thing is no other place in the lower 48 will have Winters like you have experienced. When your on the East Coast and everyone bitches about the cold weather, you can laugh, "cold this aint cold, I know cold let me tell you........"

Just after tech school I got a job offer from Wedgcor?(steel building company) to be a drafter in Jamestown. Isn't the Harley rakes made there, too? Was a nice place but I'm not a cowboy so went back to Wisconsin. My friend settled in Ashley, supposed to go visit sometime.

81Bronk36
08-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Good advice guys, I will be renting so I don't have to worry about repairs, just if I bust it in the begginning and they cant get it fixed for me that would suck! I will be careful though.

My wife is in Minot right now and she says its booming... Oil or Ethanol... something is going nuts up there right now I dont remember what.