PDA

View Full Version : Toro 300-1 Stream Question

dhess
07-31-2008, 07:51 PM
I was working on a repair job today on a Toro system and ran across the toro 300 series (Stream Rotor). 2 had stopped rotating and one got hit probably by mower or edger at one time (not our company, really!)

anyway I don't even carry toro stuff in my van...

Are these things still even made? Local Ewing had only 15 in stock...unknown if they could order more (not that I needed that many).

Is the XP300 the replacement?

these discontinued?

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Yes, 300's are still made, and they are still the most reliable gear-drive rotor.

XP-300 is a longer-throw version, and not applicable for replacing 300 rotors.

Mike Leary
07-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Ditto that, never pull a Stream-Rotor out of the ground. They make three nozzles;
01, 02, 03...measure the head to head distance, use the the 02 if the contractor knew
what he was doing. They make a couple of low-flow nozzles if pressure is a problem.
We wave at Ed Hunter every time someone mentions our beloved Stream-Rotors.

irrig8r
07-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Seems Mr Leary and I have very different views about this one...

I find that nine times out of 10 the installer and/or designer spaced them wrong.

I find the RB 3500 is a good replacement when new construction in the neighborhood has lowered water pressure to the point that 300's don't turn very well or throw as far as they used to.

Of course, you have to change them all...

I gave away all my remaining arc discs and nozzles via something called freecycle.com last year. I'm done with Toro 300s. I'm tired of all the gummed ups gears, etc.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Longhorn in Round Rock should have some Stream Rotors. If not they can have them shipped from the Plano store. I know, I just loaded up on a few for repairs.

Wet_Boots
07-31-2008, 08:56 PM
I generally don't see crappy 300 installs, because most installers willing to put up with the 300's learning curve don't want to waste their time installing crappy work.

DanaMac
07-31-2008, 09:13 PM

I find that nine times out of 10 the installer and/or designer spaced them wrong.

I find the RB 3500 is a good replacement when new construction in the neighborhood has lowered water pressure to the point that 300's don't turn very well or throw as far as they used to.

Seems Mr. Cantanese and I have very different views about the 3500 :)

I'm tired of replacing 3500s that I just installed that leak outrageously at the wiper seals or just stop turning. No more mini rotors. Period.

dhess
07-31-2008, 09:34 PM
this was a homeowner install according to neighbor. Spacing maybe between 24 thru 28 ft. Spacing is screwed in a few spots but I think the coverage will be good enough after straightening some of the heads.

I was tempted to use mp rotator as replacements for ones that weren't rotating, but looks like the PR rates are a lot higher on the 300s. I guess these aren't a low pressure solution then?

I also saw for the first time a toro nozzle with 5 adjustment screws. 4 placed on each side of nozzle and middle adjust flow screw. It seemed cool at first until I started adjusting them. They were used for end and center strips...spaced almost 20 ft in places :(

They still make these too?

fimco thanks for headsup. I really need to make a small kit of toro stuff someday...

Waterit
07-31-2008, 10:22 PM

I find that nine times out of 10.

Now THERE'S a big surprise.

Waterit
07-31-2008, 10:26 PM
No more mini rotors. Period.

Does that include MP's?

I also saw for the first time a toro nozzle with 5 adjustment screws. 4 placed on each side of nozzle and middle adjust flow screw. It seemed cool at first until I started adjusting them. They were used for end and center strips...spaced almost 20 ft in places :(

fimco thanks for headsup. I really need to make a small kit of toro stuff someday...

1. Those old Toro adjustables were great for dialing in wierd patterns but somewhat of a PITA to adjust when running.

2. Why do you need a Toro kit? Maybe some stuff for the 300's, but everything else they've made in the past 20 years is junk, IMO.

bicmudpuppy
07-31-2008, 10:39 PM
this was a homeowner install according to neighbor. Spacing maybe between 24 thru 28 ft. Spacing is screwed in a few spots but I think the coverage will be good enough after straightening some of the heads.

I was tempted to use mp rotator as replacements for ones that weren't rotating, but looks like the PR rates are a lot higher on the 300s. I guess these aren't a low pressure solution then?

Stream rotors precip rates fall about dead center between the average well designed rotors and pure sprays. They have there quirks, but they are still the prettiest resi head ever made. I love the feel of being in the middle of the golf course with 30 or more 90' radius heads rotating around me. A stream rotor setup in your back yard gives you a similar feel from the back porch.

Your 5 screw toro head is the old toro adjustable spray nozzle. The 4 outside adjustment screws are to open or close that portion of the nozzle. The center screw works the same as all the other spray nozzles.

CAPT Stream Rotar
07-31-2008, 10:52 PM
you rang kind sir.

If you got the dough to pony up the are a gerat head for shrub beds....

dhess
08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Does that include MP's?

1. Those old Toro adjustables were great for dialing in wierd patterns but somewhat of a PITA to adjust when running.

2. Why do you need a Toro kit? Maybe some stuff for the 300's, but everything else they've made in the past 20 years is junk, IMO.

any other company make adjustable nozzles like those older toro 5 screw ones that are compatiable with rainbird/hunter heads? I wouldn't mind having some of those.

toro kit...

every now and then I run across a toro head that I typically just replace with rainbird/hunter gear....sometimes its one of those heads you just can't repair easily (roots, rock, ect) so in order to fix a simple faulty clogged/broken toro nozzle turns into more work than its worth.

Mike Leary
08-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Seems Mr Leary and I have very different views about this one... I find that nine times out of 10 the installer and/or designer spaced them wrong.

That is too true, but no reason to badmouth the coolest head on the planet,
with lotsa pressure & gallons and tight spacing, they still out perform every
head on the market, even if Toro makes it.

irrig8r
08-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Seems Mr. Cantanese and I have very different views about the 3500 :)

I'm tired of replacing 3500s that I just installed that leak outrageously at the wiper seals or just stop turning. No more mini rotors. Period.

You could at least spell my name correctly... remember... it's Sicilian, not Chinese..

irrig8r
08-01-2008, 10:14 PM
That is too true, but no reason to badmouth the coolest head on the planet,
with lotsa pressure & gallons and tight spacing, they still out perform every
head on the market, even if Toro makes it.

I used to install them myself back in the 80s. And I bet where you have broad expanses of turf with parallel rows of heads and all the same "nozzles" (tops) they would do OK. Especially on slopes.

I've just seen too many installations where 300s and 570s were on the same zone, to make up for the odd little corners and curves that LAs with too much school and not enough field experience like to throw in... though I suspect now they could use RB rotary nozzles or MP 1000s to do those and be fine...

But mostly I'm talking about installations I've run across that were installed 15 to 20 years ago, because frankly, PGPs have been the standard around here since.

A lot of customers loved the 300s ...one called them his "Dancing Waters" and would run manual cycles and sit in a lounge chair by the pool to watch... :rolleyes:

DanaMac
08-02-2008, 04:12 PM
You could at least spell my name correctly... remember... it's Sicilian, not Chinese..

Doh!!! I hate that since mine gets butchered all the time - Adoretti

Mike Leary
08-02-2008, 04:14 PM
How do you think I feel about people using the word, "leery"?

Wet_Boots
08-02-2008, 04:20 PM
How do you think I feel about people using the word, "leery"?They start humming "Legend of a Mind" :dizzy:

Mike Leary
08-02-2008, 04:30 PM
They start humming "Legend of a Mind" :dizzy:

Boy, that was a quick trip to the grocery store.

Wet_Boots
08-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Big sale on sweet corn

Mike Leary
08-02-2008, 04:40 PM
"I'll be here all week, try the crow."