PDA

View Full Version : Bidding on a Sod job

bigclawnman
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Ok guys. I have a small sod job to do, but not really sure how to bid it or charge for it. Is there like a flat fee per sq foot, or do you just figure out how long it will take you and charge an hourly fee plus the materials. Would apprecaite any help you can give me. Thanks

Lawnworks
08-01-2008, 12:33 AM
I charge by the day... I need to make a certain amount of money per day to get the profit margin I need.

Square foot pricing doesn't really work out that well for me. Small sod jobs can blow a day quick.

mybowtie
08-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Theres a lot a variables. Do a search..there have been several threads on this in the past few weeks. Some areas were MUCH less expensive then others. Sod prices varried from less then $100 per 600sqft pallet to almost $200 for the same pallet.
I will take 2 guys about 1/2 hr to lay a pallet. Is any prep work required?
Topsoil, compost, fert,??

JNyz
08-01-2008, 06:09 PM
You should be good if you bid 1.00/sq ft, unless it is under 500 sq. then you will have to bid more.

socallawndude
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
I agree there are huge discrepancies amongst regions. Being in Southern California I can tell you things are typically more expensive, but a good deal of that is offset by lowballing from our neighbors to the south...but I would say from my own experience just bid on the basis of man hours and if you work over, just eat it; otherwise if it takes less time you're stoked.

socallawndude
08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
And all it takes it once to know how long a certain job will take you, then you're better prepared in the future.