PDA

View Full Version : Poor customer service=lost sale

C4chris70
07-31-2008, 08:29 PM
Went to my dealer today to purchase the 34 Gravely pro-stance only to be greeted by a salesman that knew nothing about the mower. Told me the fixed deck height was adjusted by a lever, then told me the fixed deck was not adjustable at all. When I asked to speak to someone that knew about the product they were selling he said they were too busy with paper work. Do you believe this! I told him forget it and walked out.

I really don't want to buy this mower from them anymore, but they are the only Gravely dealer near me. Also the $300 free gas card promo expired today. Should I speak to the owner (who is a friend of mine) and let him know what happened, and give him a chance to honor the gas coupon or give me an additional $300 off? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

LushGreenLawn
07-31-2008, 08:45 PM
I would, especially if he's a friend. He might want to know that his emplyee didn't want to take the time to go get him in the first place. BTW, how much are those things? I've been thinking about one as a second mower.

mtcjb
07-31-2008, 08:48 PM
If the owner is a friend of yours and you want to do business there, then this is in my opinion a no brainer. You call your friend at home tonight and tell him of your experience, if his response as a friend was anything less than selling you the mower at cost and making sure the mower paperwork was dated today (since you are actually making the deal today) so that you can get the gas card then I would write the guy off as someone who likes your cash and nothing more. Hope this isn't the case but this is my thought on the situation.

LushGreenLawn
07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
At Cost? Do you mow all of your friends at cost?

Come on now, a discount mabye, but his friends got to stay in business.

My uncle owns a trailer dealership, and on items for my personal use, I get them at cost, but for the business... I deal with a salesman like a regular customer out of respect, I am using the stuff to make money!

K/B
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
At cost? Frankly, that's ridiculous. Now, by all means call him up and tell you of your experience! If he cares at all, he will do everything he can to satisfy you, but to expect him to sell the mower at cost is unreasonable.

C4chris70
07-31-2008, 09:16 PM
The price was $5095 minus the $300 gas card. I'm not looking to get the mower at cost, I understand he needs to make a living as well. I just want the mower at the price I would have purchased it at today. However I have been told there is almost no profit in mower sales, so discounting it an additional $300 may not be an option for him if this is true.

Texas Mower Parts
07-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Half of the $300 came out of his pocket anyways. Gravely covered the other half.

C4chris70
08-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Update: Told the owner what had happened yesterday and he was very suprised and apologetic. He does not participate in the $300 gas card promo. He did however give me a great deal on the mower as he did on my previous Gravely. It's a done deal! I pick the mower up tomorrow.

Jason Rose
08-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Congrats on the new mower! Glad you got the deal to go through. I know it's frustrating when you are ready to actually BUY and no one cares.

You will have to post a few pics!

lawnwizards
08-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Update: Told the owner what had happened yesterday and he was very suprised and apologetic. He does not participate in the $300 gas card promo. He did however give me a great deal on the mower as he did on my previous Gravely. It's a done deal! I pick the mower up tomorrow.

if you wanted the mower so bad, why did you let someone who didnt know anything about it stop you from buying it? if you did your research, then you should've already known the specs on it. you sound about as stubborn as me. i'll buy it my way or no way. :laugh:

C4chris70
08-03-2008, 09:48 AM
if you wanted the mower so bad, why did you let someone who didnt know anything about it stop you from buying it? if you did your research, then you should've already known the specs on it. you sound about as stubborn as me. i'll buy it my way or no way. :laugh:

I'll admit that I am stubborn. I just got frustrated that someone who knew nothing about the mower was giving me miss information and would not put me in touch with someone who knew. There are other dealers in the area, but not close by. I prefer to purchase my equipment from a dealer that is convenient for warranty work. I know most dealers don't like to do warranty work on units purchased elsewhere, and some will send you back to where you bought it. During the sale, another dealer 50 miles away called me and offered me the mower for $400 less than what I paid, but I was happy with the deal I had already worked out with the owner. I feel he took care of me and always had in the past with my other Gravley (which never needed anything but a belt in 4 years).

topsites
08-03-2008, 11:12 AM
If the owner and you get along this isn't that unusual sometimes they get inexperienced hires,
it happens, just have to be patient, work with these guys best you can.

I learned I can't always expect that first-class service we get so spoiled on,
and it can come off at the wrong time and I get royal frustrated but then I am
thinking this is part of what goes into building a relationship.

As for the $300...
It bites, I am sure it does, but it's not that big of a deal.
I would speak to the owner, and I might mention this part too...
But if in the end I still wanted that 48" I would buy it regardless.

brandtb1
08-04-2008, 01:15 PM
I think you did the right thing by letting the owner know. I would want to purchase from them if they did the work and not have to drive 50 miles to your dealer. Glad to hear that the dealer took care of you.

Cranky Bait
08-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I know your frustration we have two dealers in my area. One has low cost on new machines service is terrible. The other is great service gives you a loaner and everything to keep you mowing. I know there is value in this but he always wants nearly $1000 more when it comes time to purchasing a new unit. I don't get his business plan.