PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat T300 CTL: Your opinions please!

Mowingman
07-31-2008, 07:36 PM
The owner of a ranch where I am doing contract clearing, has agreed to buy a compact track loader for me to use. I am stacking logs with a root grapple, and will be doing a lot of mowing with a 6' heavy duty Ambusher mower. The ranch ,will be using it with a tree shear and a post hole digger a lot, after I am done with the clearing.
We have looked at a lot of different track machines, and Bobcat is not one of my favorites. However, the local dealer has a used 2005, T300, with 1800hrs. on it at a good price. The dealer has installed new tracks and undercarriage. It has a closed cab with good cold A/C. Has hand/foot controls, and no high flow option.
Anyone have experience with one of these T300's. It looks to be a pretty clean, well cared for machine. Our other options are Gehl, Deere, or NH. None of those dealers have any used machines with closed cabs.

Junior M
07-31-2008, 07:47 PM
The owner of a ranch where I am doing contract clearing, has agreed to buy a compact track loader for me to use. I am stacking logs with a root grapple, and will be doing a lot of mowing with a 6' heavy duty Ambusher mower. The ranch ,will be using it with a tree shear and a post hole digger a lot, after I am done with the clearing.
We have looked at a lot of different track machines, and Bobcat is not one of my favorites. However, the local dealer has a used 2005, T300, with 1800hrs. on it at a good price. The dealer has installed new tracks and undercarriage. It has a closed cab with good cold A/C. Has hand/foot controls, and no high flow option.
Anyone have experience with one of these T300's. It looks to be a pretty clean, well cared for machine. Our other options are Gehl, Deere, or NH. None of those dealers have any used machines with closed cabs.
if you are goin to get a machine you might as well get what you want...

and i have never ran a t300 so i cant really say much about the quality..

wanabe
07-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Just wait, I am sure bobcat ron will fill you in! Even though it will outwork his cat all day, I am sure it will be junk.

Junior M
07-31-2008, 07:56 PM
now remember he thinks cat is so awesome!! so his cat will out work the 300! no matter what the conditions!!

bobcat_ron
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I'd go for the Deere over the Bobcat, 1800 hours for a CTL is bad, it might look good, but lift the loader up and shake the machine side to side, there's gonna be some slop in either the idler guides or the pins in the loader.

Mowingman
07-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Yes, I have to go have a closer look at the Bobcat. Since the landowner is purchasing this, I only have so much say in it. I would go for the Deere myself, but they have no used ones. The landowner is looking at trying to save some money by going with a used machine.

I'd go for the Deere over the Bobcat, 1800 hours for a CTL is bad, it might look good, but lift the loader up and shake the machine side to side, there's gonna be some slop in either the idler guides or the pins in the loader.

dozerman21
07-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Mowingman- I had a T300 until I traded it in a couple of years ago for a Deere. It was an O.K. machine. Definetly not as powerful as my Deere and several others on the market, but I moved a lot of dirt with it and it did the job. I never liked the AHC controls I had on it. I had some electrical repairs on it right after warranty ran out that Bobcat wouldn't make good on. The engine is also very noisy and access to it wasn't very good. Overall it was O.K., but there are several others I would prefer over it.

Having said all that, are you sure you need a CTL? It seems like a wheeled skid might serve you just as well, especially if traction and stability isn't an issue.

Mowingman
07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Traction, stability, and flat tires are big issues. They mow a lot of the cleared acreage with a 20' batwing and 140hp tractor. However, we have some creeks with very steep banks that have to be mowed, as well as some low drainage areas that stay wet most of the year. All these areas are full of thorny growth and tires do not stand a chance. I had 6 flats in 3 days with the current old NH machine. Today I was mowing with a Bobcat 300, tire machine. It has brand new, heavy duty tires, so no flats today. Of course, I stuck it in the creek twice and had to get pulled out. and, this is the dry season here.
Also, most of the wood we are stacking, (stuff too big to shred with mulcher), is full of thorns, really big thorns. It is Honey Locust and Mesquite. Thorns everywhere.

CAT powered
07-31-2008, 10:35 PM
I used one with a FECON mower on the front. It held a slope VERY well. I was on slopes where my knees were hurting because they were digging in below the front window, but the T300 held the hill. I can't say anything for long-term durability or anything, but it worked for the 20 hours a day I used it. (That rental wasn't cheap) The only issue was I got too much fluff in the radiator and had to blow it out.

Junior M
07-31-2008, 11:13 PM
I used one with a FECON mower on the front. It held a slope VERY well. I was on slopes where my knees were hurting because they were digging in below the front window, but the T300 held the hill. I can't say anything for long-term durability or anything, but it worked for the 20 hours a day I used it. (That rental wasn't cheap) The only issue was I got too much fluff in the radiator and had to blow it out.
but that fluff happens with about any brand so it is really just something you deal with when doing that type of work...

CAT powered
08-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Oh yea. I wasn't trying to blame the machine for me driving through stuff that would clog the radiator. It was a fairly simple fix. I just brought out the air compressor and blew the radiator out and she was good to go.

Mr. Rain
08-01-2008, 06:23 PM
I just brought out the air compressor and blew the radiator out and she was good to go.

If plugged radiators is going to be an ongoing concern, this would be another area I think you'd see a benefit in the Deere design. The radiator and oil cooler are vertical and separate when the door is opened, so cleanout is very fast and easy. A/C condenser is by itself on the top engine compartment door, so it's easy to blow out as well. The CT332 will blow the doors off a T300. If your dealer doesn't have one, he should be able to get one from another dealer.

bobcat_ron
08-01-2008, 06:30 PM
If plugged radiators is going to be an ongoing concern, this would be another area I think you'd see a benefit in the Deere design. The radiator and oil cooler are vertical and separate when the door is opened, so clean out is very fast and easy. A/C condenser is by itself on the top engine compartment door, so it's easy to blow out as well. The CT332 will blow the doors off a T300. If your dealer doesn't have one, he should be able to get one from another dealer.

Radiators will still plug up no matter who's name is on the machine or how the radiators are stacked or which way the air blows, if Deere blows from the engine bay out, that means they will plug up from the inside, like wise if they suck air in, it'll plug from the out side. I do recall reading about Deere's reversing fan, but they use an electric fan for that.

Bobcat is the worst for radiator clean out, triple stacking the radiators, A/C radiator on top, oil and coolant, it's no wonder Bobcat's A/C never gets cold enough for some people, it's sitting right on top of the already smoking hot oil radiator.
Deere, Cat and NH all have the best systems, one (if not 2) radiators and a remote A/C system either behind the cab up high or between the cab and engine like Cat has.

CAT powered
08-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I've run a CT332 and a T300 and I preferred the T300. The CT332 was just very uncomfortable. You HAD to have the seatbelt clicked in versus just the flip down bar. Plus it didn't have the bar to rest my arms on. The door just plain SUCKED. I'm 6'0 and it just wasn't comfortable at all. I could hardly fit my feet inside as I was trying to get in then the door would have smacked me in the head if I hadn't tilted my head at a really weird angle. Overall I was pretty disappointed in the Deere. I was using the T300 with a heavier attachment that required more GPM and it still out-performed a CT332 using a lighter attachment using less GPM. Both machines were set up with pilot controls and the Bobcat was just overall superior to the Deere.

That all being said. I wouldn't trade my CAT 236B for any tracked POS from Bobcat or Deere. I forgot to include that I knocked some lights off the roof of the Deere and the Bobcat didn't have any adjustment in the lights. The CAT throws more light than you could ever believe when you're got the fronts and backs on. Plus they're protected, but still fully adjustable.

Mowingman
08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
We demoed the Bobcat T300 CTL last week. It was an impressive machine and handled better than either the Gehl, or J.D. machines we tried out. The A/C blew nice and cold even with temps at 106 degrees. Looks like we are getting the Bobcat and a heavy duty, 72" Ambusher mower for it.
The dealer told us to make a list of everything we saw that needed attantion. They will fix everything we list, service it, and deliver it out to us later this week.
I found out during the demo, that it has a switch where you can change from foot controls to hand controls. That is pretty handy. Can't wait to get it into service.

YellowDogSVC
08-12-2008, 11:14 PM
We demoed the Bobcat T300 CTL last week. It was an impressive machine and handled better than either the Gehl, or J.D. machines we tried out. The A/C blew nice and cold even with temps at 106 degrees. Looks like we are getting the Bobcat and a heavy duty, 72" Ambusher mower for it.
The dealer told us to make a list of everything we saw that needed attantion. They will fix everything we list, service it, and deliver it out to us later this week.
I found out during the demo, that it has a switch where you can change from foot controls to hand controls. That is pretty handy. Can't wait to get it into service.

I just got a 330 and found there is lot more power in that motor than the specs say. I ran the s300's for a couple of years and the 330 really is a big step up when grinding. My machine on the meter is 39 gpm at 3450 psi and doesn't want to bog down. My 300 was 37 gpm at 3300 psi and bogged down all the time with the 202 ci motor. Have you tried the 320?

Tigerotor77W
08-13-2008, 11:54 AM
YellowDog: sounds like S330>272C in your experience... that fair to say?

And I'm somewhat surprised to hear a Bobcat owner say that a Bobcat CTL felt better in a demo than a Deere -- around here, normally it seems like it's the other way around (and by a long shot).

Just an observation; not trying to start any bashing... I'm actually happy to see some positive comments about Bobcat for once!

Junior M
08-13-2008, 12:38 PM

And I'm somewhat surprised to hear a Bobcat owner say that a Bobcat CTL felt better in a demo than a Deere -- around here, normally it seems like it's the other way around (and by a long shot).

Just an observation; not trying to start any bashing... I'm actually happy to see some positive comments about Bobcat for once!
i am to!! usually its ooo my power tan or crapapillar has this or this and i love it cuz my old bobcat was a piece!!!!

mrsops
08-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I just got a 330 and found there is lot more power in that motor than the specs say. I ran the s300's for a couple of years and the 330 really is a big step up when grinding. My machine on the meter is 39 gpm at 3450 psi and doesn't want to bog down. My 300 was 37 gpm at 3300 psi and bogged down all the time with the 202 ci motor. Have you tried the 320?

i told you yellow that you would like the s330 alot better. I love that machine it has a ton of power

mrsops
08-13-2008, 05:14 PM

now its the total opposite around here all you see is bobcat ctl and you got your cat here and there but never a deere ctl nobody likes them

Tigerotor77W
08-13-2008, 06:50 PM
never a deere ctl nobody likes them

What's the gist of why they don't like them?

(to be taken with a grain of salt, naturally, but I am curious...)

Nelson M Martin
08-13-2008, 07:02 PM

Everybody to his own choice of machine! But i have had good success with a T300. In the 11 months or 1050 hours i have used the t300 it has provided me with good power and the ability to get the job done.
I am trading it in to the dealer for an upgrade "" T320"" fully loaded
its the options i dont have on the t300 that make me want the t320.
Such as hi flow and the extra HP would be handy in some of the heavy work loads

mrsops
08-13-2008, 07:08 PM
What's the gist of why they don't like them?

(to be taken with a grain of salt, naturally, but I am curious...)

dont get me wrong its a strong machine but visibility wise its not as good as the bobcat with those big loader arms in the way. dont like the way the front door is set up either

Tigerotor77W
08-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Gotcha -- thanks for the replies!

mrsops
08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Gotcha -- thanks for the replies!

tiger i take it your a deere guy?

crab
08-13-2008, 10:29 PM
no he is a cat man through and through!:laugh:

YellowDogSVC
08-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Well, I'm up to 16 hours on the machine. 11 are actually mine. So far the s330 seems to have more power than the CAT when grinding but it doesn't use the power as efficiently. Still get a stall in travel or lift arm function when engaging the rotor on the brush mower. I'm still running the CAT mower. My s330 is "overclocked" to borrow a computer term. I went just over 5 hours on high flow before refueling. Could go 6-7 on the CAT on some days. Stalling on brush and logs is about the same or slightly better with the Bobcat but the rotor speed seems much better and the mulching of hard wood like oak logs is much better so far with the Bobcat.

Though I am not comfortable at all in the bobcat seat, after being back in the cab with cold A/C that actually works, I am overall more comfy. I went with the joysticks this time in the bobcat and they not only feel better but seem to respond better though there is a slight delay. My cat would actually have a long delay on some days and often it wouldn't lift at all until I moved the machine forward:confused:

I will post a better review soon. I really like the new bobcat gauges though I am waiting for my book to see what all it does. The Bobcat amics system is much better than what I had in the CAT and much, much easier to use. The CAT amics seemed like a cheap car clock you get in the automotive section at Wal Mart.

Power is pretty awesome. I will be moving wet road base tomorrow and will know more about that. I am glad to have a real man sized bucket again!

The biggest thing that I noticed was that though it was dusty and hot today, my cab stayed cleaned. In fact, my air filter didn't look too bad (inside cab) but more than that I was fairly clean. I did a good job of sealing this cab (took about 2 days of trial and error) but so far it has made a big difference in comfort. My door seals great, I siliconed the gaps in the windows and may just seal them shut. Painted the roof white, covered half the moonroof with white paint, and though it hit 100 again today, I was cool enough to be comfy in the cab. I was grinding out in the sun, no shade, and though I have no love for the Bobcat A/C blower, my love handles stayed cold all afternoon. Chill the core, chill the man! ;0) (I will install my usually fan to assist the air flow up high and that should help)

Anyway, for those that interested, I'll post some pics and a better review later. I will compare the s330 that I modded (now an 8840lb) machine to the CAT 272c (8400lb machine) and I'll talk about the good and bad of both. I'm not here to bash CAT as everyone knows. I had my problems but I also made money when that machine was working. I just think that Bobcat has the power to weight ration with an 85 hp machine if they can keep the weight down like I did. Why they have to add big goofy tires, weights, and armor, who knows. If they bumped up the S300's to the S330's v3800 motor, they would have a winning combo especially for demanding high flow applications.

ksss
08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I look forward to the comparison.

Junior M
08-13-2008, 11:55 PM
yellow i noticed you missed the air ride seat that was in the cat... do you or does anyone know why bobcat doesnt put an air ride seat in there skids? that is the one thing that i really dont like about bobcat..

sorry didnt mean to hi jack your thread...

Tigerotor77W
08-13-2008, 11:59 PM
no he is a cat man through and through!:laugh:

Aha! Quoted to show the world that Cat (or its fanboys, anyhow) does care about its customers. :D

I'm interested in the industry, so it's always interesting to me to see the operators' opinions out there.