PDA

View Full Version : Spreader Settings

born2farm
07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
I have a Scotts AP2000 spreader and would like to know what setting vs. pound per acre or however you go about setting/callibrating them. me and my boss are going to be new to fert next year and i already had the spreader so were going to try and use it untill we get some buisness built up

LushGreenLawn
07-31-2008, 07:39 PM
That spreader is going to last about 20 lawns, and is going to lose calibration quickly. If you can't afford $350 for a decent spreader, you are not serious about being in business.

That being said, mark off 1000 sq ft in your own yard, weigh the amount that you want to put down for that 1000 sq ft, for example, 5 pounds. Spread it over the area.

You will then repeat this over dofferent areas in your lawn until you get it right, should have it by the second or third try. With that spreader I would do this about every 5 lawns.

RigglePLC
07-31-2008, 07:42 PM
You have to do it for yourself. Weigh out 10 pounds. (Get your dealer to help with scales if needed.) Apply on a measured 1000 sqft. Weigh again. Adjust up or down until you are applying the desired amont per 1000 feet. Repeat until consistent within 10 percent.

born2farm
07-31-2008, 07:55 PM
well i was just going to attempt to use this spreader but if it is not going to be consistent at all we will probably buy a better spreader. we havnt got into the buiness yet. he is taking his test in the spring and i will take mine as soon as i can.

rcreech
07-31-2008, 08:02 PM
It doesn't matter what "quality of spreader" you use...you will still have to calibrate it for every product you use.

I am sure the one you have will be fine (if it is a commercial spreader).

Not only is this a MUST to make sure you don't over or under apply, but also with the cost of product these days, you want to be on the MONEY!

born2farm
07-31-2008, 08:26 PM
ya i know i will need to set any spreader. i was under the impression that my spreader was a commercial spreader but maybe im wrong.

guess ill just use my spreader for salt.

naughty62
08-01-2008, 05:10 AM
scott or anderson product ap 2000 are good professional spreaders someone must be thinking about the little home owner toys you can by at a yard sale .

naughty62
08-01-2008, 05:54 AM
Most supplier dont want to fidle around with ordering calbration key and complete instruction on a older spreader they want sell you a new .a couple years ago a guy post a number to a outfit where you can get parts, such as instructions and calibration key .614 559 2705 .good luck ,Ihave no Idea who will answer the phone or where they are located . model numder is on the slide bar rate adjuster .

LushGreenLawn
08-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Opps,

I was thinking of the Scotts Speedy 2000 sold at lowes for around $30, cheap POS.

born2farm
08-01-2008, 08:33 PM
ya i thought this was a commercial spreader. i only paid 50 or 60 bux for it at an auction:weightlifter:

so to calibrate it to say 4lb/1000sq ft, i mark off 1000sq ft and fill the spreader with 4lb of material. by the time im done with the 1000sq ft i should be out of material. if i have some left open the holes a little bit if i run out close them a tad.

rcreech
08-01-2008, 08:40 PM
ya i thought this was a commercial spreader. i only paid 50 or 60 bux for it at an auction:weightlifter:

so to calibrate it to say 4lb/1000sq ft, i mark off 1000sq ft and fill the spreader with 4lb of material. by the time im done with the 1000sq ft i should be out of material. if i have some left open the holes a little bit if i run out close them a tad.

Only one thing there little buddy....

Are you planning on applying pesticides?

I see you are 15 years old, so you might check as I am sure you will not be able to get licensed.

You can apply straight fert...but no pesticides.

born2farm
08-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Only one thing there little buddy....

Are you planning on applying pesticides?

I see you are 15 years old, so you might check as I am sure you will not be able to get licensed.

You can apply straight fert...but no pesticides.

i will not be applying anything untill i get my license..to big of a risk. i own the spreader and trying to figure out how to set it up. my boss who will be 22 is getting his license in the spring. i am going to do some checking to see if i can get mine..if not ill just apply straight fert when needed and get it when i turn 18.

but would that be setting it right?

LushGreenLawn
08-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Thats how I do it, just make sure its right before you get to the first customers house, not while in it.

What are you guys going to do about weed control? Really, customers care more about the weed control than the fertilizer. You will need a way to spray a liquid weed control product, as granular is not going to cut it in a professional environment. Your boss will need to be the one to spray for weeds after he's licensed.

born2farm
08-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Thats how I do it, just make sure its right before you get to the first customers house, not while in it.

What are you guys going to do about weed control? Really, customers care more about the weed control than the fertilizer. You will need a way to spray a liquid weed control product, as granular is not going to cut it in a professional environment. Your boss will need to be the one to spray for weeds after he's licensed.

we are doing a lot of research right now because i dont know squat about fert and squirt. we are looking at some spraying set ups for the frong of zero turns untill we can get the market for a Perma Green or something.

So what types of fertilizers are you saying i can spread without a license? I didnt think i could spread anything/

rcreech
08-02-2008, 02:25 PM
we are doing a lot of research right now because i dont know squat about fert and squirt. we are looking at some spraying set ups for the frong of zero turns untill we can get the market for a Perma Green or something.

So what types of fertilizers are you saying i can spread without a license? I didnt think i could spread anything/

You can spread ANY fertilizer....it just can't contain ANY pesticides.

If it contains a pre, insecticide or post product...you have to be licensed.

Any PLAIN ol fert you can apply.

As stated...most homeowners care more about getting rid of weeds, then a thick green lawn for the most part.

The key is to get rid of the weeds and make it a thick green lawn so you will have less weeds to take care of in the future.

born2farm
08-02-2008, 02:29 PM
You can spread ANY fertilizer....it just can't contain ANY pesticides.

If it contains a pre, insecticide or post product...you have to be licensed.

Any PLAIN ol fert you can apply.

As stated...most homeowners care more about getting rid of weeds, then a thick green lawn for the most part.

The key is to get rid of the weeds and make it a thick green lawn so you will have less weeds to take care of in the future.

ok so i can apply Nitrogen and such. thanks for the help

RigglePLC
08-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Born,
Good luck--you sound like you will do a great job. Start studying for your pesticide license when you are 17 and a half.

When you calibrate you cannot put in four pounds and just apply to 1000 sqft. The last pound or two does not come out. It stays in the spreader until you shake the devil out of it. Use plenty of extra. Weigh it before and after and find the difference used. Pour it out of the spreader into a bucket and weigh it.

If you don't have small scales, use bathroom scales--BUT--use 20 pounds and cover 3000 sqft. Then the accuracy would be adequate. You may want to lift the spreader--stand on the scales--and get an assistant to record the difference. I hope you are strong. :laugh:

If you have a big lawn or two--use a whole bag. 50 pounds. No scales needed. Use a measuring wheel and carefully measure the area covered. If it is not 12,500 sqft adjust up or down and do it again. For best results use a stopwatch to measure speed of walk. Use a steel tape to measure the swath width, center to center and wheel to wheel. If you can get it within 10 percent three times in a row--you are better than most professionals.

born2farm
08-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Born,
Good luck--you sound like you will do a great job. Start studying for your pesticide license when you are 17 and a half.

When you calibrate you cannot put in four pounds and just apply to 1000 sqft. The last pound or two does not come out. It stays in the spreader until you shake the devil out of it. Use plenty of extra. Weigh it before and after and find the difference used. Pour it out of the spreader into a bucket and weigh it.

If you don't have small scales, use bathroom scales--BUT--use 20 pounds and cover 3000 sqft. Then the accuracy would be adequate. You may want to lift the spreader--stand on the scales--and get an assistant to record the difference. I hope you are strong. :laugh:

If you have a big lawn or two--use a whole bag. 50 pounds. No scales needed. Use a measuring wheel and carefully measure the area covered. If it is not 12,500 sqft adjust up or down and do it again. For best results use a stopwatch to measure speed of walk. Use a steel tape to measure the swath width, center to center and wheel to wheel. If you can get it within 10 percent three times in a row--you are better than most professionals.

a lot of great info there...thanks for the tips. im hoping to get all the equipment lined up when im 17. we should start doing apps next year with my boss running.